PDA

View Full Version : Hammock or Ground?

Ashley Cawley
09-10-2011, 08:36 PM
How do you camp the majority of the time?

Bernie
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Ground because I don't have a hammock. Hammocks interest me because camping in the wet just ends up with mud everywhere.

jus_young
09-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Ground dweller. Have often thought about, and looked at, hammocks but I know the ground is always there whereas trees are not. The travel hammock has got me thinking though, but the weight of this along with a tarp and accesories adds up to as much as my Banshee so I'm going through the justification process at the moment which probably means I will get one in the not too distant future :D

sblethyn
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I used to be a ground type of guy until one night under Helvellyn when it was raining cats and dogs, everyone got soaked from the ground up apart from me. I was swinging in the trees and apart from a drip running down the cord (won't happen again) I was dry as a bone under my tarp. Lovely. Swinging all the time now!

Roadkillphil
09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Used to be a ground dweller too, but then when I left the Army I got tangled up in a genetic mutation accident and became half Monkey. Now I Surf like a monkey, jump (off cliffs) like a monkey and I have an irresistable urge to climb trees. So sleeping in trees feels more natural to me now.
I use a travel hammock so the ground can be an option, but I've not tried using it as a bivi bag yet.
In all seriousness, Matt introduced me to hammocks, and I was dubious, but after my first night swinging in a tree I've not looked back. :D

GwersyllaCnau
09-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Ground, but looking forward to venturing into the trees soon.

sblethyn
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I feel a song coming on.... Wellllllllll, I'm the king of the swingers yeah... sorry, couldn't resist! Ex-army also Mr Roadkill

Silverback
09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
When sober, swinging from 2 trees..........when not sober........anywhere I lay my hat

Martin
10-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I primarily use a tent these days. I've gone from tent to hammock and back to tent again. I just like being able to spread all my gear out and to have my own little space, although in the case of my teepee it's not such a little space.

The next time we go to Woodland Valley, I'll probably take the hammock again but this weekend on Dartmoor will definitely be the tent, mainly because it's lighter weight.

Martin

ANDYRAF
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I am a ground dweller when camping with the scouts, but a tree hanger when out on my own. The reason behind this is when I sling the hammock near the scouts I can't keep the little perishers out of it, with their muddy boots.

Andy:guns:

MikeWilkinson
10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I do a bit of both, depending on where I am and what the terrain dictates, mostly I end up hammocking, as in general I like to stop in sheltered areas such as wood copses and forests. However living up by the moors means that I'm not always able to, so setting up a Tarp Bivvi in the lee of a hill or mound is all I can do.

LandRoverMatt
10-10-2011, 03:24 PM
hammocks because your of the bumpy ground , your not going to get your sleeping bag dirty from the ground.
I find it very hard to sleep on the ground so thats why I use a hammock.

rossbird
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Groundhog, I can see the potential of Hammocks.

Would I be right in thinking hammocking is heavier?

andy202wr
10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I was a ground dweller but changed to Hammock sleeping when I picked one up for £2:00 at a car boot (knocked him down from a fiver). I put a sleeping mat between the two layers and suspend it from two trees under a tarp. A lot more comfortable and I get a better nights sleep.

Terry
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
I have always camped on the ground and still do, but i recently bought a hammock and have yet to try it out so the jurys out on that.

jus_young
10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Groundhog, I can see the potential of Hammocks.

Would I be right in thinking hammocking is heavier?

Not neccessarily heavier although this would depend on what type of tent you use. If you look at DD hammocks and tarps your probably looking at around 1.5 - 2 kilos. The swingers would have an idea of their total weights.

Edwin
10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Never tried a hammock but I wonder at shifting position in them. Very comfy lying on back when you first get in but what if you want to turn on your side? And, if you then want to turn to other side if, say, leg aches?

Ashley Cawley
10-10-2011, 11:01 PM
I was a ground dweller but changed to Hammock sleeping when I picked one up for £2:00 at a car boot (knocked him down from a fiver). I put a sleeping mat between the two layers and suspend it from two trees under a tarp. A lot more comfortable and I get a better nights sleep.Well done on beating them down and getting a bargain!
T^

Adam Savage
11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Hammock all the way. A little tip: Sometimes DD have seconds, which they sell of cheap. The only fault I've seen so far with them, is untidy stitching and loops, etc in slightly the wrong place. Could be worth looking into.

