PDA

View Full Version : What are you working on right now?

DaveBr
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Ok so there are a few projects that i'm working on at the minute with varying degrees of success lol. Just wondered what everyone else is in the middle of or even not started yet but are in the planning stages.

Lets hear from you

Dave

Humakt
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Well, right now, I'm not working on anything, because I'm at work ;)
But I have been umming and ahhing about buying a new blade as a re-handling project. In my mind I can see it and it looks great and everything.
But I don't really need a new knife, so it seems like a waste of money.
Keep meaning to do some weaving, but I don't really need loads of woven baskets around. Same for making a kuksa - they look good but are pretty much useless as cups (even the biggest don't hold much).
Weekend just gone I did modify a leather water bottle pouch I made some time ago. I carved a decorative Celtic knot type thingy on a leather panel and then stitched that to the bottle pouch. Came out really well. I'd previously tried doing a fox, but it looked more like a collie dog, which may be lovely dogs, but not what I wanted. So I did a Celtic knot instead.

great white ape
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Am working on sharpening my blade

I need to get some smoking done and with luck will hang saussages this autumn

I want to arrange some more walks/ camp outs and am seriously feeling the urge to whittle

Dan XF
02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Trying to introduce my kids to bushcraft but as my wife is against camping and outdoor activities it's been hard. Today went for a walk in the crown forest with my dogs and my daughter. Took the honey stove and a litre bottle of water, a pot and a little flask of milk, a jar of honey and some chai teabags. I told my daughter that we were going to stop off and have a brew. That we would light a fire with no matches and then leave no trace. Although she was worried that one of the wardens might tell us off for lighting a fire (Swinley did suffer from a large forest fire earlier in the year) we left not a trace. I don't think the queen would have been upset by the way we conducted ourselves. So thanks to her Majesty my daughter has a little more understanding of leave no trace, and much to my wife's disgust is asking about a weekend camping trip with a bit of fishing and foraging thrown in.

jus_young
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Trying to introduce my kids to bushcraft but as my wife is against camping and outdoor activities it's been hard. Today went for a walk in the crown forest with my dogs and my daughter. Took the honey stove and a litre bottle of water, a pot and a little flask of milk, a jar of honey and some chai teabags. I told my daughter that we were going to stop off and have a brew. That we would light a fire with no matches and then leave no trace. Although she was worried that one of the wardens might tell us off for lighting a fire (Swinley did suffer from a large forest fire earlier in the year) we left not a trace. I don't think the queen would have been upset by the way we conducted ourselves. So thanks to her Majesty my daughter has a little more understanding of leave no trace, and much to my wife's disgust is asking about a weekend camping trip with a bit of fishing and foraging thrown in.

My wife once felt the same way about camping. She always said that there was no way that I would find her out with all the bugs etc. The thing that changed her mind was that after 10 years of me being self employed and working constantly she demanded a holiday with the kids and the only holiday she was going to get/afford was a camping holiday. It basically started as glamping, then she started taking an interest in my bushcraft type ways, Scout leader and son in cubs followed with all that goes with it and now she is all about 'going with as little as possible but remember we have kids' style of family camping. Their minds can change but sometimes they just need a little bit of persuation. We have even done the Cornwall RV and Wilderness Gathering and she keeps wanting more!

Tony1948
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi all sorry I missed some of you at the gathering,next time.Right now I'm working on an other knife(sirprize,sirprize)For the Brotherinlore,I got the blade at the gathering it's a Lauri Laplander carbon steel with a 53/4 inch blade with hiden tang,it's having buffalo,dear antler and cherry wood handle I'll post some pitchers when I get my camera back off no1 offspring.Back to the shed the apoxy should be dry..................TONY

Dan XF
03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
To be fair to my wife she has humoured me in the past and tried camping. In a campsite and even up in the wilds of the Highlands but she hated every minute. I'm after a nice Canadian canoe now so that I can take the kids along the Thames and stop over for the night then continue on the next day. As the wife would have no plans to join us it would give us a driver for the drop of and pick up so thats easy enough I think. Love it when a plan comes together.

GwersyllaCnau
28-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Just showed my son how to make a whistle. We used rose wood (I happened to be cutting it back). He's pleased with it but I'm getting a headache now lol.

markal17
28-10-2011, 04:15 PM
saveing money lol

Colliewobble
28-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm getting interested in animal tracks and stuff - not very good at following anything yet, but getting a bit better at spotting stuff. Anyway, read about a 'tracking stick'; can't find out much about them but I think I've got the general idea of them, so I'm having a go at making one. If anyone knows much about tracking, animal watching, tracking sticks or whatever, please feel free to advise me!

Whistle
28-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Just showed my son how to make a whistle. We used rose wood (I happened to be cutting it back). He's pleased with it but I'm getting a headache now lol.

Ha ha ha ! You could always offer to demonstrate the principals of "Perfect Pitch" where you stand back and get it straight into the bin without it touching the sides !!! Ha ha ha !!!
Just dont let him hear any diddly music or he'll get hooked like I was !

Cheers Whistle

bushcraftboy
29-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to make nettle cordage but it's hard.

Metal mug
29-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm trying to make nettle cordage but it's hard.What part are you having trouble with?

Jack

LandRoverMatt
29-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I am building a shelter in the fields across the road.

Colliewobble
29-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I had a go at nettle cordage, but when it came to separating the fibres into long strips, they just sort of shredded so I ended up with no bits that were long enough to do much with.

Metal mug
29-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I had a go at nettle cordage, but when it came to separating the fibres into long strips, they just sort of shredded so I ended up with no bits that were long enough to do much with.Yeah that seems to happen to most nettles. I only use nettle cordage for small bits 'n' bobs. I guess that persistence is the trick.

Colliewobble
29-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh - I was hoping I was doing summat wrong, someone would tell me what, and next thing I'd be producing yards of superstrong cordage...:confused2:
...guess not!

Tony1948
29-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Just hardden the last 3 file blades I will make 2 OK 1 burnt but now sorted and all looking good.Photos to follow,my little gas bottle forge is now up for grabes, as a gift to enny one on the forum how wants it, pick up only to heavey to post PM me if you wont it,it's got an air blower ,a bag of coke plus a half finnished file blade,it's got the sganddy grinde done gust needs a bit more work on it.Free to a good home.

Realearner
06-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Got a couple of projects on the go, 1) trying to make a portable windshield come pit stand for a trangia or my home made burner. 2) rehandling a cheap mora 511 knife I got for a fiver. 3) finishing a couple of walking staffs. 4) playing with making a half-penny stove that's efficient and reliable for a quick one cup brew.
But always have my head working on other things to make :o

GwersyllaCnau
20-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Just QUICKLY made 2 stoves. One following bigzee's design using a lynx can and one smaller using guesswork and luck from a can of womens deodorant. Yes I know the workmanship leaves ALOT to be desired but I'll tidy them up later.

bushcraftboy
20-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Although I'm not working on anything to do with bushcraft apart from practising carving fish hooks and feather sticks, I'm actually building a 50,000Volt 15mA power supply.

Tony1948
20-11-2011, 10:05 PM
2919Just got 2 more Laplander blade blanks.2920And the last 3 blades I made on my forge have goy to have handles fitted:happy-clapping:

wytchwood bushcraft
06-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Only on paper so far but making an ammobox woodstove which is probably nowt new to folks but I am trying to create a wood gasification one so that its more efficient and a first (to the best of my knowledge) :)
ATB
Jono

CanadianMike
06-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Cross between working on my 4Runner (just got a basic roof rack, and am getting a Sahara type steel basket shortly to add to it, to hold my new Honda spare tire........ yes, different brand but it'll fit, and isn't rusted to hell like my underbelly spare that is a smaller rim), and working on cutting out two knife blanks of 3/16" thick steel, one for a local bud, the other for happybonzo. After or during those, a pair of Scout knives, one with a curly maple handle, the other with a birdseye maple handle. And also looking at starting a kitchen knife with a purpleheart and brass handle for my mom for Christmas........ so yes, a very busy boy this month!

WombleWill
06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
I will be working on a Semi-Permenant Shelter next weekend, and any other spare time, Will be contrusting some sort of roofed area, with wind guards big enough to have seating area, lil work shop / work thing xD and build a small brick oven or such!!! And will also be try to make a wood burning stove out of random items i have or i can purchase very very cheaply as im a stingey bugger :D

Atb

Will.

wescobts
11-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I am so new to this craft, no matter what direction I turn, something could be learned. That is not much of an answer so here is one principle I will study-Tree identification, being able to identify the trees in my region that are good for me to be around/use.

Ben Casey
11-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Im just trying to work out how to get my crook knife to work :(

Tony1948
11-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Ben cut you'r boll out first in the spoon or boll,cup then cut the shape and cut across the grain with your knife,You now you can get right or left handed, you got the right one:confused2:T^

Ben Casey
12-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Ben cut you'r boll out first in the spoon or boll,cup then cut the shape and cut across the grain with your knife,You now you can get right or left handed, you got the right one:confused2:T^

Cheers mate :D It has a edge on both sides and the end :( :D

Mountain Goat
19-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Walking home today I found this peg made out of quite pliable metal so I've just made that into a hook for lifting hot pots and stuff from the fire. Thinking of making a hobo stove pretty soon. Any ideas?

Jefferson
19-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm currently making my first hobo stove and its coming along nicely.... iv made it from some scrap metal from work and cut it down to fit the small zebra billy can i bought... I'm sure I'll be making plenty more in the future..
:campfire: Dave..

Adam Savage
19-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm currently making my first hobo stove and its coming along nicely.... iv made it from some scrap metal from work and cut it down to fit the small zebra billy can i bought... I'm sure I'll be making plenty more in the future..

Nice one. Hope you post some pics when it's all done. :)

Kieran
29-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I am working on a handle for a knife I have purchased.

Click here (http://www.ronniesunshines.com/index.php/bushcraft-1/bushcraft-tools-1/bushcraft-knives/mora-scandvik-12c27-knife-blank.html)

What glue should I use? I was thinking araldite?

www.ruralsurvival.net

CanadianMike
29-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Gorilla Glue if you have it over there......

