PDA

View Full Version : 'Sheath with removable magnet and all possible uses for such an idea' thread....

CanadianMike
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Sent this to a few on my Facebook list, Dave Canterbury, Les Stroud, Sean Mulhall (our buddy SilverFox), Mike Snody, etc.

Quick but interesting question for you........

I've designed a Kydex knife sheath that includes a 3/4" x 1/8" rare earth in between the belt loop and the sheath, both of which are held together by 1/4" Chicago screws (screw posts) so easily removable for access........... in a bushcraft/outdoors/survival situation, how many uses can you come up with to justify having a small... but powerful magnet on you in your sheath, for a knife with a cord wrapped handle. I can come up with at least a half dozen myself, is why I designed it this way, just wondering what you more experienced guys can come up with beyond what I have in mind, and also seeing what your opinion of such is.

Funny, first suggestion on the Pathfinder School page was to use the magnet to make a needle point north.......... which is a great idea, but I popped down one of my first thoughts when I designed this sheath, use the magnet to retrieve your knife or other metal object you might drop and find unaccessable, but have cordage and a banadana or other material to make a pouch.

What all uses can you guys come up with that I haven't thought about yet?

Dan XF
08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd leave it on the back of the sheath to hold the knife in place. I've got a couple of coldsteel knives and just don't trust them not to fall out of the laughingly called Securex sheath.

CanadianMike
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
That was the main reason to put a magnet in there, added security, especially if the cordwrap comes off. But got me to thinking, make the sheath modular and the magnet removable, increases the flexibility of the system.