PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Nottingham.

trickymicky
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Hello my name is Mick. I live on the borders of Nottingham, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. My interest in Bushcraft and country matters has only very recently been rekindled due to becoming the proud owner of a Border Collie (Buddy) last year. Excercising a Border collie isn't easy but it took me out into the countryside a lot and started to make me apreciate my surroundings again. As a child/youth I was in the scouts and then the army cadets. This gave me some basic knowlage of outdoors survival. This is mostly now all forgotten. I'm nearly 50 now so it was a long time ago.
One thing I have been wondering is where can or where am I allowed to practice bushcraft considering most of the country is owned by someone? This is something I need to ask on a differant part of the forum.
I would like to say what a most excellent and interesting web site you have. There isn't another web site as comprehensive as yours.

Bernie
08-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the Natural Bushcraft community and forum Micky.

Finding consenting land owners is a bit like panning for gold. We all do a little of it, and when there's news that someone does allow it, people flock to the meetings to get their fix. Others on here are out and about more than me and more sociable as well so they are more likely to meet farmers and land owners and be able to either get them on board with the Bushcrafting philosophy, or barter their way into use of the owner's land.

I either meet up with others from this group, or I'm restricted to my back garden for fires. Walking and foraging I can do on the common, but I can't cut things down or make fires there.

I think your first call might be either to look for a Bushcraft school nearby (who will have access and might allow you to join them) or find other members or like minded folk in your area. But I bow to superior knowledge and experience of others who will hopefully chip in here as well.

Either way, good luck and welcome again to the community here.

Silverback
08-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Hellooooo and welcome from Yorkshire Mick - few similarities between us here. Cadets, Scouting, and Border Collies, similar ages too, younger than you though. As for where to go thats a different question.

Legally you have to have permission but there are more than a few 'stealth' campers on here, not that I'm advocating any illegality ;-).

Its also worth looking into recent changes in National Trusts approach to wild camping.....

Matt
08-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey Mick,

a warm :welcome: to NaturalBushcraft, enjoy :).

Regards,

Matt

Tony1948
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
:welcome:Mick to the forum,Cor nearly 50 thats old you must be going throw a mid life crysiss:happy-clapping:I wish I was that age again:confused2:That ant old enjoy it with you'r dog Atb DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS............TONYT^

nat110732
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi Mick
I'm from Notts/Derbys border too but just a bit up M1 at J27.
You'll find a very helpful, friendly and enthusiastic bunch on here.
Nat

Martin
09-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Hello Mick, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. I'm afraid that all of the country is owned by someone. You can camp and have a fire in large areas of Scotland, there are various campsites that will allow you to have a fire and there are large areas of woodland that you can just roam around which, as long as you clear up after yourself, you won't get any bother from anyone.

Martin

andy202wr
23-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Mick. Just up the M1 J 30/31, the knowledge you can get from this forum is huge. If you have a question ask if it isnt on then start a thread and some one will have an idea or know some one that may have an answer or you.

jus_young
23-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi Mick and welcome to NBC. Nothing quite like an over energetic collie to get you out and about. Had some nice times with mine in the last few years, they become good friends but now sadly missed.

mazmann
31-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the best site ever.

Mike

shiftypowers76
05-06-2012, 11:05 AM
im also on the borders i did have a place but its been destroyed by kids.the farmer gave me access after i cleaned the area up after kids left a right mess after partying.the area was not used for ages and my personnel spot was about 3-400 metres away but they still found it.so im looking also for a new area if i find one ill let you know here on your page and maybe meet up and share ideas and past experience.im 35 been in the aircadets and also the scouts my brother is also into bushcrafting but cant get out at the moment because his partner has given birth.i also like to stealth camp with my hammock and tarp and do my cooking on my trangia so theres no fires and you cant be seen.

nat110732
05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
im also on the borders i did have a place but its been destroyed by kids.the farmer gave me access after i cleaned the area up after kids left a right mess after partying.the area was not used for ages and my personnel spot was about 3-400 metres away but they still found it.so im looking also for a new area if i find one ill let you know here on your page and maybe meet up and share ideas and past experience.im 35 been in the aircadets and also the scouts my brother is also into bushcrafting but cant get out at the moment because his partner has given birth.i also like to stealth camp with my hammock and tarp and do my cooking on my trangia so theres no fires and you cant be seen.
Hi shifty,
I'm just off J27 mate, not too far away.
I'm also looking for new pastures in the midlands and peak district so will let you know if owt turns up
Nat:)

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

biker-bri
05-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi Mick, A very warm welcome from a cold & wet Wales

shiftypowers76
05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
hi nat
that would be great thank you.i dont get out much now my brother has a baby now so hes tied up.im thinking of making a youtube channel up loading a few videos on my set up what kit i have and trips in the bush and hiking trips.
cheers
shifty

Silverback
05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Eyup Shifty and welcome. I get out with Nat every now and then and I have a spot near Clipstone almost ready to use (well when the gamekeeper says we can do a trial run)

Ben Casey
05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi There from me to I think I nearly missed this one :)

Adam Savage
05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi Mick, welcome to the forum, Hope you find the place enjoyable T^

Adam

Roadkillphil
19-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi Mick :welcome:

Old Guard
19-06-2012, 11:12 PM
welcome :welcome: