PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing back pack

Realearner
23-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi all, just brought a mini alice pack from evilbay, cant complain only £20.00 delivered :happy-clapping:and 25 to 30ltr.
Anyway stop rambling, the pack is canvas which I wanted, however what are opinions regarding waterproofing:confused: as the Duluth packs are similar and I don't think they are proofed. The thoughts behind this is that any wet or damp items get chance to dry out in the pack as it can breath?
Or just use water tight bags inside?

Martin
23-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd go for dry bags inside. You'll never fully 'waterproof' a rucksack so you'll have to put the stuff in dry bags anyway.

Martin

mr.happy
14-12-2011, 01:38 AM
You could always wax it. I know a few companies sell it and some jackets come that way from the factory.

JEEP
14-12-2011, 06:56 AM
http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?cat=17&productid=41

I have used this with succes before.

luresalive
14-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Waxing a bag will certainly make it shower proof but you'll never fully waterproof it,I own a few Barbour coats and they stand up well in the rain but if its heavy they will eventually get wet inside..dry bags inside are probably the best bet

garethw
14-12-2011, 08:08 AM
I doubt there are any truly waterproof packs out there...

As suggested the dry sack route is the way to go, with a small nylon pack cover.

I organise all my clothes, hammock, food etc in separate dry bags. If it is really looking bad I have a large pack liner too.
Finally, as the outer pockets aren't protected and I don't really want an already heavy pack getting soaked in water, I add a waterproof nylon pack cover.

With the issue Alice packs they used to get a couple of waterproof sacks for gear.

Spraying with a waterproofer may stave off a light shower though.

cheers
Gareth

cuppa joe
14-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Dry bags ...get some British army bergen liners off flea bay....if you get a large bag for the main compartment on the Alice you will be able to take the bag out and put the rucksack and anything else needed inside it to keep water, bugs n such out.

Realearner
14-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys, looks like it will be dry bags inside and a cover outside. That should cover most cases :)

Nako
20-01-2012, 11:05 AM
3 mil Contractor garbage bags work well inside a pack. Just roll down the top of the bag and everything inside stays dry. Much less expensive than dry bags unless our common language is getting in the way again.

Martin
20-01-2012, 02:50 PM
3 mil Contractor garbage bags work well inside a pack. Just roll down the top of the bag and everything inside stays dry. Much less expensive than dry bags unless our common language is getting in the way again.

T^

Martin

Ben Casey
20-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Thats what we used to do when I was young as we didnt have dry bags in them days well I dont think we did :) Back in the early 70's :)

Realearner
20-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks Nako could have saved me some money there

Nako
21-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks Nako could have saved me some money there

Not to salt the wound but garbage bags save weight too.

Realearner
21-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Some people are so cruel, and hope it's sea salt :o

Nako
21-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Some people are so cruel, and hope it's sea salt :o

For you only the best... Himalayan Pink Salt! :D

It may not be as bad as it first appears. You could line your pack with the contractor bag and use the dry bag (strapped to the outside of your pack) for extra gear.

GwersyllaCnau
21-01-2012, 11:56 PM
These days I always use dry bags for EVERYTHING I want to keep dry even if the sack is 'waterproof' and I keep my sleeping bag in my bivi bag. But when I was younger I used a bin bag too.

Fletching
22-01-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm a dry bag man, but for the three canvas Dutch haversacks I just bought (a couple for mates), I'm going back to what I did years ago - beeswax and a hairdryer. Results might look 'tatty' after time, but we all secretly like that 'well used' look don't we? And, after all, t'was what Scott and the Victorians used to do, to good effect. :)

Merman
29-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I have used Barbour thorn proof dressing on an old-school backpack, and it works pretty well in showers and for putting down on damp muddy ground.

Heat the can up and wipe on with an old rag, then hair dry to even out the wax dressing, and put a double amount on seams stc....

CanadianMike
29-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I wonder if something like Thompson's Water Seal (used for decks/concrete, etc. to waterproof) would work on cloth.......... I bought a gallon of it a couple weeks ago to seal the wood arrows I make, which is more than I need, so looking for other uses of it.............

Nako
30-01-2012, 05:28 AM
I wonder if something like Thompson's Water Seal (used for decks/concrete, etc. to waterproof) would work on cloth.......... I bought a gallon of it a couple weeks ago to seal the wood arrows I make, which is more than I need, so looking for other uses of it.............

It works on canvas I know, a friend uses it to treat canvas tarps and tents he uses for mountain man reenactments.

Martin
30-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Just check if the Thompson's water seal is flammable or not.

Martin

CanadianMike
30-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Good to know, thanks. And Martin, am not sure, but because it's a milky colour, am thinking it's waterbased......

Ya, looks like it is waterbased:

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/how-to-protect-waterproof-wood/faqs/

Realearner
30-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Interesting thoughts :)