Kieran
29-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah we do. A few friends have mentioned it although I have never seen it personally.. But it does exist.

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Gorilla glue is excellent if you're using fibre liners, or just bare wood scales, but if you use high impact or brass liners, then a two part epoxy called "Super Steel" works fantastically. Make sure you rough up the surfaces on both the scales (and liners if you use them) and the tang. Giving more surface area, makes for a much better bond. :)

JonnyP
29-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I am working on an old rotten Discovery.. Big job..

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/001-2.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/001-1.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/002-1.jpg

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 08:16 PM
...an old rotten Discovery..

Is there any other sort? lol

Basha72
29-12-2011, 08:19 PM
yep pretty rotton, is this going to be limerover part 2 will be a good workhorse when done I guess the ruggedness of the landrover with the comfort of the rangerover.

Good luck with it

Basha

CanadianMike
29-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Ya, one with the steering wheel on the other side. Lol

I'm working on Steve Fletcher's Scout knife, but you all know that by now.

Only other thing I've been poking away at past days has been clearing the snow of my 4Runner..... almost there!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401032_10150486603299207_510619206_8411540_1495823 250_n.jpg

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Send some of that snow over here. We'll give you good money if it isn't melted when it lands. :)

CanadianMike
29-12-2011, 09:52 PM
If I will it your direction, does that count?

BTW...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405704_210222605728943_117036668380871_444665_1949 694903_n.jpg

What's funny Adam, is this side the pins are all almost straight, but on the other side, two are crooked. Go figure, eh? Didn't know mosaic pins could twist, quite odd!

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 10:17 PM
If you made the pins yourself, sometimes the wires and tubes inside, set in the resin at funny angles. It normally helps if you make a 6 inch pin or something, with the wires and tubes sticking out the ends, so you can make sure they are lined up.

Looking good by the way mate. T^

CanadianMike
29-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks. Problem is with making them that long, is getting enough JB Weld far down enough to bind all together for when cutting each to length. Is why I make them about 1/4" longer than the scales and blade thickness, have to pack the stuff in to get it almost out the other side. First time I've seen everything bend the same from one side to the other.

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 10:30 PM
There are thinner epoxies, that can have pigment added, then just squirt it down the end with a syringe. I have some water clear casting resin, which takes most colours pretty well. Have heard people using super glue for pins too, but I haven't tried that.

CanadianMike
29-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Pins are still new to me, and messy, don't see a lot wrong with using thinner epoxy though, in the shadows of the tube it'll look dark.

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Rick (Savagewolfrm) uses powder paints, to colour the resin. I Have had some success with powder dyes. Stay away from oil based liquid paints, as I still have a set of pins drying, after about three months lol. If not, mixing ground charcoal, coal dust, or wood ash, might do the trick, a little like pine resin glue.

CanadianMike
30-12-2011, 12:20 AM
....and the classic Sharpie! :D

JonnyP
30-12-2011, 10:47 AM
No.. The chassis is good, only bad rust being that rear cross member you can see, but the mounts and body panels are rubbish.. I will sort it though..

yep pretty rotton, is this going to be limerover part 2 will be a good workhorse when done I guess the ruggedness of the landrover with the comfort of the rangerover.

Good luck with it

Basha

Cheers mate.. I may well be painting it lime green, but may trade it in for another 110 when its all finished. I really miss my old Lime Rover

JonnyP
30-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Forgot to say.. I have just finished making a hay box..
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1980-01-01/Rediscover-the-Hay-Box-Cooker.aspx
I have a stew going in it right now, so will be interesting to see (and taste) how it turns out..

Adam Savage
30-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Look forward to seeing the beast develop. I must admit, I'd be happy with any kind of landie, apart from a freelander. 90s and 110s are just too expensive for their age and condition though. Maybe the best way is what you are planning. Getting a disco, refurbish it, trade it for a defender or a county. :)

JonnyP
30-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Look forward to seeing the beast develop. I must admit, I'd be happy with any kind of landie, apart from a freelander. 90s and 110s are just too expensive for their age and condition though. Maybe the best way is what you are planning. Getting a disco, refurbish it, trade it for a defender or a county. :)

I picked this one up really cheap. I have borrowed a welder off a mate and am not letting dispair get in my way lol. I have not done any sort of welding since about 1986 and I am not a mechanic, so its been interesting.. I am getting on though. Joining a land rover forum has helped me big time. There are plenty of pictures and stories of folk who have done all what I need to do..

Adam Savage
30-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I picked this one up really cheap. I have borrowed a welder off a mate and am not letting dispair get in my way lol. I have not done any sort of welding since about 1986 and I am not a mechanic, so its been interesting.. I am getting on though. Joining a land rover forum has helped me big time. There are plenty of pictures and stories of folk who have done all what I need to do..

