PDA

View Full Version : Camping knots phone app giveaway

Bernie
14-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I watched a great video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-CwJNEkcs) on YouTube about how to tie some of the common knots. It inspired me to write an app for my Android phone. It includes instructions for these useful knots:

Overhand
Figure Eight
Square (Reef)
Sheet Bend
Bowline
Clove hitch
Evenk style
Prusik
Alpine Butterfly

I'm not sure how some phones/devices let you install applications, but here are the app files for three devices I can support without having to pay Apple for the privilege of building the app for their iOS.

For Android devices, you need the APK file.
For WebOS devices, you need the IPK file.
For Symbian devices, you need the WGZ file.

You can find them here:
https://skydrive.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Android%20Apps/Camping%20knots?cid=0543a98e13160818&sc=documents

If you have Android:

1. Plug in your phone and use it as a disk drive
2. Copy the APK file to the phone's drive
3. You'll need something like ES File Explorer (great tool, get it free from the Market)
4. Use ES File Explorer to find the APK and open it. It'll prompt to install.

It requests Internet connection, but doesn't use it. That's a drawback I'm willing to accept for the convenience of writing once and running on almost any device.

Please let me know if you find any bugs, or if there's anything you'd like added or removed.

Enjoy!
Bernie :D

PS. If you want to see the source code for this app, it's open source: https://github.com/bernhard-hofmann/CampingKnots

MikeWilkinson
14-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Try doing a search for Knots guide on Android market place - it is free and has about 92 knots on it. It is pretty good too.

Bernie
14-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I see one by "SusaSoftX", and one by "Life Software". Which do you have?

Also, is it advert free? I hate adverts.

MikeWilkinson
14-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I have the SusaSoftx one. There is an add banner along the bottom, however the content is really good, even has a history of the knots too!

Bernie
14-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Mine is a super simple step-by-step knot instruction of only a few knots. I found (at least when I was trying to learn) that there were just too many knots. I don't need to know 92 knots or their history, I just need to know a handful of knots that I'll never forget (hopefully) once I've learnt them.

I'm not knocking the other apps, I'm sure there are plenty of people that are interested in more knots than what my app shows. I'm just saying we have different audiences and intentions. Mine is for beginners, which is why I posted in the beginners section.

But I'm happy to learn from other apps like that one and improve mine. Thing is, once it does what I want I lose interest. :)

MikeWilkinson
14-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the App, just though i'd point you in the direction of some others out there, so you could see what others have produced. The one mentioned above just happened to have all the ones I use in and a good description of them and there uses. When I can find the cable for my phone I will be definitely checking yours out!! :p

Bernie
14-10-2011, 03:49 PM
No no no Mike - I should be sorry. I didn't mean to sound so defensive. It's all good mate. If people are learning the right knots then we're winning; regardless of who's app they use. :)

Thumbcrusher
15-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Well thanks for sharing that with everyone Bernie and for taking the time and trouble to make the app.

I wouldn't know where to start!!

Bernie
15-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Well thanks for sharing that with everyone Bernie and for taking the time and trouble to make the app.

I wouldn't know where to start!!

Thanks Thumbcrusher, it's not that difficult really, not for a simple app like mine. The more you want to integrate with device features like camera and storage, the more difficult it gets. For simple lists of knots and then step by step instructions, it's simple because there's hardly any interaction and all the lists and screens are prepared beforehand.

If anyone has an idea and wants to make it into an app then I'll help as much as I can.

Suba
04-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks Bernie, just installed it now. A great little app with nice and clear instructions and photies. You don't fancy doing a Farimond and Truckers hitch as well do you - I always forget!

Fletching
04-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Baie dankie vir die source code meneer!

Steve :)

m0txr
04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
A great app, thanks Bernie.

BushcraftJustin
07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks very much for that Bernie!
Justin