PDA

View Full Version : How to make sloe gin the easy way.

kINGPIN
18-10-2011, 07:13 PM
With the first frost on the way I thought I would make a post on my blog showing how to make sloe gin/vodka. There are no photos at the moment as I am away from home at the moment but I'll put some on this weekend. For anyone thats never made it it is very simple. If you have never made sloe gin before then try it this year as it seems to be a really good year for the sloes which surprised me due to the dodgy weather we have had.

http://thesecretcamper.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-make-sloe-gin-easy-way-photos-on.html

If I can turn just one responsible person here into a sloe gin addict then my job here is done!:cool:

ElementOwl
18-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I keep intending to have a go at sloe gin, one of the finest beverages going. I walked past the on the shelf stuff in Waitrose over the weekend. Salivation turned to "how much!!!" when I spotted the price. I will look forward to reading your advice when I am back on a proper computer & can jot things down.

kINGPIN
18-10-2011, 07:41 PM
No need to jot it down mate, its as simple as it gets. Only thing I didn't mention is to use any cheap gin. My photos arent up yet but Iused branded stuff only because the bottle was clear so you could see it for the how to. Acording to the news it seems like the first frost is officially happening tommorrow so you are just in time.

kINGPIN
18-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Crackin blog you have mate, you have a new follower. :)

bigzee
18-10-2011, 09:03 PM
The last couple of times I've made this, I've put the sloes in the freezer. When you take them out and make the mix up, the skins have ruptures in them (from the frost), which takes the "donkey work" out by not having to prick them. It also means you can pick them and freeze them whenever you find them, then add the sugar and gin later at your convenience.

kINGPIN
18-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Thats right, the only reason I don't freeze them is that I am too lazy to wait. I only make a bottle or two at a time these days so it takes no time at all to prick them.

ElementOwl
19-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks very much ;) it is always a pleasure to drop in on your blog and read of your exploits too. I found your secret camper blog here a little while back on the woodland tales forum.

Thanks also for these tips, the frost and bigzee's freezer hints have stopped me jumping the gun and going collecting too early (I have found a few good sources for sloes on my wanders). A couple of years ago I did find a reasonably priced bottle of sloe gin sitting on the back shelf of a shop. Naturally I grabbed it! when I took it to the till the lady serving me started telling me of her sloe gin making techniques. She also said it is not worth spending a fortune on expensive gin, some of her best brews had been made with what she referred to as "old gut rot gin"

bigzee
19-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Sloes are also a dream to pick (compared to say blackberries). The thorns are easy to avoid and the fruit can easily be wrestled from the bush without crushing - owing to the stones. What beautiful colours too!

Reaps72
19-10-2011, 10:53 AM
With the first frost on the way I thought I would make a post on my blog showing how to make sloe gin/vodka. There are no photos at the moment as I am away from home at the moment but I'll put some on this weekend. For anyone thats never made it it is very simple. If you have never made sloe gin before then try it this year as it seems to be a really good year for the sloes which surprised me due to the dodgy weather we have had.

http://thesecretcamper.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-make-sloe-gin-easy-way-photos-on.htmlIf I can turn just one responsible person here into a sloe gin addict then my job here is done!:cool:

Nice one I did mine last week after a cold snap here in yorkshire! + I cheated & put the sloes in the freezer! I have done a simple gin & a spiced sloe rum too !
Cant wait I keep giving them a little shake the colour already is great!
Here's my recipe! Not too sweet!

Sloe Gin
Ingredients Makes 1 litre
500g sloes
200gcaster sugar
1 litre gin
Clean & freeze the sloes then crush the sloes lightly in a plastic bag.
Mix in a sterilised container with the Gin & Sugar.
Seal & leave for at least 3 months agitating daily.

The rum is the same but with 1 vanilla pod, 1/2 stick cinnamon, 4 cloves & 1 star anise.

kINGPIN
26-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Here you go guys. I have now uploaded the photos. Thanks for your input and patience. Hope you like.