You have a good eye for detail, so I'm sure it will turn out just as well, as anyone else's efforts. Those forums are a great place to pick up info. If you ever see a chap called Badger90, he's a fountain of knowledge. He's pretty much built his landie up from the ground, with engine swaps, gearbox mods, chassis mods, etc.... He's been to a few of the Dartmoor meets. Top bloke.

dog.breath
30-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I received an atlatl kit for Christmas. It came with the unfinished atlatl and shafts & fletching for 6 darts. So far I've finished the atlatl and one of the darts and have been learning how to throw it. Pretty fun so far...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6578021463_6856290eb2_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spirituscanis/6578021463/)

Bigmikejenkins
30-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been working on my first ever knife today, a great deal more difficult than I imagined, especially putting everything into place within 4 minutes before the epoxy started to harden. 6 hours down so far.

Its a mammoth blades 01C 4mm blade (Not sure what that means entirely) with a lime wood and dark green felt handle, locked in place with brass pins.

Adam Savage
30-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I've been working on my first ever knife today, a great deal more difficult than I imagined, especially putting everything into place within 4 minutes before the epoxy started to harden. 6 hours down so far.

Its a mammoth blades 01C 4mm blade (Not sure what that means entirely) with a lime wood and dark green felt handle, locked in place with brass pins.

Looking good mate. Tom makes some great knives. The O1C, would probably mean it is O1 tool steel. The O1 means there is approx 1% carbon content (hence the C), but usually around 0.98%.

CanadianMike
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396411_216525211765349_117036668380871_461639_1406 251865_n.jpg

Gift for my mom. Marker scribbles are just my way of monitoring where the steel is coming off. Is kind of a really shallow convex blade the way the grind came out, used my 3 degree bevel and also dropped the angle of my sander table a bit to get the bevel higher.

Adam Savage
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
What steel are you using for that Mike?

CanadianMike
10-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Same O-1 I've been using all along. I know it'll get a patina, but will have to give explicit instructions on care for it though.

jus_young
10-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Working on a home made hammock underquilt. Using a cheap sleeping bag at the moment as a trial peice and following the necessary trials and tweeks I think a homemade down one may follow.

Primerib
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Hey y'all,
I'm new here and this is (except for the "say hello thread") my first contribution.

Unfortunately I've become addicted to making these paracord bracelets, zipper-"handles" with the cobra weave. After a day at work it is almost...let's say...a kind of meditation. My girlfriend is affraid that every zipper in our flat is going to get cobra-weaved! Haha. But now I have to wait till new material arrives.

Yesterday she almost called the looney bin as i started lighting her cosmetic cotton pads and tampons with my new firesteel on the porch.

Cheers
Toby

Adam Savage
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I know exactly what you mean with the meditation (or maybe therapy lol). It's a great skill to possess, and fantastic results can be achieved with pretty basic weaves.
Hopefully see some pictures of your work on the forum some time. :)

Adam

Silverback
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
A take down bow from wooden drain rods - as per a video i saw via a link on NB

dave budd
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
at present on my workbench I have:

3x GreenMan bushacraft knives
1 parang
1 large folding sickle
1 field archers knife
1 billhook
1 seax
2 folding knives
20 weaving tools (gripfids)
10 assorted basketry tools
15 ash bowstaves in need of stripping

then of course I've got the woods to work on, workshop extensions to finish, forge to build and a power hammer to procure (followed by moving and siting).

Oh and being that time of year I have to find some time to do the bloody tax return!

Silverback
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh and being that time of year I have to find some time to do the bloody tax return!

OH CRAP !!! :ashamed:

jus_young
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
at present on my workbench I have:

3x GreenMan bushacraft knives
1 parang
1 large folding sickle
1 field archers knife
1 billhook
1 seax
2 folding knives
20 weaving tools (gripfids)
10 assorted basketry tools
15 ash bowstaves in need of stripping

then of course I've got the woods to work on, workshop extensions to finish, forge to build and a power hammer to procure (followed by moving and siting).

I feel another working party coming on :)

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Desperately trying to stabilise some more spalted beech, for Fletching's Knife. Cut four pairs of scales (two x-cut, two deep cut/rip cut), and will be pressure stabilising some, vacuum stabilising the others, to see if either method will be successful this time. Unfortunately, due to the extent of spalting, they haven't been playing the game so far, but we'll see in a few days to a week :).

Next to an old file I bought today, for 50p :D
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0314.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0315.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0316.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0317.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0318.jpg

tadpole
16-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I feel another working party coming on :)

Now that is a great Idea!

Humakt
16-01-2012, 03:00 PM
A take down bow from wooden drain rods - as per a video i saw via a link on NB

Anyone got a link to that?

bigstan
16-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I am just collecting some scrap stainless to make a raised fire grate. Some places i go dont allow ground fires and i do enjoy a good burn up.

Silverback
16-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Anyone got a link to that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upucP_LNSAs

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Is that a figure 12, or a 12c avatar? :p

Jefferson
16-01-2012, 06:00 PM

here are some pictures.... not the best material as its a little thick and heavy...but it works!! 3464346634673465 3468

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Looks great Dave. Thick means it'll last a decent length of time :). Most hobo stoves "burn out" after many uses.

