PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this stove?

CanadianMike
24-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I know what I think, it's rugged and works really well. Is a bit heavy (1.5lbs) compared to other stoves, but folds up compact and you don't have to carry fuel along with you. Just pick up whatever and burn it. And at 20,000BTUs when on full blast........... literally will boil a liter of water in about 3 mins. And also has a pot capacity of up to 50lbs. I used mine back in the summer at the cottage when I did the bulk of my cooking on the campfire, was easier for me to have the stove with a fry pan nearby while flipping meat on the grill........ more so since I didn'thave ot be in two places at once (my girlfriend is lucky I do all the cooking...... I'm lucky because she does the dishes. Lol)

http://www.solhuma.com/products.php?idCatPri=2&lang=en&idCatLevel=16&idPro=9

http://www.solhuma.com/en/video.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJVYoNzalK4

Bambii
24-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Woah!! Never ever seen that before, looks great!

What do you think of it? I dont do pounds, googled it its 0.68kg.

Haha, washing ups the worst bit, lucky you ehh..

That stove boils water faster than a jetboil by a lil bit.

MikeWilkinson
24-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Great looking Stove, seen many customs that perform as well, however they all need batteries!! :(

Shewie
24-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Great looking Stove, seen many customs that perform as well, however they all need batteries!! :(

Yeah I agree, it's the battery thing that puts me off having a go at one

CanadianMike
25-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Ya, the battery drives a fan inside, it's a bit of a turnoff for me too, but the stove will still work as a fire can if you will, just won't have 'boost'. Hehe, I'll have to try it out as a mini forge in upcoming weeks, I KNOW it'll turn metal red hot, just haven't tried it for heat treating a blade yet.

Mouldsy
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I like the idea of these type of stove's where you don't carry fuel, I have bought one before and found it didn't work so well so now I just stick with the Swedish Army Trangia

greenpete
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Gadget for folks with too much money and no training/interest in bush craft...
As the description on the website says, it's a 'survival' stove.
It's not a bush craft stove, which in it self seems to me to be contradiction in terms, there's no 'craft' in lighting and using this stove!
If it requires power, it has no place in my kit, with the exception of a torch.

CanadianMike
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Agreed, It was initially designed as a survival stove (whatever they meant in thinking that way) but then campers and outdoors people picked up on it and went to town with it as a great lightweight but powerful outdoors stove, and things went from there. I like it, but will also be picking up that Ikea 'hobo stove' setup and bringing that along too.

Ashley Cawley
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Gadget for folks with too much money and no training/interest in bush craft...
As the description on the website says, it's a 'survival' stove.
It's not a bush craft stove, which in it self seems to me to be contradiction in terms, there's no 'craft' in lighting and using this stove!
If it requires power, it has no place in my kit, with the exception of a torch.

I understand where your coming from Pete, it dosen't really appeal to me either, whilst I do like wood burning stoves (nature providing the fuel) & I like clever designs, I don't like the electric/motorised part.

It's funny how people use the word 'survival' differently aswell, take for example the stoves promotional video, it is pitching it as a survival-stove, checkout these two poor sods having it rough and only just surviving...

MikeWilkinson
05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Well done mr Greenpete, Summed up perfectly.

paul standley
06-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess.... Not personally my idea of a stove but where do we draw the line ?

There are various flavours of this type of stove, the more familiar ones are the cylindrical fan assisted wood gasifier stoves.

It's interesting though how different people can have different views on what constitutes acceptable bushcrafting and where technology and/or modern materials is or isn't acceptable for them. So, is a shinny stainless steel factory built bushbuddy stove the start of a slippery slope... or is it all OK until you add a battery...

For me, fire is a fundamental element of bushcrafting and making it in various traditional ways is a core bushcraft skill (which I enjoy and which I'm still learning) but I do also like building/using hobo wood and alchohol trail stoves out of recycled modern cans & materials and I use modern tinders and I do also have a gas cartridge stove in my kit so I guess I have a foot in both camps.

CanadianMike
07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I understand where your coming from Pete, it dosen't really appeal to me either, whilst I do like wood burning stoves (nature providing the fuel) & I like clever designs, I don't like the electric/motorised part.

It's funny how people use the word 'survival' differently aswell, take for example the stoves promotional video, it is pitching it as a survival-stove, checkout these two poor sods having it rough and only just surviving...

Ya, I don't know why they still go with the 'survival' aspect of it, when it's obviously now marketed for campers, hikers, etc.

Ashley Cawley
08-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Different strokes for different folks I guess.... Not personally my idea of a stove but where do we draw the line ?

There are various flavours of this type of stove, the more familiar ones are the cylindrical fan assisted wood gasifier stoves.

It's interesting though how different people can have different views on what constitutes acceptable bushcrafting and where technology and/or modern materials is or isn't acceptable for them. So, is a shinny stainless steel factory built bushbuddy stove the start of a slippery slope... or is it all OK until you add a battery...

For me, fire is a fundamental element of bushcrafting and making it in various traditional ways is a core bushcraft skill (which I enjoy and which I'm still learning) but I do also like building/using hobo wood and alchohol trail stoves out of recycled modern cans & materials and I use modern tinders and I do also have a gas cartridge stove in my kit so I guess I have a foot in both camps.
I don't think there's anything wrong with you building hobo, alcohol or wood-gasification stoves.

