PDA

View Full Version : Long Walk Home

Reaps72
04-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I am placing this post as I am in the process of organising a Trek or Long Distance Walk from Huddersfield West Yorks to Welshpool Mid Wales the birth place of my wife's Dad, 155 miles approx, to raise money for Kirkwood Hospice over easter next year 2012.

I am in no way asking for sponsors !

What I am after is some advice, I am a reasonably experienced outdoor pursuits bod, but I have never :

1} Undertaken a LDW, so training tips etc please?
2} Organised a grand fundraiser, so money raising tips please?
3a} Organised an expedition, so tips etc please?
3b} Planned a route of this distance, I have posted an initial rough route on OS getamap same title as thread, so if locals who know certain areas well could look at the route & offer suggestions, campsites or good wild camp possibles & improvements please? I intend to walk sections over the winter to scout things out personally.
4} Led a team, I walk etc with mates regular & as a former scout tend to be the map reader, but there is a possibility that we could take other participants, so tips & reminders?
5} Anything you think could be useful?

Cheers all

Mike &

Colliewobble
04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
My first post on here, just wanted to take my hat off to you!
I'd be thinking about wether you wanted to try and stay off the tarmac and stick to bridleways/footpaths and so on, also low level or bits of high ground as well, which (to me, anyway!) would make the route more interesting.
Training? Well, long days out in the hills, including some decent uphill walking, should do the trick. Work up to carrying a pack of at least the weight you expect to be using on the actual walk.
Think about where you're spending the nights, camping, B&B, or whatever.
Alternative routes over high ground in case the weather turns hostile.
...Happy planning!!!

Martin
04-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I guess a couple of tips would be, don't be too ambitious over the amount of ground you'll cover each day and train long and hard. The only real way is to get miles into your legs and walk for prolonged periods over challenging terrain.

Comanightrain just did the West Highland Way so you should check out his blog which will give you plenty of pointers too.

I can recommend 'Hillwalking, the official handbook of the Mountain Leader and Walking Group Leader schemes' (ISBN 978-0-9541511-0-2)as an excellent reference source.

Good luck with the planning and the walk, keep us posted with all your progress.

Martin

Silverback
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Mike

Happy to help in any and all ways possible. As you know I have access to a large network of outdoor pursuitists as well as fundraisers and PR people.. so I'll get weaving shall i ?

Wayne

Oh and Black Hill regularly with a heavy pack makes for a good fitness regime ;-)

Reaps72
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Mike

Happy to help in any and all ways possible. As you know I have access to a large network of outdoor pursuitists as well as fundraisers and PR people.. so I'll get weaving shall i ?

Wayne

Oh and Black Hill regularly with a heavy pack makes for a good fitness regime ;-)

All assistance is greatly received! Cheers Wayne!
I am just in the process of doing a project for work which will take the next couple of weeks but I'll pm you or you me if anything comes up. The first stage on the build up to Xmas is to get some business sponsors & support, according to my liaison at Kirkwood, I have some draft letters done, & then try to come up with some subsidiary fundraisers????? & of course participants if others wish to join me but I originally started this solo, but the more the merrier I think, just a few more camping issues with a group!

I have around 5-8 mates doing some or all, so I figured any walkers can & will get sponsor sheets, but I really think done right this could become a grand event raising some large sums for the hospice, from multiple sources, just need ideas, vision & pr.

My 8 year old daughter has said she'll do a sponsored silence at school for a week, & trust me 10 mins is a challenge for her!
As you are aware I have just had some discs removed from the base of my spine, so training will begin in earnest around the end of October. Original plan is about a 2 hour bimble wi dogs after work in the week & at least 1 good stretch on the weekends thinking starting about 3-4 hours building to 8 as my fitness comes back.

The wife's not too imp-rest with the amount of time it'll take up so some leeway needs to be factored for the kids!

Cheers for the offer

Ps Wayne & to all readers the route is at: http://www.getamap.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/
Just Register for FREE then locate, Long Walk Home, to view the rough route!

Reaps72
05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Just bumping back for help guys!

Silverback
05-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Im working on it ! but a bit busy these next 4 weeks or so. Still had time for a thrash up Black Hill today though.

Cant check your route as the software wont install on my PC

cuppa joe
05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
http://www.goxplore.net/showthread.php?t=4386&highlight=coast+to+coast

Reaps72
05-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Im working on it ! but a bit busy these next 4 weeks or so. Still had time for a thrash up Black Hill today though.

Cant check your route as the software wont install on my PC

I hope you don't think bump was for you! it was a general keep it up! kind of thing!

Sorry & thanks for the offer of help matey!

Reaps72
05-10-2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.goxplore.net/showthread.php?t=4386&highlight=coast+to+coast
Cheers Joe

That looks a useful web site what are the users like?
I have been mooching about on outdoorsmagic but the users aren't as forthcoming as the great guys & gals on here!

Silverback
05-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Cheers Joe

That looks a useful web site what are the users like?
I have been mooching about on outdoorsmagic but the users aren't as forthcoming as the great guys & gals on here!

I used to be on there. Left and deleted my profile. Couldnt get into their mindset.

PM your route details to me and I'll plot it on MRmap

Reaps72
05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I used to be on there. Left and deleted my profile. Couldnt get into their mindset.

