PDA

View Full Version : Made My First Fire Pistion But Got Problem Need Some Help PLS

clapton33uk
30-09-2011, 10:27 AM

I made this yesterday,but l have got a problem with it.I need to put a relief valve in it,anyone got any ideas?

Martin
30-09-2011, 12:33 PM
When you say a relief valve, what exactly do you mean? Is it to allow air to escape when you plunge the piston or to allow air to escape when you try to withdraw it?

Martin

clapton33uk
30-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi mate to allow the piston to seat close when carrying it.I tried to tapped it with M6 and screw a bolt in the bottom,with a seal but it never worked I was thinking of trying to put a bike valve in the bottom. Hope this makes sense. Paul

Martin
30-09-2011, 01:07 PM
The thing is Paul, the fire piston works on the build up of air pressure in the cylinder. If you vent this, so that it will close, you run the risk of losing compression when you need to use it.

Martin

still water
17-10-2011, 11:06 AM
hi there you dont want your fire pistion to close fully as this will damage the end of the rod. insted try to make a pocket to keep it in that allows it to stay as it is open.

Jack Russell
23-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi Clapton - looks from the piccies that you've used aluminium for the piston rod and chamber, not the easiest for fitting an air release (used to retain the piston by vacuum when the fire piston is not in use). For this "second generation" design I use brass tube for the chamber then it's a fairly easy manufacturing step to solder a BA (or metric) nut on the bottom of the chamber which is modified to seat an o-ring. Then create a relief valve by fitting an o-ring on a BA brass screw in the same way as you fitted one on the piston rod. Hope you get the idea without pictures!! Cheers, Jack

clapton33uk
23-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi Jack I no exactly what you mean thanks alot, its bean doing my head in.lol It was like my mind had gone blank. cheers again

Paul