Jefferson
16-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah i dont think this will burn out in a rush.. Its 2mm thick stainless tube and the plate i welded to the bottom is also the same.. All i need now is a picture of itall together with my brew kit. :D

Iv also just finshed my lastest project, which was water proofing my DD hammock... im thinking of having an outing this weekend so hopefully there will be some nice pictures :D

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Cool. I shall look out for any reports :)

Silverback
16-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Is that a figure 12, or a 12c avatar? :p

Fig 12

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're normally used for pistol training, aren't they? Mostly used 11s in my time (rifle-300yrds, or was it metres).

Ben Casey
16-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're normally used for pistol training, aren't they? Mostly used 11s in my time (rifle-300yrds, or was it metres).

I think it was metres mate and we always had fig 12 and I think the fig 11 was at a 100 metres :)

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 09:53 PM
12s and 12cs were the top halves only weren't they? Sure we only ever used 11s at standard engagement range (300...m lol). Never came as close as 100. Dunno, it's been a good few years lol. Anyway, we better stop, or Martin will have to come spank us again :eek:

Ben Casey
16-01-2012, 09:56 PM
12s and 12cs were the top halves only weren't they? Sure we only ever used 11s at standard engagement range (300...m lol). Never came as close as 100. Dunno, it's been a good few years lol. Anyway, we better stop, or Martin will have to come spank us again :eek:

True he will LOL I always got confused by them anyway :D

CanadianMike
16-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Two rehardens, normalized three times, then heat treated again and quenched (and yes, I successfully brought the large one up to critical four times....... and the oak handle is still intact!!!!!), did a Scout I had sitting around that has a partial bevel on it, and the first time ever, I heat treated my winter hat!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/390475_219921838092353_117036668380871_469926_1314 402159_n.jpg

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure the hat will catch on...catch on fire, maybe...catch on fashion wise.....hmmm :D

Fletching
16-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Just ordered another two sides of Scandinavian hides from Le Provo (http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm#upholstery) as I've some more pouches/bags to make for some friends. Will post some pics up when they arrive. Hopefully, will be the exact same colour as the last batch (need just a small bit to finish off one particular possibles pouch!).

Steve

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Just ordered anothder two sides of Scandinavian hides from Le Provo (http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm#upholstery) as I've some more pouches/bags to make for some friends.

Steve

Have you ever tried using pig skin? It can be purchased quite cheaply, on that well know auction site lol.

Fletching
16-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Have you ever tried using pig skin? It can be purchased quite cheaply, on that well know auction site lol.

No, mate, I haven't. I like working with the Scandi stuff but I'm not averse to trying something new (giggedy). Does it crisp up nice in the oven too?

Steve :)

Adam Savage
16-01-2012, 11:37 PM
LOL. mmmmm crackling....

No idea how it performs mate, haven't tried it yet, but I intend on giving it a go. Maybe even hard boil it, around molds, to make various items.

Silverback
17-01-2012, 10:15 AM
a semi permanent woodland bushcraft camping location :happy-clapping:

central covered fire pit, wood store, long drop and space for 8 with any luck....fingers crossed

Adam Savage
17-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Sounds fantastic. Look forward to the invite :rolleyes::innocent:

Ben Casey
17-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Sounds fantastic. Look forward to the invite :rolleyes::innocent:

Sounds very good can I come along to :please::innocent:

Silverback
17-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Sounds very good can I come along to :please::innocent:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2773-Potential-Bushcraft-site-Poll-of-interest

jus_young
16-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Been busy with the sewing machine today making a tarp and hammock from parachute ripstop. Now that I have shrunk pack size to a 46L the DD tarp and hammock look huge. Hopefully when finished the new tarp, hammock, webbing etc. will all pack down to a bag size smaller than that of the DD hammock alone and weigh about half as much as my current gear. Finish of tomorrow and get testing :)

Adam Savage
16-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Been busy with the sewing machine today making a tarp and hammock from parachute ripstop. Now that I have shrunk pack size to a 46L the DD tarp and hammock look huge. Hopefully when finished the new tarp, hammock, webbing etc. will all pack down to a bag size smaller than that of the DD hammock alone and weigh about half as much as my current gear. Finish of tomorrow and get testing :)

I just roll my hammock up in my sleep mat now, and strap it to the top of the pack. Being the travel hammock, it's got a waterproof base, and put with being rolled in a sleep mate, it stays nice and dry. I wouldn't want to drag it through a river though, that might be a bit much for it lol.

jus_young
17-03-2012, 09:10 AM
I used to have things strapped to the pack but I just seem to have this aversion (?) to large pack sizes now. I have had so many back problems since my bike crash 5/6 years ago, 8 discs in a bit of a mess, and now that things are starting to return to some normality I have caught a bit of a lightweight and minimalist bug. The hammock is ideal for me as I sleep better now but when I put the DD stuff in the new Osprey pack the space inside just disappeared! I always had the intention of putting together some lightweight tarps but this just went a step further with the hammock.

If it wasn't for the back I would still be happy carrying the 65L sherpa all nicely loaded up, tent strapped on the outside and none the wiser. When ground dwelling dictates the use of the banshee, this will still be strapped on the outside but at the moment I am rather enjoying the DIY lightweight evolution, not sure the good lady is though!

