PDA

View Full Version : Gearpods

comanighttrain
22-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Just seen these advertised by greenmans bushcraft...

http://www.gearpods.com/

What you make of these?

seems like a pretty well designed bit of kit! Although the kit they are selling doesn't include the shelter tarp and bivi

http://greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/survival/gearpods-backcountry.htm

happybonzo
22-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure who this sort of thing would aimed at; probably people who think by keeping something like this in their car that they are prepared for anything.
I should imagine that the Gearpods come from over the Pond
They do seem a tad expensive for the likes of ordinary mortals :)

JEEP
22-10-2011, 12:48 PM
They actually look kinda' cool, I can imagine they could be quite handy, especially if you nead to haul around a lot of tiny bits and bobs. But, at the end of the day; they do nothing that cheap set of tupperware-(ish) containers and half an houers work at the sewing machine, with some nylon, couldn't do - at a fraction of the price.
I have a system, very similar, for some of my fishing gear - based on some tube shaped containers with a screw on lid (I belive they came with some swimwear Maria bought a while ago).

Products like these are really neat - but they are almost always ridiculously overpriced. If it becomes a succes though, there will almost certainly be cheaper versions available from other manufacturers soon.

Personally I use an assortment of drybags for this kind of organizing, with smaller stuff seperated into zip-lock bags and small tins/"tupperware" containers.

Their pre-packaged "survival" sets are, at least, better then the Bear Grylls branded ones from Gerber. But I still think that the purchase of a "survival" kit like these, without the proper training and knowledge, leads to nothing but a false sense of security.

happybonzo
22-10-2011, 04:04 PM
But I still think that the purchase of a "survival" kit like these, without the proper training and knowledge, leads to nothing but a false sense of security.

my bold - and that just about sums it up

andy202wr
22-10-2011, 08:02 PM
They look great. Bet you can make one quite cheep thoe. I may have a go later. Watch this space

Realearner
23-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm sure a trip to the local plumbing store would produce round tube and screwed end caps of various diameters!
Dam I wish I had thought of that money making idea.

happybonzo
23-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Tupperware used to do a click together tub system and I think that Lakeland Plastics do something along those lines

jus_young
23-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Round things always waste space. I am another one that uses resealable freezer bags for packing. You can squeeze out any air, pack everything tight and and use the bags for other things if required. The bags also come in a variety of sizes depending on what you need them for, and its cheap!

J_P
24-10-2011, 09:03 AM
looks like another bit of tat you would never actually ever use eternaly doomed to be banish to the kit storage area ;)

happybonzo
24-10-2011, 10:47 AM
looks like another bit of tat you would never actually ever use eternaly doomed to be banish to the kit storage area ;)

Harsh but probably true :)

Whistle
24-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Hmmmmm ... looks good but sooooooo expensive !!! and when you think about it well , you guys have echoed my thoughts exactly !!!
Hard round things waste space , not a flexible system , odd tupperware / storage boxes work better and can be found in sizes exactly suited to need .
Personaly I'm with JEEP and Jus_young on this , using a mixture of Exped dry bags in different colours / sizes , assorted clik-loc and sistema hard plastic sealable containers and according to need , assorted sizes of ziplock baggies and re-cycled ( sorry , re-used... ) food containers . For example , I have a green plastic screw lidded polypropylene container which used to have prunes in and Exactly! fits the outer side pockets of my Maxpedition Sabercat !
I prefer to use hard plastic containers for food as defense against vermin , having had a family camping trip ruined when a family of field mice got into the crunchy nut corn flakes !!! hahaha !!!
Cheers Whistle

Rob
24-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Found a review of it here (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=348-Wilderness-1-2-1-GearPods) (done by John Fenna).