PDA

View Full Version : campsites that allow hammocks?

boiledbeef
25-09-2011, 08:57 PM
sorry if this has been done before,
i notice links to campsites that allow fires, but what about ones that allow hammocks,
they seem to be few and far between? at least in my neck of the woods anyway,

regards
beefy

fish
25-09-2011, 09:57 PM
i would imagine theyed be happy with it if theres suitable area.

Martin
26-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I guess the problem is that trees and camping tend not to go together too well. Most camp sites are large flat fields as that way they can get more, bigger tents in one place.

I would think that you'd need to pick your site well and ask the owners if they are happy for you to hang out there. :)

Martin

JonnyP
26-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Get yourself a tall enough vehicle with a roof rack and just park 4 to 5 meters away from a tree around the edge of any camp site and just rig up..
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/CornwallRV2008014.jpg

JonnyP
26-09-2011, 12:24 PM
cor, I don't half miss that old landy..

Adam Savage
26-09-2011, 01:00 PM
cor, I don't half miss that old landy..

Surely you couldn't possibly miss it, being that colour :)

garethw
26-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Get yourself a tall enough vehicle with a roof rack and just park 4 to 5 meters away from a tree around the edge of any camp site and just rig up..
Yep I do this all the time....works fine : http://www.gwenllyn.com/hammock-and-car.jpg

Only down side is that the car suspension flexes which makes it very hard to get a taught ridge line... bit like a tree that's too supple.
cheers
Gareth

boiledbeef
26-09-2011, 02:52 PM
thats the other problem, i dont drive anymore...:confused2:

JonnyP
26-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Lol.. It failed its MOT on a badly rusted chassis and I could not afford to get it done, so I had to sell it.. :0(

Adam Savage
26-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Lol.. It failed its MOT on a badly rusted chassis and I could not afford to get it done, so I had to sell it.. :0(

One of the only problem areas on a landy, everything else is easy enough to patch up.

Wrighty28
26-09-2011, 08:32 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/CornwallRV2008014.jpg

possibly the greatest hammocking accessory known to man?!! love the colour too!!! lol

either that or go off the campsite path and try stealth camping :) im trying that myself for the first time this weekend. found a fantastic spot looking into a valley facing east. perfect for sunrise over a small town with huge hills around it.

... obviously i know natural bushcraft does NOT condone 'stealth camping' under any circumstances :)

Martin
26-09-2011, 08:36 PM
... obviously i know natural bushcraft does NOT condone 'stealth camping' under any circumstances :)

Really? It doesn't??

Martin

Wrighty28
27-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Really? It doesn't??

Martin

hint of sarcasm or am i missing something?

Martin
27-09-2011, 01:08 PM
hint of sarcasm or am i missing something?

Seriously, as long as posts are neither illegal or offensive then we are not here to stifle free speech. Camping isn't illegal, trespass is a civil matter although it can easily escalate to something far more serious like aggravated trespass or burglary (which doesn't only relate to theft).

Be sensible and there shouldn't be any reason not to discuss your camping trips no matter how stealthy they are. :)

Martin

jus_young
27-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Just remember that if you are stealth camping, stay wise and leave the locations out from your posts. If no-one knows where you have been how can they object? :)

Wrighty28
27-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Seriously, as long as posts are neither illegal or offensive then we are not here to stifle free speech. Camping isn't illegal, trespass is a civil matter although it can easily escalate to something far more serious like aggravated trespass or burglary (which doesn't only relate to theft).

Be sensible and there shouldn't be any reason not to discuss your camping trips no matter how stealthy they are. :)

Martin

Fair one I suppose!

Just remember that if you are stealth camping, stay wise and leave the locations out from your posts. If no-one knows where you have been how can they object? :)

Believe me I won't be! This spot is to perfect, don't want it pouched!

Theenglishcamper
29-02-2012, 08:58 PM
When i climeb snowdon lastyear i went to lay qwen campsite it allows hammock and Fires! but you have to buy wood :(

Adam Savage
29-02-2012, 10:31 PM
When i climeb snowdon lastyear i went to lay qwen campsite it allows hammock and Fires! but you have to buy wood :(

Buying wood is a small price to pay really though :)