PDA

View Full Version : ka bar how good arethey

markal17
03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
im thinking of geting this knife http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/ka-bar-johnson-adventure-potbelly-knife-3065-p.asp but would like to make shore its
good for the money need it to batton and chop wood
thanks for any help

bikebum1975
03-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Don't know much bout that model only one I'm familiar with is the old Marine Corps knife never had one but know they have a long history of making knives.

JEEP
04-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Ka-Bar knives are generally good quality knives, but imho. too expensive. The quality has been somewhat declining, from "outstanding" to "fair" since the 1960's - while the prices has gone up and up.

Aside from that; if you want to go Ka-Bar, get a USMC/NAVY style Ka-Bar - but don't buy the Ka-Bar branded ones :)

If you want a good Ka-Bar style knife, get a 1960's USMC issued one from http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/ (code; KNF219 or KNF227), they are only £ 39.99 - and they are probably one of the best "survival knife" bargains out there.

Another posability is the W.R. Case USMC knife. This differs slightly from a regular Ka-Bar (it is more like the Camillus version actually), Case never got a contract for delivering knives for the armed forces, but that hasn't stopped them from making a reproduction of the prototype they sent in for consideration. Ironically this is now the best Ka-Bar type knife in production. I have one - and I am quite happpy with it.
A lot of people here may frown on the Ka-Bar. But - and this comes from a dedicated puukko/leuku guy - the deisgn is really ourstanding for an all-purpose "survival type" knife. Though, you will need to carry a smaller knife for finer work aswell.

Cosider this though; Ka-Bar style knives are considered "fighting style knives" - you are somewhat more likely to attract the wrong kind of attention (the law, griefers, etc.) by carrying one of these, than if you were carrying a more traditional knife, like a woodlore clone or a Scandinavian puukko. That is, unless you are wearing your Natural Bushcraft beret ofcourse :p

Proventurer
04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
It 'll be a lot of frosty Fridays before you or anybody else breaks that Ka-Bar "potbelly" apart from the need to baton, you should be able to knock over a whole forest with that chunk of metal, sometimes, a little bit of what you fancy does you good!

jbrown14
04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Another knife of the same design as the classic larger Kabar, but a little smaller is the USAF Survival Knife. Like Jakob says, the older models made by Camillus are the best quality knives.

I own two of the USAF Survival knives, one in the black phosphate coating, and one more presentation style with a mirror finish. I have split very gnarly pieces with the black knife, but the one bad thing about using a baton with this knife is the upswept false edge at the tip. You'll chop the baton in half sooner or later.

The great thing about the Camillus knives too is the lifetime warranty. I think the leather in the handle was drying up a little when I was young and ignorant, so the pommel would wiggle a little. Living only about 15 minutes from the main Camillus facility in Camillus, New York, I just walked into the main lobby (more like a small town Doctor's waiting room) and explained the problem to the nice older lady who was working behind a little window. She took my information, my knife, and within a day or two I had a call-back saying that my knife was ready, no charge. Too bad the facility has shut down and moved all of those jobs away due to [insert anti-tax/government greed/waste rant here...] they were an icon here for generations.

markal17
04-10-2011, 12:04 PM
ok thanks guys still not shore may have to look around lol

ktomes_340
04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I am not familiar with the Johnson series, but Ka Bar overall makes an excellent knife. I have heard a lot of praise about the JAB folders, so I am assuming the fixed blades are awesome also. The Bacon Maker is an excellent chopping tool.