Metal mug
11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Ground dweller, it makes it harder for the farmers to shoot you. ;)

Used to use hammocks a lot though.

mike 01302
07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
not sure if anyone else suffers or if its just me but the last couple of times i have used a hammock i get bad leg aches and pins n needles. could i be hanging it too tight or not tight enough ?? any help would be great thanks mike :)

Adam Savage
07-11-2011, 11:05 PM
What make of hammock are you using?

Adam

Ben Casey
07-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Hammock is the best nights sleep I ever get it is even better than my bed :)

Ben Casey
07-11-2011, 11:31 PM
not sure if anyone else suffers or if its just me but the last couple of times i have used a hammock i get bad leg aches and pins n needles. could i be hanging it too tight or not tight enough ?? any help would be great thanks mike :)

Sounds like your legs are to high up I get it sometimes then in the day I do a couple of adjustments and it is great :)

Adam Savage
07-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Likewise. Sounds like the hammock is too slack to be honest, causing your legs to be too high, reducing blood flow to them. I would suggest slightly more tension and set the foot end of the hammock a few inches higher than the head end, but just enough to keep your body weight in the same place while you sleep. If you have the foot end level with the head, the body mass (which is around your torso) will "drag" your body down and slide your legs up the hammock. It's a fine line between high enough to stop this, and too high.

Bernie
08-11-2011, 07:00 AM

What do you wear when you sleep in a hammock? Could be that your trousers are twisting around your upper thigh and cutting off the blood stream.

Drphoto
21-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Used to be a ground dweller but recently bought a tenth wonder hammock. I tried it in the house and it stopped my back aching on the first night. Been sleeping in it nearly every night( we've got scaffolding in the house at the moment) since then. Thinking about getting rid of the bed in the house altogether.

treefrog
21-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't mind kickin back for half an hour in a hammock, but I like my North Face with a nice big vestibule to stash my stuff under, and with a mesh attic and pockets, etc.
I especially like a tent in a raging thunderstorm.

Al21
06-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Hammock, bivy bag or tent as appropriate for me. Comfort wise, a hammock can't be beat generally. Sometimes though it just easier to use a bivy bag under a tarp with the canoe. For gnarly weather and areas troubled within tiny biters, it's out with the geodesic dome with noseeum netting.

So, I'd vote, but I need an all of the above to choose.

Al

ElementOwl
06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't tend to do overnight sleeps so I haven't looked into using hammocks much. I do enjoy catching a few minutes snooze curled up against the trunk and roots of a tree though.

jus_young
06-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Shopping list just been given to the wife for DD hammock and bits for SLS for my xmas pressie :)

Adam Savage
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
That reminds me, I have been gifted a dyneema SLS line and prussocks. I must test them out this weekend....

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
That reminds me, I have been gifted a dyneema SLS line and prussocks. I must test them out this weekend....

Have fun mate :D

Adam Savage
07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I may have to fiddle with my hammock ends, before I can use it. Either way, it'll be interesting lol.

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I may have to fiddle with my hammock ends, before I can use it. Either way, it'll be interesting lol.

I have a couple if spare webbing straps as I bought some new system from DD's the Whoopie Slings not tried them yet though that should be fun when I do :)

cuppa joe
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Ground because I don't have a hammock. Hammocks interest me because camping in the wet just ends up with mud everywhere. I second that...same reasons.

AdrianRose
07-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Hammock all the way with me. My DD Frontline and 3x3 tarp are my link with a great nights sleep, a comfortable sofa during the day and my ability to escape the insanity of work life and bills.

Ade

Ashley Cawley
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Hammock all the way with me. My DD Frontline and 3x3 tarp are my link with a great nights sleep, a comfortable sofa during the day and my ability to escape the insanity of work life and bills.

AdeHehe.. yeah I love my Hammock to, wish I had room to set it up in my office, might do that once I get the attic converted!

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Hehe.. yeah I love my Hammock to, wish I had room to set it up in my office, might do that once I get the attic converted!

Same here I paid 800 quid for a bed and I sleep better in my hammock :)

kabishka
14-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I've never slept in a hammock, but what puzzles me is, where do you put your gear if its raining badly? will it stay dry under you, or would you have to put it under its own cover etc?

Adam Savage
14-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I've never slept in a hammock, but what puzzles me is, where do you put your gear if its raining badly? will it stay dry under you, or would you have to put it under its own cover etc?

It usually stays dry under you/your tarp, but a lot of people either make a tripod to hang their pack from, or set up a netted hammock to store kit in, sometimes overhead (a kit loft), sometimes underneath (kit sling), sometimes alongside (tandem), sometimes under it's own tarp nearby. I personally never put kit directly under me, or on top, as if any knots give way, or cordage breaks, it ends in tears :D.

