PDA

View Full Version : Birch Bark Hip Flask

Adam Savage
07-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I recently saw a video on youtube, by Sean Mulhall (aka silver fox bushcraft) of making a birch bark hip flask. It's a good video and Sean is great at this kind of stuff, so I decided to give it a go.

My video isn't as good as his, but I'm quite pleased with the end result.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/070920111008.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/070920111009.jpg

The video is awaiting approval, as it is a video response, but I will post it up ASAP.

Here's Seans video anyway.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSNFs_00GBY

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnO-Zxnmk5I

rich290185
07-09-2011, 08:58 PM
cool i collect hip flasks, never seen anything like this will give it a go!

thanks crazy.:D

Adam Savage
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
No worries Rich.

Here's my vid, for what it's worth lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnf3BBj0KCg

rich290185
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
looks good mate

Adam Savage
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks Rich. Just finished waxing it, so looks a little move even and tidy now.

Metal mug
08-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Was that the flask you took on the Dartmoor walk Adam?

Adam Savage
08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes indeed. It still smells of brandy lol.

rich290185
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
lol im more of a whisky man!

Adam Savage
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
If it's JD or Southern Comfort, then I'd agree. I'm not too keen on the homegrown varieties...well, not until I've had a few of the others first lol.
I had some Napoleon left over so packed it with my hand rolled Hamlett for completion, although I ended up drinking it when we stopped to set up camp.

Metal mug
08-09-2011, 08:43 PM
If it's JD or Southern Comfort, then I'd agree. I'm not too keen on the homegrown varieties...well, not until I've had a few of the others first lol.
I had some Napoleon left over so packed it with my hand rolled Hamlett for completion, although I ended up drinking it when we stopped to set up camp.Well to be fair on you, your knee was quite swollen. Ouch.

Blu
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice idea. I've got a small flask that someone gave me as a present, unfortunately they didn't know i don't drink, so now i have found a use for it. Good video as well by the way.

Adam Savage
09-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Blu. Just passing on knowledge and ideas from others here, but someones got to get these ideas about I guess :)

Adam

Blu
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Just a quick question with regards to Birch Bark, are the any restrictions on gathering it, i.e. is it ok to take it from say a public park. And does/should the tree be fallen/felled naturally or by other means.

Adam Savage
09-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Officially, nothing can be taken from a location, without the landowners permission, including council or government owned land. It would be irresponsible for me to say something like..."what they don't know, won't hurt them", or.."it's ok unless you get caught", but many people tend to take this attitude.
As far as when to gather birch bark, many birch "shed" their bark (or at least parts of it) during the year. If you need to use more than your bare hands, then it should not be removed. Never "ring" the tree, as in take a continuous piece of bark, from all the way around the circumference of the tree. Even fallen or felled trees are habitats to wildlife, from insects to bacteria. I took my bark from a wind fallen tree, that was being disposed of, as they were clearing a track through a wood. Basically, I believe it is ok to collect birch bark, as long as you use a little common sense and leave the majority for mother nature.

Hope that is of some use to you Blu.

Adam

CanadianMike
09-09-2011, 09:52 PM
That Sean is a clever guy. He and I were chatting the other day on Facebook, asked him what ideas he could come up with for my 'strong magnet in a knife sheath', came up with the usual "Carry needles, magnetise, find if dropped, knife retention", etc. and I pointed being able to retrieve your knife if dropped, blah, blah, then he actually said "set it up with some copper wire ad make a small power source from it"........ so I thought a great idea, and told him to go for it, would love to see him do something like that, even just enough to trickle charge a cell phone or whatever.

Blu
10-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Officially, nothing can be taken from a location, without the landowners permission, including council or government owned land. It would be irresponsible for me to say something like..."what they don't know, won't hurt them", or.."it's ok unless you get caught", but many people tend to take this attitude.
As far as when to gather birch bark, many birch "shed" their bark (or at least parts of it) during the year. If you need to use more than your bare hands, then it should not be removed. Never "ring" the tree, as in take a continuous piece of bark, from all the way around the circumference of the tree. Even fallen or felled trees are habitats to wildlife, from insects to bacteria. I took my bark from a wind fallen tree, that was being disposed of, as they were clearing a track through a wood. Basically, I believe it is ok to collect birch bark, as long as you use a little common sense and leave the majority for mother nature.

Hope that is of some use to you Blu.

Adam

Excellent info, thank you. I'll keep a keen eye open next time i'm out with the dog and see whats available locally.
Nice one.

Adam Savage
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
he actually said "set it up with some copper wire ad make a small power source from it"........ so I thought a great idea, and told him to go for it, would love to see him do something like that, even just enough to trickle charge a cell phone or whatever.

That would be interesting to see. I'll have to keep an eye on his channel

Adam Savage
10-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Excellent info, thank you. I'll keep a keen eye open next time i'm out with the dog and see whats available locally.
Nice one.

No problem buddy.

Kieran
23-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Well to be fair on you, your knee was quite swollen. Ouch.

I would of just sat down and done no walking! haha.

Kieran
23-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Nice idea. I've got a small flask that someone gave me as a present, unfortunately they didn't know i don't drink, so now i have found a use for it. Good video as well by the way.

Being 15 I don't drink either!
So I use mine for milk when I go out for a day! haha

Adam Savage
23-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Some people use the larger hip flasks for carrying extra water, but milk sounds a much better use to me.

MikeWilkinson
07-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice cover there, a lit bit disappointed by the title, I was hoping for a full Birch bark Flask :) Would have gone nicely with my Birch bark knife sheaths.
Ahh Well, another project to think about and add to the list.

Adam Savage
07-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Nice cover there, a lit bit disappointed by the title, I was hoping for a full Birch bark Flask :) Would have gone nicely with my Birch bark knife sheaths.

I would have a go at making a complete bark flask, but my skills probably wouldn't hold water (pun intended :)).

Kieran
07-10-2011, 09:01 PM

How can you be disapointed by this? :O :confused2:

Adam Savage
07-10-2011, 09:31 PM
How can you be disapointed by this? :O :confused2:

You're talking about the birch bark king there Kieran. Mike makes everything and anything from the stuff ;)

Roadkillphil
23-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Ended up here after seeing your website Adam and our discussion on the matter of hip flasks and woodbees.... Another project on the cards!! :D

Adam Savage
23-01-2012, 09:52 PM
It's a pretty straightforward project, but can be a little fiddly at times. Just need to find some nice bark form somewhere sustainable :)