Adam Savage
17-03-2012, 12:08 PM
One of the guys that came to the last Dartmoor meet, had a fishing trolley to carry gear about, but I'm not sure how that would cope over long distances. Glad to hear your back is on the mend (as much as backs ever do that is). I don't blame you for wanting the ultra light option. It's about staying safe, just as much as having fun.

CanadianMike
17-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Leather belt for my step-dad, designing and making a kydex sheath (similar to a KABAR sheath) for a OD micarta Shaman knife I made for a client, a paduak handled skinning knife I need to shape the handle on, looking at removing the running boards from my 99 Toyota 4Runner so I can get to rust spots to sand and paint, as well as a couple holes to carve out and fiberglass up, then paint the below door area with thick asphalt wheelwell spray to prevent further chips....... may leave the running boards off and just put some mudflaps behind the front wheels. Past all that, I still have a large 'to-do' list I can pick and choose from as I feel like doing. Also need to go get propane to start BBQ season, going to 17C today and early to mid-20s days after, I love global warming!!! :)

Adam Savage
17-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Sounds like your busier than I am lol.
Global warming has got it's benefits. A few weeks ago, it was warmer here than Northern Africa for the time of year :shocked:

CanadianMike
17-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Wow!

Ya, I have a list of eight knives to work on (none for me!?!), plus other projects and things I NEED to do (truck work), but is good because I hate being bored........ :D

jus_young
17-03-2012, 09:11 PM
One of the guys that came to the last Dartmoor meet, had a fishing trolley to carry gear about, but I'm not sure how that would cope over long distances. Glad to hear your back is on the mend (as much as backs ever do that is). I don't blame you for wanting the ultra light option. It's about staying safe, just as much as having fun.

Strange you should say that, been out buying things today and one of the items was a trolley :D
This is aimed more towards the family poshcrafting as the dutch oven, skillet etc all come with us along with bigger tent, table, chairs, camp kitchen... I think you get the idea.

Adam Savage
22-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Early stages of the Pederson Wood Wasp :)

First Cad design...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/PedersonWoodWasp001.png

Second Cad design...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/PedersonWoodWasp002.png

A couple more tweaks to the second design, and we have the basic blank template :D

Bambii
22-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Not working on anything at the minute, but this weekend i'll be attempting to make a churchwarden style pipe and a knife for my dad.

Tony1948
23-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Working on another Laplander at the moment,could be for sale when finnished.

Primerib
23-03-2012, 06:06 PM
A friend accidently got the top part of my two piece spinning rod into the car door. The bottom end of the upper part was crushed. Now I sawed of the handle of the lower part and fixed the remaining tip into the handle. I also shortend the handle to make a very short travel-rod. I'm actually quite pleased with the result although the handle still has a couple bibs of glue which need to be sanded of! I actually looks a bit like a rod you would use for ice-fishing, just a bit longer! Would have broken my heart if I would have had to throw it all away.

GalaxyRider
23-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I have started work on my flysheet hammock. It's the first time I have attempted anything like this, so we will see what the weekend brings. I hope it will bring a well made Hennesy type double skin hammock, but I fear it will bring much swearing, a jammed sewing machine, some incorrectly cut webbing and the worlds first ground based hammock!

Tony1948
23-03-2012, 10:23 PM
We hope to see some pictures next weekT^

Roadkillphil
24-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Early stages of the Pederson Wood Wasp :)

First Cad design...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/PedersonWoodWasp001.png

Second Cad design...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/PedersonWoodWasp002.png

A couple more tweaks to the second design, and we have the basic blank template :D

Oooo Likey :D

jus_young
26-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Oooo Likey :D

There he goes again :D

Kernowek Scouser
26-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I've got several bushy ideas floating around my head at the moment. Most will probably just end up as hot air, but one 'project' that could genuinely be said to be in the planning stage is my attempt to make a light(ish) weight, fold up chair, ideally completed in time for the RV.

On one of my trawls through the web, I stumbled upon the Monarch Chair by Alite...
http://www.alitedesigns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/460x375/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/monarch_black_front_1.jpghttp://www.alitedesigns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/460x375/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/monarch_black_side_1.jpghttp://www.alitedesigns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/460x375/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/monarch_black_back_1.jpghttp://www.alitedesigns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/460x375/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/monarch_black_closed_1.jpg

... and thought to myself "That might be handy."

Then I saw the price and thought "Bugger that!"

After a little while, the creative part of my mind began to call for my attention and when it had it, it pointed out that this chair is essentially just six poles and a seat cover and with a little bit of time and effort, it was something someone could make themselves, even someone with rudimentary D.I.Y. skills like me.

So I found an old seat cover, dug out my spare waling poles and now all I have to do is to stop thinking about having a go at making a chair and just do it.

Will post my results when I either end up with a functional chair or return from the hospital having been impaled on an impractical one!

jus_young
26-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I've got several bushy ideas floating around my head at the moment. Most will probably just end up as hot air, but one 'project' that could genuinely be said to be in the planning stage is my attempt to make a light(ish) weight, fold up chair, ideally completed in time for the RV.