Ben Casey
15-12-2011, 08:21 AM
I just stick mine against a tree somewhere :D

AdrianRose
15-12-2011, 08:49 AM
I just stick mine against a tree somewhere :D

I think on a dry day this is fine but in wet weather the rain water will just run down the outside of the tree and straight onto ones backpack.

When I know the ground is going to be wet I sling a net under hammock below my main hammock ( I think it cost me £5). I put my Bergen in this and the majority of the contents are attached/hung from a utility line strung below the tarp & above the hammock. I do tend to slide all the gear towards the foot end tho just incase.
Ade

tadpole
15-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I’ve tried hammocking, what a week of misery, took several attempts to get it right, (level and comfortable) but I’d sleep for an hour, then wake up, then try to drop off, an hour later I was awake again. My DD was too short and to narrow, the cords have too much give and either stretch so much I’m folded in half by the morning or as happened the last time let in the rain so I ended up with wet feet. Getting out for my midnight walk was a pain. The mat never stays where it is meant to, and I ended up with cold spot and a sore neck. I love my (magikelly) hammock for kipping for an hour in the garden, but ground dweller I’m doomed to be.

Adam Savage
15-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I think on a dry day this is fine but in wet weather the rain water will just run down the outside of the tree and straight onto ones backpack.

When I know the ground is going to be wet I sling a net under hammock below my main hammock ( I think it cost me £5). I put my Bergen in this and the majority of the contents are attached/hung from a utility line strung below the tarp & above the hammock. I do tend to slide all the gear towards the foot end tho just incase.
Ade

Great method there Ade. i have a net hammock that cost around £5 (kindly gifted to me by Paul Standley), which I use from time to time. Asda I think it came from.

Adam Savage
15-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I’ve tried hammocking, what a week of misery, took several attempts to get it right, (level and comfortable) but I’d sleep for an hour, then wake up, then try to drop off, an hour later I was awake again. My DD was too short and to narrow, the cords have too much give and either stretch so much I’m folded in half by the morning or as happened the last time let in the rain so I ended up with wet feet. Getting out for my midnight walk was a pain. The mat never stays where it is meant to, and I ended up with cold spot and a sore neck. I love my (magikelly) hammock for kipping for an hour in the garden, but ground dweller I’m doomed to be.

It certainly isn't for everyone, no matter how they try to fix the issues, there are always problems that can't be fixed. You either like it or you don't. Maybe one day, someone will come up with "the" perfect hammock, that all will like....but I doubt it lol.

Al21
15-12-2011, 12:19 PM

It does take a bit of adjusting to get a hammock rig to suit. I struggled to get mine right until I camped with some regular hammock users who kindly helped me sort things out.

Here's my set-up:

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt23/acgirling/Woodcraft/P9181599.jpg

That's a DD 3X3 tarp with a Nomad XXL hammock and a Snugpak underquilt. I found my thermarest wouldn't stay in place either, but the underblanket raises the comfort stakes to luxury levels! The real secret for me was lying at a slight diagonal in the hammock as this flattens out the hammock nicely.

While the image shows the tarp rigged square on, if the weather is unlikely to stay dry then I'll rig it diamond fashion to give better coverage and ensure the crabs are covered properly.

To be fair, using a hammock is a perfect excuse to spend lots of time faffing about and tweaking your camping set-up. Though I still find it hard to believe whole forums have sprung up dedicated to there use.

Al

tadpole
15-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok soooooooooooo, next time I'm out (it will be March now) I'll pester a few tree dwellers to show me how to set up my magikelly and ebay 3x4 tarp. (still going to take my tent and set that up) :evilgrin:

Al21
15-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Ok soooooooooooo, next time I'm out (it will be March now) I'll pester a few tree dwellers to show me how to set up my magikelly and ebay 3x4 tarp. (still going to take my tent and set that up) :evilgrin:

Can't fault having a back-up plan! :)

Al

LandRoverMatt
15-12-2011, 12:48 PM
www.mattthehammockcamper.co.uk
|
its in the name :D

Gus1990
27-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Wow there are many happy hammockers out there! I'm a ground dweller myself, we seem to be under represented!

To be honest hammocking never occured to me as most of my trips are by myself and i never realised they were an option. However i met up with a local bushcrafter recently who happened to use a hammock and he showed me the ropes (sorry I couldn't resist) :rolleye: I used a tarp and bivi for a long distance walk across scotland this summer and now I have all the kit I'll probably stay on the ground.