PM your route details to me and I'll plot it on MRmap

It's on Ordnance Survey Getamap to view link was in another of our posts (its free to register & play just printing etc costs) or do you want a waypoint by waypoint list which if easier can bet sorted & yes I'll send one?

I know what your saying about mindsets they appear to be a right anally retentive bunch!

Silverback
05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
It's on Ordnance Survey Getamap to view link was in another of our posts (its free to register & play just printing etc costs) or do you want a waypoint by waypoint list which if easier can bet sorted & yes I'll send one?

I know what your saying about mindsets they appear to be a right anally retentive bunch!

its asking me to download windows silverlight which wont work on my PC. send it as a GPX file and I'll do the rest.

Reaps72
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
its asking me to download windows silverlight which wont work on my PC. send it as a GPX file and I'll do the rest.

I have tried & failed it will allow me to add GPX files to the map but not to remove the route as one! Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I had even tried a letter a while ago to get the maps off of them or free access to produce the route & they said no! Errrrrrrrrrrrr

Could I write out a list of the GPS points? it'll be a ball ache but ? My original plan was the old fashioned get map draw route! just thought the OS thing allowed others to pitch in their two penneth!

Silverback
06-10-2011, 08:39 AM
write out the OS Grids then and I'll plot them into software and see what pops up

Reaps72
11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Bumping back to What's New!

Any more advice guys!

Silverback
11-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Still need those grids to look at your route. No movement on funding/donations - I have lots of press contacts though will check them out for you soonest

Adam Savage
11-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Tried finding the route on the link you posted, but no luck

Is this the same route?

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=D41B605F-9A7E-FC8F-AFF63A563C33C251

comanighttrain
12-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the mention in dispatches Martin! :D

What I am after is some advice, I am a reasonably experienced outdoor pursuits bod, but I have never :

1} Undertaken a LDW, so training tips etc please?
2} Organised a grand fundraiser, so money raising tips please?
3a} Organised an expedition, so tips etc please?
3b} Planned a route of this distance, I have posted an initial rough route on OS getamap same title as thread, so if locals who know certain areas well could look at the route & offer suggestions, campsites or good wild camp possibles & improvements please? I intend to walk sections over the winter to scout things out personally.
4} Led a team, I walk etc with mates regular & as a former scout tend to be the map reader, but there is a possibility that we could take other participants, so tips & reminders?
5} Anything you think could be useful?

Training - Long walks with gear heavier than what your going to be carrying on the walk. This helps you develop the endurance required and also gets you used to the sore numbness your feet will get on such a persuit. I'd also recommend improving your overall strength - it just makes things feel easier...

Kit - Don't bother with a quick dry towel if you are sleeping outside. It'll probably never dry.

Travel light as possible! If you can drop in and buy food on the way or stop at food places your feet with thank you.

Have both a rucksack cover and dry bags.

Take a brew kit - a brew in the morning feels like resurrection.

Personally recommend taking a minimal emergency dry ration pack incase you get lost or stuck.

I can offer no advice on the route im afraid... Never been down that way!

Martin
12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Re: Outdoorsmagic Forum..

Why don't you ask them which GPS you should buy for your trip. That will really send them into a spin!! :D :D :D

Martin

comanighttrain
12-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Why don't you ask them which GPS you should buy for your trip. That will really send them into a spin!! :D :D :D

Martin

I don't understand how people develop such strong feelings about things... it's like take a gps...dont take a gps...i don't care...i use a map myself but that's just me.

Good that we are mostly chilled out types here...

Silverback
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM

Martin

Meeeeeeeoooowwwwwwwwwwww :happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

Silverback
12-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't understand how people develop such strong feelings about things... it's like take a gps...dont take a gps...i don't care...i use a map myself but that's just me.

Good that we are mostly chilled out types here...

Take a GPS and no map, but dont be suprised if you get some 'constructive criticism' if you need to get rescued.;);)
Always have a map and compass and know how to use one. The latest fad is using mobile phone mapping to go off the beaten track.....asking for trouble !!

comanighttrain
12-10-2011, 10:46 AM
lol, phone battery dies and now they have no navigation and no way to call for help...that's a real bad idea!

Reaps72
12-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Still need those grids to look at your route. No movement on funding/donations - I have lots of press contacts though will check them out for you soonest

Yeh I know will get on it tomorrow

Cheers matey

Reaps72
12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Tried finding the route on the link you posted, but no luck

Is this the same route?

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=D41B605F-9A7E-FC8F-AFF63A563C33C251

All I can say is I dunno seems to be an issue !

If you are registered & signed in click on open file on map menu & search for Long Walk Home you need microsoft silverlight to see it!

Sorry I am sending some details to sapper he thinks he can do something with!

Adam Savage
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Ok mate. I am registered, but every time I open file, it doesn't let me search, only my own routes... weird.

Reaps72
12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Ok mate. I am registered, but every time I open file, it doesn't let me search, only my own routes... weird.

I really like it as a site but I have had real problem with this, it is a firm advocation for map, pen & compass !

At least I got to check how far & long it will take! I think it is ok for that, as a tool to for collective use.............SH TE!

Reaps72
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I seem to be having issues with OS Getamap & folks publicly viewing the route! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Any how if you are interested & want to look at the route to offer advice on possible stop overs etc, the just pm me your real email & I can send it to you!

Thanks