So I found an old seat cover, dug out my spare waling poles and now all I have to do is to stop thinking about having a go at making a chair and just do it.

Why not try one of these? You only need some material, like a tarp, and the rest you gather when you get there. You could even use your old seat cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=DsyObLoraPw&NR=1

Roadkillphil
27-03-2012, 02:54 AM
There he goes again :D

:) haha!! I'm gonna be sat next to The Forge wishing and wanting in a coupla weeks too....!

KaiTheIronHound
27-03-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm currently working on leather sheaths for 3 knives i've made as gifts for my fiance and her mother and sister. These are the knives:

This one is for my fiance. The steel comes from an old saw mill ciruclar saw blade.
This one is for my fiance's sister. The steel comes from an old bench saw blade.

I dont currently have a picture of the one i am working up for my fiance's mother, but i'll post it as soon as i get one!

Both knives have a distal taper and a convex grind, and the handle timbers are merbau, a pacific rim hardwood. The darker colour comes from cooking the timber in an oven before fixing.

I hope you like them!

Adam Savage
27-03-2012, 09:37 AM
:) haha!! I'm gonna be sat next to The Forge wishing and wanting in a coupla weeks too....!

You're looking forward to Dave Budd's stand too then lol

I'm currently working on leather sheaths for 3 knives i've made as gifts for my fiance and her mother and sister. These are the knives:

This one is for my fiance. The steel comes from an old saw mill ciruclar saw blade.
This one is for my fiance's sister. The steel comes from an old bench saw blade.

I dont currently have a picture of the one i am working up for my fiance's mother, but i'll post it as soon as i get one!

Both knives have a distal taper and a convex grind, and the handle timbers are merbau, a pacific rim hardwood. The darker colour comes from cooking the timber in an oven before fixing.

I hope you like them!

Looking great buddy. Looking forward to seeing the sheaths all done T^

Adam

Kernowek Scouser
27-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Why not try one of these? You only need some material, like a tarp, and the rest you gather when you get there. You could even use your old seat cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=DsyObLoraPw&NR=1

I think I've seen something like this before, where the rear 'leg' of the tripod was almost vertical and the two forward legs were on the diagonal, which gave the seat more depth to sit back and lounge in. Still a very cool and 'proper' bushy idea though, so thanks T^

Adam Savage
27-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I think I've seen something like this before, where the rear 'leg' of the tripod was almost vertical and the two forward legs were on the diagonal, which gave the seat more depth to sit back and lounge in. Still a very cool and 'proper' bushy idea though, so thanks T^

We were using one of these chairs at the weekend. The further out the rear leg is, the more reclined it is. You do need quite strong timbers for it, as there is a lot of pressure "hanging" from the top of the tripod.

Here's Paul giving it a go...

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w511/tonymullan/DartmoorBakeOff/DSCF3819.jpg

Kernowek Scouser
27-03-2012, 04:00 PM
We were using one of these chairs at the weekend. The further out the rear leg is, the more reclined it is. You do need quite strong timbers for it, as there is a lot of pressure "hanging" from the top of the tripod.

Here's Paul giving it a go...

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w511/tonymullan/DartmoorBakeOff/DSCF3819.jpg

It looks nice and comfy :D

Adam Savage
27-03-2012, 04:48 PM
It was lol. And Paul isn't the lightest bushcrafter we have either :)

jus_young
27-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Looks like Daves forge is going to be crowded again then :D

I always get forge fever whenever I am around him, the desire to have something added to the rather small but admired collection of Dave Budd tools! I'm hanckering for a small axe or tomahawk at the moment but the good lady will be with me and that usually keeps me in check.

Adam Savage
14-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Finally completed a burr walnut knife, for RoadkillPhil's friend Ffion, with matching firesteel. Decided to add a brass layer to the firesteel handle, just to set it off a little.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0506.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0507.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0509.jpg

The marks on the spine and blade, are tiny bits of dust, stuck to the light oiling. This 0-1 doesn't like the damp air too much lol

Kernowek Scouser
14-04-2012, 10:56 PM
That is a damn fine looking knife and fire steel T^

Adam Savage
14-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks buddy. Hope she likes it :)

jus_young
15-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Whats not to like?!! That is one lovely looking knife.

JEEP
15-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Work of art Adam!

Roadkillphil
15-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Finally completed a burr walnut knife, for RoadkillPhil's friend Ffion, with matching firesteel. Decided to add a brass layer to the firesteel handle, just to set it off a little.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0506.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0507.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0509.jpg

The marks on the spine and blade, are tiny bits of dust, stuck to the light oiling. This 0-1 doesn't like the damp air too much lol

Dude, seriously, she is gonna love it!!!