Here is a set up I used on a trip into the caledonian forest early this summer:

I use a waterproofed cotton tatonka tarp. If i'm staying in place for more than one night and if there are materials handy, I construct a bed like in the photo. Otherwise I just quickly line the ground with some vegetation, eg bracken, spruce bows or heather to keep the mud off the bottom of my kit and the bottom of my bivi. I find this to be especially necessary if it's raining while I set up, or if it has been raining recently...things can get muddy pretty quickly if you are directly on the wet ground.

But the biggest reason for me to stay on the ground is to have a fire burning nearby through the night, especially a long log fire when its cold. :campfire:

(anyone know why the picture came out so small? (i'm new to the forum)

Ben Casey
27-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Gus I like your setup :)

Gus1990
27-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks, constructing a bed is quite time consuming, I suppose thats the advantage of a hammock: instant comfort!

Ashley Cawley
28-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Hammocking comfortably is something you need to learn, for most it's a process of tweaking & adjusting your setup, you learn from your mistakes and improve and in the end you can have an incredibly comfortable night sleep. I've spent many nights on the floor and many in the trees and now I've got my hammock setup sorted every night in my hammock is without fail is more comfortable than any night I've ever experienced camping on the floor.

I slept in my hammock last night (Dec) and woke up briefly twice because I was too warm :)

I did a video a couple of years ago to introduce people to hammocking... although I should do a newer one to include all the tricks I've learnt since :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OhtWrIInE

anyone know why the picture came out so small? (i'm new to the forum)

They always show up with a fairly small thumbnail but users can click on them to enlarge it :)

Jimmy69
28-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I have always camped on the ground, armed with bivi bag and sleeping bag. Although i'd love to give the hammock a try. Where i normally go roaming isn't always woodland and i'm usualy only surrounded by heather, bracken and rocks. But i have to admit it does look really comfy! :)

Metal mug
28-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Has anyone used the travel hammock as bivi bag, and if so what was it like? :confused:

jus_young
28-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Has anyone used the travel hammock as bivi bag, and if so what was it like? :confused:

Not yet but now I have got mine for christmas I am hoping for numerous opportunities to try different setups :)

Ashley Cawley
29-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Not yet but now I have got mine for christmas I am hoping for numerous opportunities to try different setups :)
OOoo - enjoy :)

50 / 50 on the poll at the moment!

Opal
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
This is/was my set up,

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/opaldan/avior1.jpg

got to start looking at all these hammock posts from now on, I bought a cheap hammock last year from TKMaxx (about £7 I think) to try out and see what all the fuss was about, felt comfy enough but I didn't go any further, things will have to change.

jus_young
01-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Well it looks like you have the tarp already so with the DD Hammock you should be well away, happy hanging :D

Saxon
01-01-2012, 09:35 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/highandry_photos/greenwood005.jpg

Just to help the poll out..This is me..;)

Opal
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Well it looks like you have the tarp already so with the DD Hammock you should be well away, happy hanging :D

It'll be going up in me garden for all the learnin', my wife will probably have lonely nights, mind you, she'd probably say she has lonely nights as it is. :rolleyes:

Adam Savage
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
What if you choose to sleep off of the ground, but still in a tent?

http://www.deconcrete.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/vertical-mountaineering-camp.jpg

Martin
07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I must admit, I have always looked at those climbing tents with a somewhat queezy stomach. I don't think I'd get a very good night's sleep no matter how comfortable they are.

Martin

Realearner
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Well going to go for ham mocking this year, so I am hoping it will ease my back from being stuck on the ground.

Terry
07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
You wouldnt want to get up in the night for a call of nature would you..

Adam Savage
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't mind heights, but I still wouldn't sleep in one of those. I'd rather finish going up, or coming down, then make camp. Mind you, I bet they don't get bothered by bears...lol

markal17
07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
NO WAY would i sleep up there not for all the best kit in the world that just looks crazy to me

Saxon
07-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Instant cure for sleepwalkers...

Ben Casey
08-01-2012, 08:20 AM
My bessy mate Bear was on TV the other day and he set a parachute up and done that it looked very dodgy :)

Shawn
22-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I sleep on the ground. There aren't a lot of trees where I usually go. I've been looking at hammocks for use elsewhere, but I'm not sure I would like it.

El
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Ground dweller ...never tried a hammock....so how do you "cuddle" up with your wife/girlfriend during the night in a hammock?:camping:

ssmithy
13-04-2012, 03:37 PM
I sleep on the ground with a bivi bag and tarp. thinking of trying a hammock but not sure it would suit me, i sleep on my front and i think in a hammock it would'nt
work

Marvell
13-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Ground dweller ...never tried a hammock....so how do you "cuddle" up with your wife/girlfriend during the night in a hammock?:camping:

I've "cuddled" in a hammock before now. I assure you, it's not that comfy :)

Ben Casey
13-04-2012, 03:58 PM
At the R.V. at the weekend I had the best nights sleeps I have had in months I slept through from 23:00 till about 07:00 not getting up once :) Since I have been back to a normal bed I havent slept through one night without being up in pain most of the night :(

All I can say is I love my hammock and I'm looking at getting it setup at home to sleep in permenantly :)

Adam Savage
13-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I sleep on the ground with a bivi bag and tarp. thinking of trying a hammock but not sure it would suit me, i sleep on my front and i think in a hammock it would'nt
work

You're quite right, laying on your front can't be done in a hammock, unless you are a gymnast or a contortionist :D

Kernowek Scouser
14-04-2012, 03:47 PM
At the R.V. at the weekend I had the best nights sleeps I have had in months I slept through from 23:00 till about 07:00 not getting up once :) Since I have been back to a normal bed I havent slept through one night without being up in pain most of the night :(

All I can say is I love my hammock and I'm looking at getting it setup at home to sleep in permenantly :)

As a kid I used to sleep in a hammock and always had a great nights kip. Not the most practical sleeping option when you introduce women and alcohol into the equation though!

I'm keeping my options open. I have my tiny Gelert Solo tent (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17643172) and a DD Scout Hammock (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DD-SCOUT-HAMMOCK-Camping-Hiking-Bushcraft-/320853028697?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab454af59#ht_3079wt_1139).
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/images/pics/104549_2011_sollo_main.jpghttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDQ3MA==/$(KGrHqJ,!gwE8NWumGjnBPQh51ksgw~~60_12.JPG

And, I've recently ordered an ex army basha (http://www.guardsarmygear.com/genuine-british-army-basha-p-89.html) and a Polish Army sleeping mat (http://www.militarymart.co.uk//polish-army-sleeping-mat/prod_1778.html)
http://www.guardsarmygear.com/images/!BgcOF6Q!2k~$(KGrHqIOKj!Ery0JkcGMBLFV,G1-Hw~~_12[1].jpghttp://www.militarymart.co.uk/images/uploads/camping/camp%20beds/Polish_sleeping_mat.jpg
So I can carry on tenting, try my hand at swinging or give the basha and a bedroll a go.

:D

Adam Savage
14-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Now that looks like a comfy bed roll :D. I'm surprised Martin hasn't swapped his double divan for one :p

Ben Casey
14-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Thinking about it some people turned up with a lot of quilts at the R.V. LOL

That bed roll does look nice though T^

I got drunk last year and had no probs in my hammock I havent tried it out yet with a girl in the hammock but I think it could work :D Maybe we need some one to do a test and write a review :please: :happy-clapping: :D

Adam Savage
14-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I havent tried it out yet with a girl in the hammock but I think it could work :D Maybe we need some one to do a test and write a review :please: :happy-clapping: :D

Do you want photographic and video documentation to go with that? lol

Ben Casey
14-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Do you want photographic and video documentation to go with that? lol

Both please LOL

Tony1948
14-04-2012, 07:34 PM
How do you camp most of the time?WEELL most of the time I have one hand on my hip and the other hand in the air with a limp wrist, high heels and a off the shoulder number, oooooooooow nice,you are allfull but I like you.:happy-clapping:LoL.

alvino78
14-04-2012, 08:33 PM
How do you camp most of the time?WEELL most of the time I have one hand on my hip and the other hand in the air with a limp wrist, high heels and a off the shoulder number, oooooooooow nice,you are allfull but I like you.:happy-clapping:LoL.

lol you dont by any chance call out "I'M FREEE!!!" rotfl:)

Kernowek Scouser
14-04-2012, 10:47 PM
The polish sleep mat does look like a comfy roll up mattress, but I bet it is going to be a(nother) bugger to carry. No matter I have... A PLAN!

Did anyone see Ivan's bed at the RV, that looked well comfyT^

:off-topic:From the misadventures of my youth, I recall that it is possible to be affectionate in a hammock, but in the interests of comfort, you may wish to gift your good lady a pair of leather chaps.:off-topic: