PDA

View Full Version : Char Cloth and Fire Lighting

Humakt
20-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Made a video yesterday on making char cloth and using it to make a fire.
You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_cgpTPOZE

Comments and thought gratefully appreciated.

still water
20-10-2011, 09:50 AM
thats a good vid chap iv not seen it done on a stove before. i like your strikers i use a broken file aswell, did you file down one side to make it smooth as this gets you more sparks than if its left with a filing edge on.?

Humakt
20-10-2011, 10:38 AM
i like your strikers i use a broken file aswell, did you file down one side to make it smooth as this gets you more sparks than if its left with a filing edge on.?

I did, yes.
I find the old file striker gives more sparks than the purpose-made striker. It was made from a very old file, and one that must have had been made from a good carbon steel. They don't make tools like they used to...

still water
20-10-2011, 10:50 AM
no your right they dont. do you find that your posh striker slips in your grip now and then were the file stays still? i do. plus the file can be used to sharpen cutting tools wile out.

Humakt
20-10-2011, 12:52 PM
no your right they dont. do you find that your posh striker slips in your grip now and then were the file stays still? i do. plus the file can be used to sharpen cutting tools wile out.

Yes, I do!
The serrations on the file mean it's easy to keep a firm grip.
The file striker is so much better than the posh one - for grip and amount of sparks.

still water
21-10-2011, 09:22 AM
i was looking at some old files in the shed last night put up along side some new ones and the difference between the quality of steel is mad they dont make things like they used to. i found a realy old one that the cuts have all but worn down so thats going to be broken into 3 bits and made into strikers.

rossbird
21-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Nice vid, thanks.
Didn't realise the smoke was toxic, but then if your using 'well worn underpants':D

Great Buffy Sainte -Marie track.

Adam Savage
21-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice video mate. Thanks for sharing.
I must admit, when I make charcloth, I just chuck the tin in a fire, wait for the flame from the hole to go out, then retrieve it. But maybe that's because I am lazy haha :p