PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Folk

Ashley Cawley
05-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I've just discovered this organisation called "Woodcraft Folk" through Twitter, their bio on Twitter read: Empowering children and young people to influence the world around them, starting with education about equality, internationalism, environment and cooperation.

Just checked out their website and really liked the sound of their ethos: http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/about

Only just discovered them myself but I was just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with them, participating or volunteering etc?

fish
05-09-2011, 10:35 PM
sounds like a cleverly disguised business to me! :"please send £5 deposit for your space"

ANDYRAF
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Sounds like a non militaristic (non uniform) form of scouting or guides.

Andy

fish
06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
i think its a grade better than scouts and beavers!

the website is very poor,sayes theres a group local to me but give sod all details.

phinharper
06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
"Cleverly disguised business" !? Ha! Brilliant.

Hi Ashley, Andy & Fish,

I've been going to my Woodcraft Folk group since I was 6 and couldn't recommend it enough especially to the Natural Bushcraft community. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Woodcraft Folk members on this forum already but I've sent an e-mail to the head office asking if someone could reply to this thread with some contact details.

This summer with Woodcraft Folk I was volunteering at their international camp "CoCamp - the international festival of co-operation". Image a few thousand children, young people and adults from all over the world all going to Sherwood forest for a fortnight of camping, bands, co-operative activities and political debates. It even had its own newspaper (http://woodcraft.org.uk/cocamp-couriers%20) and radio station. The bush craft area was fantastic and really popular especially among the younger children.

So Woodcraft Folk do lots of camps in the UK and abroad, locally and with thousands of people but the real core of their work is local groups. Mine had several different age groups and we did lots of craft and outdoor activities as well as some really interesting discussions & trips. I'd comfortably say I learnt more from my weekly trip to Woodcraft Folk about the real world than school. Favourite memory? When I was 13 my group went camping by a lake in Austria - we did a parachute drop where you get driven some place in the mountain and have to work your way back over the day with nothing but your bushcraft tools, and a compass. Ended up eating stewed berries by a lake the colour of earl grey tea.

anyway I digress.

I'm pretty sure all you have to do to get in contact with a local group or activity centre or whatever is call the head office (the number should be on the website if they don't reply here!)

give me a shout if you get stuck. For now check out the video for CoCamp:

http://www.vimeo.com/22754768

phin

Woodcraft Folk
06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi all,

Thanks Phin for your e-mail. Looks like we're just a bit late but thank you for giving us a poke.

In answer to your question Fish there are data protection issues with publishing contact details and exact meeting locations on the website but if you call the head office on (+44) 020 7703 4173 they will be more than happy to put you in touch.

I assume you're quoting the £5 deposit for the South West Regional Training? Its being run by local volunteers at The Wilderness centre and as with most Woodcraft events all food is provided. Deposits are an important way to make sure people don't book then drop out at the last minute which then costs everybody a whole lot more in wasted food and beds. If you would like to get in touch directly with the volunteers running the South West Training I'd recommend using claytononboard@yahoo.com

Andy Its certainly true Woodcraft Folk has been non militaristic since 1925 when it was established and over the years Scouts and Guides have sometimes looked to Woodcraft Folk for advice on inclusion, democracy and young people in decision making roles but the organisations are still really very different. Woodcraft Folk has always been secular, co-educational, co-operative and political with a small p!

If you have any questions please do ask. Head office contact details are bellow.

Thanks

jus_young
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Welcome to NB folks, I have to admit that I have never heard of the organisation but you got my attention (just don't tell the Scouts)

Ashley Cawley
07-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Sounds great - thanks for posting. I'll certainly check it out further when I get a chance.

beni261062
08-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi All- Woodcraft Folk, is a pretty unique youth organisation in Britain. It draws its inspiration from the works of Ernest Thompson Seton originally. We have the most thorough going programme of bushcraft learning among UK youth groups- check out www.thebushcraftway.co.uk. The login area is restricted to adult members at present so you would have to join or become a supporter. We are about to go to print with 4 education packs for kids from pre school (Woodchips) up to our 13-16 age group (Venturers). The schema was put togerger by John Ryder of Woodcraft School. We are also promoting Forest School and a growing number of leaders are becoming level 3 qualified. I am Co chair of a working party trying to promote camping and outdoor adventure in the movement- I will promote this excellent site to members and would encourage you to seek out local groups as a volunteer.

Blue skies! (a woodcraft greeting)

Beni

paul standley
18-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Ahh ... That Woodcraft Folk emblem takes me back over 40 years to my youth in Great Barr in Birmingham and my very happy memories of my time spent in the The Woodcraft Folk.

Great ethic...

My parents and a couple of older brothers were all leaders at some point and I didn't hear anything about them for donkey's years until last year when I googled them and was delighted to find that they are still going strong...

Abiding memories of getting the "Kim's run" badge among others...Can't believe it was over 40 years ago, where does the time go...

Paul.

Raven
19-09-2011, 11:58 AM
never heard of this before, sounds interesting as i have a 6yr old that loves the outdoors, i'll have to check out if there's a group near me.