A fantastic piece of work as per :D

Adam Savage
15-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys. Jakob, you'll be pleased to know the steel should be landing Wednesday for yours :)

ssmithy
16-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Ohh that does look great, fantastic filework

Adam Savage
16-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks smithy. I personally preferred the filework on the knife I made for Phil, it looked more intricate I think.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0421.jpg

AL...
16-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Beautiful work

Cheers
AL

Roadkillphil
16-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks smithy. I personally preferred the filework on the knife I made for Phil, it looked more intricate I think.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0421.jpg

The file work on mine looks Klingon (which I like :) ) whereas I'd say Ffions looks more Romulan.... I'm no expert on interstellar art forms mind ;)

ssmithy
16-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I like them both very nice, i admire your skill and patients (spelt right?) never tried filework dont think i'd have the patients for it way back when i was an apprentice always hated bench fitting :) prob cause i was not good at it :)

Bambii
16-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Your bloody good at this knife making thing! They're too perfect... Are you human?

Roadkillphil
16-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Your bloody good at this knife making thing! They're too perfect... Are you human?

Romulan :p

Tony1948
16-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Found a bit of 01 carbon steel in the shed last week thought I'd make a uncle Ray clone.42134214

Adam Savage
16-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Beautiful work

Cheers
AL

Thanks AL :)

The file work on mine looks Klingon (which I like :) ) whereas I'd say Ffions looks more Romulan.... I'm no expert on interstellar art forms mind ;)

I think you may be right there, I think Jakob's will be more borg ;)

I like them both very nice, i admire your skill and patients (spelt right?) never tried filework dont think i'd have the patients for it way back when i was an apprentice always hated bench fitting :) prob cause i was not good at it :)

The filework isn't as tough as people think, it's just knowing which file, makes which shape, at which angle :)

Far too kind, as my knives are far from perfect lol

Romulan :p

I'm afraid that is on a strictly need to know basis :p

Found a bit of 01 carbon steel in the shed last week thought I'd make a uncle Ray clone.42134214

OOOOW, that's gunna look a beauty when it's dressed mate. Loving it already T^

Adam Savage
19-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Just finished forging a couple more pokers and a steel tripod for the dutch oven (which is currently in the oven, seasoning :)). They still need coating, but that shouldn't take too long with a blow lamp and some oil.

The starting pieces of steel...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0537.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0538.jpg

Some of the tools I use (the steel plate from the previous pic goes on top of my splitting block, to use as an anvil)...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0539.jpg

A simple portable vice (used for twists and holding the steel spike from above, as a make shift anvil horn)...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0540.jpg

And the finished products...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0541.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0542.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0543.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0544.jpg

The chain hasn't been cut to length yet either :)

Ben Casey
19-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Very very nice mate T^ if you make it so that you can add a chain that goes to three smaller chains then you could fit a grill or pan on to BBQ or Fry stuff :) Just a thought you have my order already LOL

AL...
19-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Looks great Thats gonna last a while Im a Thunkin!! :)

Cheers
AL

Adam Savage
19-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Ben and AL.

I was thinking of adding some pins that stuff out of the legs, so cross bars could be added, and I already have three chains and a grill, that I could shorted for this tripod :)
One of the chains from that set is what's on this now, hence being wrapped around the head to shorten the length :D

Adam Savage
20-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Here's the video of the tripod and poker forging, if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWM984YBqVo

AL...
20-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Cool Vid
Thanks for sharing

Cheers
AL

Adam Savage
20-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks AL. Have a few ideas for the next tripod, to make it a little more flexible :)

Skate
20-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Great work as ever Adam. Hope to be around to put that baby through it's paces some time.

Adam Savage
20-04-2012, 04:55 PM
It'll be coming with me on the 26th :). So you're more than welcome to throw a pot on it...or even just a kettle.
Cheers Al

Fletching
20-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Cool vid Adam.

Steve :)

Adam Savage
20-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks Steve. Will be trying to source a cheaper steel supplier, so I can sell them for a decent price. :)

jus_young
20-04-2012, 10:40 PM
This is our tripod made by my kids at the Cornwall RV over the last two years (click to enlarge)

The first part made last year was a standard tripod with hook and chain but this wasn't really versatile enough as there was not enough height to vary the heat using a dutch oven. I returned to the RV this year with plans in place to adapt it so set the kids to work on a second tripod but with a removable cross bar this time instead of a hook and chain. I had the hooks and chains ready and now this has become an extremely versatile setup. Multiple items can be hung at the same time or, in as in the photo, the grill plate can be hung with ease. The kettle can also be placed on the original tripod by the side of the fire to keep warm :)
As I do all the cooking when family camping I am now a very happy man and the best part is that my kids made it :D

Adam Savage
20-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Awesome setup (bi-bipod :)). I've seen the same idea as that on Ronnie Sunshines.
The reason I went with 5 ft lengths is to get enough room under for the dutchie, and might add some pins too the legs so I can add a cross member, from which to hang pots on S-hooks. I'm full of ideas at the minute, so it may end up totally different lol.

jus_young
20-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Thats the beauty of this kind of setup, there are so many possibilities and ways of acheiving it. I think ours will adapt over the next couple of years just because it can and it will give the kids something else to do at the RV. I will keep an eye out to see how yours works for future adaptations ;)

Adam Savage
20-04-2012, 11:33 PM
LOL, I'm sure it'll turn out looking like yours :rolleyes: