PDA

View Full Version : A very special moment for me..

J_P
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Every now and then a special moment happens,Ive taught many people this skill over many years but this has made my year.
This weekend at a Scout leaders reunion Pablo and my self attended as Woodlife Trails with the Wilderness Gathering Travelling Roadshow i met a very special old gentleman of 89 years old, he joined the Scouting movement at 16 at which time he tried with a few others fire by friction, and just never succeeded after many attempts over many years, until now .
He watched me do a Demo to a crowd of leaders and told me his history briefly, As a scout he met Baden Powell and then made it through the 2nd world war to go back to the scouting movement to help disabled children become scouts as he him self has had polio from the age of 4 and now is very poorly and has severe muscle wastage,and im not even scratching the surface really, the man is amazing and i could have listened to him all day.

Well here it is shortened, still gives me goose bumps..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VB18iX76E&feature=colike
Pure Quality!

comanighttrain
04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
that is fantastic :)

side note, for an 89 year old, he is in tremendous condition

Tony1948
04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Good onya J_P looks like you made an old boy verry happey..........Well done

J_P
04-09-2011, 09:09 PM
And hes had polio since he was 4, he was worse than he looked the poor old fellow, his wrists were so weak and he shook badly, still he still had the heart of a lion!! he told me that if he didnt do it now that it would be his last opportunity, strangely enough he lives 30 mins from me! im going to go to his group and help for a few meetings ;)

jus_young
04-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Its those moments that neither will ever forget.

JonnyP
05-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice one mate, brought a tear to my eye did that..

Bernie
05-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Nice one mate, brought a tear to my eye did that..

As it did for me. "Fantastic"!