I have used a wood gasification stove (no electrics or motors etc.) it worked perfectly well and surprisingly efficient, so my question would be; why do you need to add a motor/fan & power-supply to the stove? It would the stove burn the fuel faster - releasing more heat in a shorter amount of time (somewhat like a forge). The only advantage I see so far would be speed?

When I'm in woods I'm not interested in speed, infact I'm all for slowing life down from our hectic pace. For some; there is something therapeutic about feeding wood into your hobo-stove and maintaining your stove.

Hence why I wouldn't go near something like a "Jetboil", don't get me wrong I bet a Jetboil has it's place... overseas troops or truckers perhaps... but it's not really Bushcraft is it?

Ashley Cawley
08-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Ya, I don't know why they still go with the 'survival' aspect of it, when it's obviously now marketed for campers, hikers, etc.
In this case it's probably just another keyword to sell the product to the American audience? I only say that because I think there seems to be a higher rate of survivalists amongst the Americans.

MikeWilkinson
08-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I think the main point here is we are all a part of a movement to practice bushcraft. That means using as little modern technology as possible but still being comfortable in the field - remember bushcraft not survival, there is a difference.

Here in the uk we are unfortunate that technically any open fire made with out permit is illegal and we therefore require a 'stove' to contain our pyromania. Note the word contain. (Technically we need permit to camp out anywhere as well, but some places have speciall allowances made by the owners).

For me any technology that requires the use of another piece of technology or couldn't, given the right skills, be fabricated in the field is not bushcraft/fieldcraft/wilderness living, it is camping a different experiance all together.

Where do I draw the line, well, in the modern world, cans and discarded waste are now almost a given resource in pretty much all environments (drinks cans have been found frozen in the ice up in the artic) so I have no problems with the concept of hobo stoves / alcohol stoves made out of flotsam and jetsam out in the wild, as long as that fabrication doesn't require power tools or other modern fabrication methods.

I'm also in favour of fire containers/wood stoves as these allow a legal use of open fires (of sorts) but still allow us the joys of bushcraft firelighting and cooking - they could be made from hollowed out stone , so are just a modern version of various fire pits used through out history.

Now don't get me wrong I am all for modern 'equivalents' of primitive tools - i.e steel knives, tarps, etc. It is just that the thought of a fan assisted forge is a step to far, now a similar design that used bellows would be a different story - It is like the difference between a chain saw and manual saw, you wouldn't class a chain saw as very bushcraft would you?

My rant over, Sorry.

CanadianMike
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
In this case it's probably just another keyword to sell the product to the American audience? I only say that because I think there seems to be a higher rate of survivalists amongst the Americans.

True, even though this is a Canadian company, they likely targeted that market early on.

Martin
08-12-2010, 07:58 PM
So, I'm guessing that those who don't like technology wouldn't have been too impressed with the electrically driven spit in action at a NaturalBushcraft meet earlier this year?

Tony, the chap who made it, was very proud of his contraption that had been made entirely from 'recycled' (stolen from work) materials.

Martin

gemgenie
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Seems a bit clunky to me - think I will stick with my honey stove I like its versitility though it is heavier than the coke can stoves and the like it packs down flat can be adapted to pretty much any fuel and has the versitility of being able to leave bits at home if you want to save weight.

One of my best buys so far

Ashley Cawley
09-12-2010, 02:30 PM
So, I'm guessing that those who don't like technology wouldn't have been too impressed with the electrically driven spit in action at a NaturalBushcraft meet earlier this year?

Tony, the chap who made it, was very proud of his contraption that had been made entirely from 'recycled' (stolen from work) materials...
lmao... I'll have to dig out the video of that one!

Many took the mick and didn't even think it would do the job - but it did! lol..

... this is the thing; I would say that 'bushcraft' can lead people to exploring & building things which aren't necessarily for Bushcraft activities in the woods, take for example making something like a wood-burner out of a gas-bottle, I would say in a way it is Bushcraft that led me to try that (& a love of fire)... yet "it's not very bushcrafty?" Well.. your not going to take it camping, but it's fire & has a Bushcraft meaning to me. :o

Ashley Cawley
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Tony, the chap who made it, was very proud of his contraption that had been made entirely from 'recycled' (stolen from work) materials...
Found the video! LOL... You can hear Martin asking questions in it...

http://vimeo.com/17640901

greenpete
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
That's not a spit... it's a centrifuge!

Martin
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
That was soooo funny. :D

I was aghast when he pulled it out and started it up but the end product was absolutely delicious and I really had to eat humble pie as well as the delicious beef that came off it. :)

Martin

Bambii
09-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Thats so cool!!!!

Looks really good!

Bush_Men
10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral Ackbar has something to say about it:

http://www.cheshirecatstudios.com/reviews/nier-square-enix/ackbar-its-a-trap.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist.:tongue:

beechnut mick
12-12-2010, 08:53 AM
hear hear greenpete,it defentily does not belong in bushcraft.Tacky gadget.