PDA

View Full Version : Coastal/Estuary food?

bushcraftboy
19-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm going down to the estuary to look for some foods, I will be picking periwinkles any other things I can pick there?

Also I'm a bit cautious about picking mussels as this time of year they are not ready to pick? because of a toxin and causes DSP, can anyone tell me if I can go picking mussel too?

Martin
19-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm going down to the estuary to look for some foods, I will be picking periwinkles any other things I can pick there?

Also I'm a bit cautious about picking mussels as this time of year they are not ready to pick? because of a toxin and causes DSP, can anyone tell me if I can go picking mussel too?

No one can really tell you if it's safe to pick mussels where you are going. Mussels are filter feeders and so they collect all the toxins in the water where they live. On the other hand, things like winkles, limpets and other moluscs would be better as they are not filter feeders. If you know the water is safe, pick the largest mussels that are lowest down at the low water mark and you "should" be ok.

Martin

GwersyllaCnau
19-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Someone once told me that mussels are only in season when there is an R in the month but please don't take it thats it's ok just coz I said that.

bushcraftboy
19-09-2011, 01:25 PM
What about crab?

Martin
19-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Crab should be ok, just make sure it's alive before you cook it and the water it comes from is clean. I didn't and suffered the consequences. Best enema known to man!!!

Martin

bushcraftboy
19-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Crab should be ok, just make sure it's alive before you cook it and the water it comes from is clean. I didn't and suffered the consequences. Best enema known to man!!!

Martin

I'm not sure about if the water is clean, although there was a DSP warning in April, I plan to go to Loughor estuary.

Martin
19-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, that's the problem. No one is going to recommend eating something if they don't know where it's come from and it would be unwise to tell someone, on the internet, that it is safe to eat anything as there are always the exceptions to every rule. I'm afraid this is one where local knowledge and trial and error are the only way to be sure something is good to eat.

Martin

GwersyllaCnau
19-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure about if the water is clean, although there was a DSP warning in April, I plan to go to Loughor estuary.

Your brave eating anything from Lougher estuary with the sewerage works at the end of Station Road Llangennech

bushcraftboy
19-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Your brave eating anything from Lougher estuary with the sewerage works at the end of Station Road Llangennech

Well I've eaten mussel and periwinkles before, so I think I'll just pick periwinkle and crab.

Martin
19-09-2011, 06:26 PM
You're brave eating anything from Lougher estuary with the sewerage works at the end of Station Road Llangennech

My point exactly.

Martin

bushcraftboy
19-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Ahh to be on the safe side, I'll leave it.

GwersyllaCnau
19-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Wise move me thinks, but there are loads that fish the estuary just below the sewerage works (I know because 6 weeks after I moved here I found I was half a mile from the sewerage works but we don't get no smell thank god

telbert
19-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I found this to be quite useful:http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiybyController?x=357683.0&y=355134.0&scale=1&layerGroups=default&ep=map&textonly=off&lang=_e&topic=coastalwaters#x=539631&y=99726&lg=1,&scale=3

bushcraftboy
19-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I found this to be quite useful:http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiybyController?x=357683.0&y=355134.0&scale=1&layerGroups=default&ep=map&textonly=off&lang=_e&topic=coastalwaters#x=539631&y=99726&lg=1,&scale=3

The last sample was in 2009 and says good, but there was a warning in April 2011, it said this affected only filter feeders, so I suppose periwinkles and crab would still be ok, right?

Bushwhacker
20-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey, go careful on the crabs! They're all edible but you need to remove the gills (dead man's fingers) they will do you in.

Martin
20-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Hey, go careful on the crabs! They're all edible but you need to remove the gills (dead man's fingers) they will do you in.

No they won't. The dead man's fingers aren't poisonous they're just inedible. They are also referred to as the feathers and trying to eat them would be the same as trying to eat feathers. :)

Martin

Bushwhacker
20-09-2011, 12:12 PM
No they won't. The dead man's fingers aren't poisonous they're just inedible. They are also referred to as the feathers and trying to eat them would be the same as trying to eat feathers. :)

Martin

Ha, science prevails over local wisdom.
I've always been told to get rid of them and never questioned it.

bushcraftboy
20-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I hope these crab are edible, because they don't look like the big ones you get over the gower.

These are the crab I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinus_maenas

It also shows a map, that it is native to the UK.

luresalive
20-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Martins right, although they can contain a bacteria which if they're not cooked properly will give you a dicky tummy but they're not poisonous, as a matter of fact green shore crab is probably my fav shell fish

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/luresalive/100_2162.jpg

bushcraftboy
20-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I asked if these ones are edible because the ones I picked with my father before were much larger, Over Gower.

Well anyway I'll be going down Loughor Saturday, I'll be picking crab, periwinkle, mussel (not much) and is there anything else I can pick?

bushcraftboy
22-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd still like to know when I can pick mussel, I'll have to phone I think.

Martin
22-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I'd still like to know when I can pick mussel, I'll have to phone I think.

Who you gonna call?....

Martin ;)

bushcraftboy
22-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Who you gonna call?....

Martin ;)

Swansea council, they issued the warning in April 2011, so I'll phone them up and ask. The toxins should be gone it's September now.

Martin
22-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Who you gonna call?....

... Coastbusters?? :D

Martin

bushcraftboy
22-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Who you gonna call?....

... Coastbusters?? :D

Martin

Ahh right, :) I was a bit dumb there ^^

One more question, I just read on here that you can eat woodlice (also slugs and snails?), anyway do you have to prepare them in anyway?

luresalive
22-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Woodlice I've eaten raw, wouldn't recommend them, as for slugs and snails I avoid them like the plague, even when cooked, because of rat lung worm...

bushcraftboy
22-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Woodlice I've eaten raw, wouldn't recommend them, as for slugs and snails I avoid them like the plague, even when cooked, because of rat lung worm...

So slugs and snails are bad...?

Martin
22-09-2011, 07:24 PM
We ate cooked woodlice a couple of years ago. Here's the video Ash made of it. :)

http://youtu.be/ISwNnZGR35A

Martin

bushcraftboy
22-09-2011, 07:30 PM
We ate cooked woodlice a couple of years ago. Here's the video Ash made of it. :)

http://youtu.be/ISwNnZGR35A

Martin

Hmm I'll try it, so slugs and snails are bad, but woodlice can be eaten, and taste like shrimp.

I was surprised that they are crustaceans.