PDA

View Full Version : Popcan stove.

bushcraftboy
30-09-2011, 04:28 PM
What is the fuel called, I mean could I get it from tesco? What will it be called?

LandRoverMatt
30-09-2011, 04:39 PM
methylated spirits mate

bushcraftboy
30-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Will they have it in tesco's?

jus_young
30-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Will they have it in tesco's?

Quite possibly. Its usually with the DIY stuff but expect to pay a bit more for it. You may be better going to a DIY store.

Martin
30-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Just out of interest Bushcraftboy, are you under 18 by any chance??

Martin

jus_young
30-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Martin

Just thinking of that after seeing a pic in another post :D

bushcraftboy
30-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Martin

Yes I am, as you could probably tell by the picture, is it against the rules? Do I have to leave? or something like that?

LandRoverMatt
30-09-2011, 06:31 PM
well my mother brought it for me as im under 18 but i would not think they would sell it in tesco

bushcraftboy
30-09-2011, 06:39 PM
well my mother brought it for me as im under 18 but i would not think they would sell it in tesco

If I can't find it in tescos I'll get it from internet or B&Q.

Martin
30-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes I am, as you could probably tell by the picture, is it against the rules? Do I have to leave? or something like that?

You can leave if you like. On the other hand, it helps in some of the advice given if we know you are a younger type bushcrafter.

Martin

Silverback
30-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Sorry to disappoint BCB but you wont be able to buy meths unless over 21 - well at B & Q anyways.

bushcraftboy
30-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry to disappoint BCB but you wont be able to buy meths unless over 21 - well at B & Q anyways.

My mother will get it for me.

Silverback
30-09-2011, 07:34 PM
My mother will get it for me.

Thats the law as it stands at the moment though - shame they had to be introduced because of idiots. We know not all under 18s are knife wielding, gun toting, trainer stealing maniacs but they are the ones that ruined it for the rest of the younger population

RuralSurvival
30-09-2011, 08:44 PM
They sell it in ASDA!
Trago is a good price for it! :D

DIY stores are best!

(have you made a pop can stove?)

bigzee
30-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Talking of age-related sales, my wife went to a nearby village to pick up our 17 yo son from the railway station today. Calling in at the local queue-uparative shop for fags, she thought it would be nice to buy me some beer whilst there. The operative however asked whether our son had any ID, as she believed the beer was being bought for him. He had no ID, so - no beer sale! Wife was so outraged that she ditched all items and stated in a loud clear voice that they had lost a valued customer - as she was not prepared to be refused fag sales in the future if she was with our 9 yo daughter.

I did explain to her the way the law comes down hard and removes licences and causes job losses with retailers, if they make errors of judgement. However - I still have no beer!!!.. sniff ...sniff...

jus_young
30-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Reminds me of the time I was asked for ID to by baccy...

I was 26 at the time! Took it as a compliment though.

bushcraftboy
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
How much do I use in a pop can, and how long does it last?

jus_young
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
How much do I use in a pop can, and how long does it last?

Trial and error is best. Start with a little, see what it does and time it whilst trying to boil some water. Make sure its done outside and watch this stuff as any spills will ignite and spread and you will not be able to put it out easily!!!

bushcraftboy
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Trial and error is best. Start with a little, see what it does and time it whilst trying to boil some water. Make sure its done outside and watch this stuff as any spills will ignite and spread and you will not be able to put it out easily!!!

My mother went to tescos and she bought turps/white spirit instead, this is useless for stoves? It's more or less naphtha, maybe I can use it in my zippo.

Any uses for this, it cost £3, I'm not wasting it.

Martin
02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
My mother went to tescos and she bought turps/white spirit instead, this is useless for stoves? It's more or less naphtha, maybe I can use it in my zippo.

Any uses for this, it cost £3, I'm not wasting it.

It's great for washing your brushes after you've painted the window frames or skirting boards. :)

Martin

Metal mug
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Talking of age-related sales, my wife went to a nearby village to pick up our 17 yo son from the railway station today. Calling in at the local queue-uparative shop for fags, she thought it would be nice to buy me some beer whilst there. The operative however asked whether our son had any ID, as she believed the beer was being bought for him. He had no ID, so - no beer sale! Wife was so outraged that she ditched all items and stated in a loud clear voice that they had lost a valued customer - as she was not prepared to be refused fag sales in the future if she was with our 9 yo daughter.

I did explain to her the way the law comes down hard and removes licences and causes job losses with retailers, if they make errors of judgement. However - I still have no beer!!!.. sniff ...sniff...I had a friend who went into a shop and bought a knife sharpening whetstone and some flints for his zippo lighter. They wouldn't let him purchase the flints because he had no ID but they were happy to sell him the whetstone. :D

bushcraftboy
02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
It's great for washing your brushes after you've painted the window frames or skirting boards. :)

Martin

Besides that, maybe I can somehow use it in a stove, as it's stays alight for ages, and is very hard to put out.