PDA

View Full Version : To make a flint and steel.

andy202wr
22-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Would I be right in saying that you can make a steel for use in a old style flint and steel from a old square file if you grind the rough sides down.

luresalive
22-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Provided it's a decent quality carbon steel then yes you can, I used to buy forged steels at £15 plus each till I bought old files at the carboot for 50p each broke themin pieces and got 3 or 4 steels from each file and all work perfectly!

rossbird
22-10-2011, 10:20 PM
One of my (many) projects is to find flint!

Martin
23-10-2011, 06:06 PM
One of my (many) projects is to find flint!

You need to find chalky soil. Not too sure up your way but the Berks and Wilts downs are a good place down south.

Martin

rossbird
23-10-2011, 06:10 PM
You need to find chalky soil. Not too sure up your way but the Berks and Wilts downs are a good place down south.

Martin
That's my biggest challenge Martin....all grit stone around here.
I did read somewhere flint is possible,locally just not easy.

bushcraftboy
23-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Well I made my flint and steel from a block of black flint from my local beach, and the steel from a stanley blade, I blunted it. I also find flint in my fathers garden, the whole front garden is decorated with flint, as many other gardens are.

Martin
23-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Well I made my flint and steel from a block of black flint from my local beach, and the steel from a stanley blade, I blunted it. I also find flint in my fathers garden, the whole front garden is decorated with flint, as many other gardens are.

A Stanley blade eh? Have you ever managed to get a fire started with this set up??

Martin

bushcraftboy
23-10-2011, 09:14 PM
A Stanley blade eh? Have you ever managed to get a fire started with this set up??

Martin

Yeah very easy too, just some char cloth and blow it into a flame, I used normal dried grass from my back garden :)