PDA

View Full Version : Gilpins Axe Renovation - London Stock Finish

mstaines
23-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Recently completed (Well Almost) the renovation of a Gilpins Chip Chop No.1 axe that I found in the back of my shed. And having read a few threads re: axe's, it seems the Gilpins name is quite a good one, so am really chuffed with my find...

I have included a short video of my renovation process and fininshed results :

WATCH VIDEO HERE (http://youtu.be/GZ374M0QAH8)

Has anybody else either owned or still owns a Gilpins axe and what are your views on them ?

Regards,

Mick

Bernie
23-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Nice one Mick. I love seeing old things restored. A shame one of the axes I got at a car boot hadn't had that treatment. The wood inside the axe head was rotten and the head actually broke off when I used it when removing a small dead bush in the garden. Good job it didn't fly off though. I need to make a new handle for it as well; thanks for the reminder. :)

mstaines
23-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks Bernie, yes I agree... why pay loads for something when you just need to spend a few hours on something you already have. glad you liked it... I just need to test it out now...

still water
17-10-2011, 12:28 PM
that looks like a solid little axe mate well done on the resto top marks.

JEEP
17-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Most enjoyable video T^

You have done a fine job breathing life into a fine old axe!

Realearner
17-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Lovely job there, great to see real recycling.
Just one thing I seem to remember something about lanyards on axes and not to have them on your wrist in case it comes out of your hand, it will carry on in it's arc which means it will contact possible squishy bits of your body?
But used for hanging and storage was good.

mstaines
17-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for comments, yes Im really pleased with it and still applying monthly coats...
that looks like a solid little axe mate well done on the resto top marks.