PDA

View Full Version : Carving?

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I've never tried carving before, and the only Knife I have is a razor sharp 840MG, what can you guys suggest I try to carve/whittle first, and what wood to use?

Tony1948
28-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi BCb,cut your self a bit of siver Birch about 11/2-2inch round,split it down the middle and try to carve a spoon with the knife you have.For you'r first one dont try to cut out the bowl,just get the shape rightT^

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi BCb,cut your self a bit of siver Birch about 11/2-2inch round,split it down the middle and try to carve a spoon with the knife you have.For you'r first one dont try to cut out the bowl,just get the shape rightT^

How do even get the bowl with a regular clipper?

Also are there any guides because I'll just butcher the wood.

RobbC
28-09-2011, 03:59 PM
How do even get the bowl with a regular clipper?

You will need to buy a spoon/crook knife for making spoons, bowls and such like. Mora make very good and cheap ones:
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/woodcarving-knives/frosts-164-single-edge-crook-spoon-knife.htm

Hope this helps, Robb

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 04:04 PM

RobbC
28-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Just thought id add some simple tips: Dont rush it, and think about the cuts your going to make; Have a good idea about how you want it to look and if/when you do get a spoon knife - this is a tip i got fom Ashley - go against the grain.

Again hope this helps:), Robb

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Just thought id add some simple tips: Dont rush it, and think about the cuts your going to make; Have a good idea about how you want it to look and if/when you do get a spoon knife - this is a tip i got fom Ashley - go against the grain.

Again hope this helps:), Robb

Hmm against the grain, so like the grain is like this ______________ and cut it on the side like this '
'

RobbC
28-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Yep thats it, it may have been better if id said across the grain :D. Oh and if your goin to cut a curve its easier to use the end of the blade where its thinner :).

Robb

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Is there anything useful I can crave without a spoon knife?

Ashley Cawley
28-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I've never tried carving before, and the only Knife I have is a razor sharp 840MG, what can you guys suggest I try to carve/whittle first, and what wood to use?That's a very good question! I would say use some Hazel and have a go at carving yourself some nice Tent pegs, luckily we've made a few nice videos to show you how! :)

First I'd recommend watching this...

Using a Knife - Cutting Techniques & Safety - PART 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ApQpthjsxE

Then this...

Using a Knife - Cutting Techniques & Safety - PART 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc-MWpQDOKg

Then this...

How to Make a Tent Peg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTA4ytCkQ5s

JonnyP
28-09-2011, 05:53 PM
To make a spoon..
Cut yourself a fresh branch of something like alder, sycamore, birch or willow. Dont worry about using wood with bends and stuff, just use a straight bit to start with and cut it to a little longer than you want your spoon.
As mentioned, split the wood in half, using your knife and a batton. Take the bit that has less of the middle of the wood in (splits can start from the middle).
Tidy up the face of the wood you just split and then draw with a pencil the shape of the spoon you want, looking from above. Just do a simple shaped spoon to start with.
Now cut the wood out down to your pencil mark, going careful not to cut too deep. Do not worry about shaping the sides of the spoon at this point, just get it down to the line..
Now draw the side of your spoon on the wood, and cut to the line again.
You should now have a square shaped spoon, so now you just need to round it and shape it better.
Go slowly and do not rush.
Always try to think of where the knife will go if it slipped off the work. Ie do not cut towards yourself, unless its a controlled cut.
Try to work out the best way to hold the spoon in all the different positions you will need to hold it to carve the spoon.
Ideally you will need a spoon knife to carve the bowl, but you can burn it out using a straw and an ember.
Good luck and have fun.

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I can't thank you guys enough. :)

LandRoverMatt
28-09-2011, 06:30 PM
wish i made how to carve a spoon video would help so many of my mates will get on it some day