PDA

View Full Version : Tents in the Hills

Reaps72
19-09-2011, 11:41 PM
i was just wondering do you think bright tents should be used in the hills or subdued colours for UK trekking use?

Bright

Pros easily seen by rescue teams if necessary ( god forbid )
Cons easily seen by wardens if stealth camping.

Subdued Vice Versa

Only asking as i'm getting a Vango banshee 300 & it comes in neon oj or khaki!

:camping:

bigzee
20-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I'd take the khaki option. Like you say - the more descreet colours are not only an advantage for stealth, but are more sympathetic to the environment. I don't think the mountain rescue scenario should be a major consideration unless you're doing alpine, himalayan, or polar trips.

Martin
20-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Considering that this will normally be pitched at the end of the day and taked down early in the morning, I would have said that the bright colour would help in case of emergency. Having said that, my Terra Nova Laser is green but that is the only colour they came in.

Martin

comanighttrain
20-09-2011, 09:04 AM
subdued...

I cant stand bright coloured tents, i hate seeing bright coloured tents... like pimples on an otherwise natural landscape. Take a bright survival bag or something you can attract attention with... but unless its some serious alpine adventuring, take a tent that fits the environment

Silverback
20-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Green. If you need to be seen in an emergency then carry a hi vis vest cheap light and does the job. Useful for walking along roadsides in low light conditions too.

Orange survival bag as a marker incidentally almost the same size and colour as an MOD heli LZ panel, useful emergency shelter, can be cut open to make a simple tarp and at the end of the day its still a big orange plastic bag.

I have used them on DoE/AT trips to put my wet kit in rucksack et al outside my tent top keep inside the tent dry and give more room

W

Silverback
20-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't think the mountain rescue scenario should be a major consideration unless you're doing alpine, himalayan, or polar trips.

MRT and Rangers here in the Dark Peak are regularly having to check on brightly coloured tents that have been abandoned by overnight fun campers who dont like it when it rains....which is often. As an aside we had avalanches here in the early part of 2010 where a bright coloured tent may have saved lives.

GwersyllaCnau
21-09-2011, 01:35 AM
subdued...

I cant stand bright coloured tents, i hate seeing bright coloured tents... like pimples on an otherwise natural landscape. Take a bright survival bag or something you can attract attention with... but unless its some serious alpine adventuring, take a tent that fits the environment

I agree

Skate
21-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Bright colours in the countryside is visual pollution. I go there to get closer to nature not to stick out like a sore thumb. I do carry a concealed orange survival bag just in case of problems. But I am also a great believer in "each to there own".

Reaps72
21-09-2011, 08:28 PM
i was just wondering do you think bright tents should be used in the hills or subdued colours for UK trekking use?

Bright

Pros easily seen by rescue teams if necessary ( god forbid )
Cons easily seen by wardens if stealth camping.

Subdued Vice Versa

Only asking as i'm getting a Vango banshee 300 & it comes in neon oj or khaki!

:camping:

Thanks guys for all the advice!

I was leaning towards green, but as it will be used mostly for hiking stop overs, I toyed with oj, on a safety angle!
But you've well & truly answered my question cheers all.

I new this would be a contentious issue!

Realbark
21-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Green. If you need to be seen in an emergency then carry a hi vis vest cheap light and does the job. Useful for walking along roadsides in low light conditions too.

Orange survival bag as a marker incidentally almost the same size and colour as an MOD heli LZ panel, useful emergency shelter, can be cut open to make a simple tarp and at the end of the day its still a big orange plastic bag.
W

Spot on!