PDA

View Full Version : How to make a blade!

Reaps72
29-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I have been researching how to make blades & I have put together a document that takes the best of what I read in to a clear (ish) how to! I have missed that the material used is old saw blades or steel type 1095.

First time I've done an article I hope this works & is ok for everyone!

CanadianMike
30-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Cool, will check it out!

Reaps72
30-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Cool, will check it out!

Hey Mike

as we share the same name & your first to read it will you let me know what you think please?

Cheers
Mike

Tony1948
30-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Good post Mike for us budding blade smiths:D As you probably seen I'v bought in my last 2or3 blades(2moras & a Laplander) because of the heating in my forge I'v burnt about 3 good blades:ashamed:Thanks for the infow mike Atb and remember........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS.............TONY.T^

CanadianMike
30-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I like it, lots of good info there. Recently, over the past dozen blades I've heat treated, I've been focusing more on using a magnet (hadn't previously) and the colour I get it non-magnetic is a dull orange (like popsicle colour), at red it still sticks a bit. But that's a minor thing. Great job, I expect you will add more? I actually saved it on my laptop so I can reference the colour chart. Lol

Mouldsy
30-09-2011, 03:41 PM
My mate, Phil(luresalive) made one from an old industrial hacksaw blade, it turned out very well and has held a cracking edge for ages and he has used it a lot.

Reaps72
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the positives there gents,

Yeh my idea too is to use old hacksaw blades to make my spoon knife, minimal cost to allow for cock ups !
Not sure I'd try heating an already functional knife! I'm too much of a miser, but may be with an old knackered one???

I was thinking of botching together a fan type blow pipe system, instead of bellows, using my air bed pump, a steel or copper pipe & some hosepipe!
What's the thoughts of anyone who has actually made a furnace come firepit? As my previous metal workings were with my blow-torch!

Realearner
01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Look on YouTube the amount of info on forges is great, lots of people use hair dryers, but a fan from a car blower is 12volts dc and can be varied with the same lever switch as used in the car, and a car battery will last along time.
As for your thread, brilliant info thanks for that.

clapton33uk
01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Reaps,
I made this one in january this year out of a brake drum, really easy.

Hope this is some help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaRJEYWViUs