PDA

View Full Version : Views from Rivington at night.

MikeWilkinson
25-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Thought I'd share some night views from my dog walk this evening.

Blackpool tower - 50+ miles away

View over Chesire plain

View over West Lancashire

The photo of the tower illuminated by the sky glow, just goes to show how bad light pollution can be. I'm in the middle of the west pennine moors here on Rivington moor, but around me I have Manchester, Bolton, Wigan, Preston, Burnley and Blackburn all contributing to the light pollution. I can pretty much walk without a torch most nights.

Martin
27-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Nice pics Mike and a great demonstration of how light pollution can spoil a naturally beautiful area. The night sky there looks like a weird sort of daylight.

Thanks for sharing

Martin

Raikey
27-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Mike,....

i,m sorry for you that Blackpool spoils even your nightime strolls,..

ha,....very good pictures tho,..

great white ape
20-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Almost looks Martian

Kiltie
20-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Phone camera pics ?, or a simple digi set to normal ? , not bad pics-not great either :p

JonnyP
20-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Crikey.. That look surreal..

Ashley Cawley
21-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah I'd be interested to know what type of camera you used and what settings etc. Interesting pics... they have certain type of beauty to them but they also remind me how much of a scar us humans are upon the landscape and how wasteful with energy.

MikeWilkinson
21-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Just a cheap point and shoot, fuji I think, not my normal point and shoot, a borrowed one. Manual settings, Exposure set to 3 secs.

FrenchBen
22-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Nice pictures yes, maybe the 3-sec exposure explains the intense color of the sky.
Was it exactly like that when you saw it?
It may have been though cause on cloudy nights here the lights of simple (yet industrial) greenhouses paint the sky orange. What's amazing is that it's quite strictly located above the greenhouses. You nearly can see where it ends and the sky turns to "blue" again.

MikeWilkinson
24-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi Ben,
I used quite a few different exposures and the three second exposure gave the closest to what I could actually see. there are some other photos I took on here where there is no cloud reflection and the sky is somewhat darker, but the sky glow from the low pressure sodium lighting is quite apparant (I work in external lighting for Philips so I am pretty aware of the effects).

FrenchBen
25-02-2011, 08:01 AM
(I work in external lighting for Philips so I am pretty aware of the effects).

Yay, I can see on your avatar what external lighting you're talking about :D (I want your job!)

PS : sorry for the useless post...

MikeWilkinson
25-02-2011, 09:09 AM
;) I wish that was my job :camping:

IBrown
27-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Great Pictures..

Light polution from the cities and towns are anoying when you try to capture the night sky. The first time i went to the Brecon Beacons I couldn't believe the difference in the ammount of stars i could see compared to when i am at home.

beechnut mick
05-03-2011, 06:07 AM
very nice,must visit one day