PDA

View Full Version : Boker plus knives: any experiences?

bigzee
30-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Chaps - I was wondering if any of you had any experience or ownership of knives made by Boker/Boker plus.

After perusing the interweb for a "nice" and reasonably priced all purpose fixed blade knife came across this German brand that seem to produce shedloads of product. Yes I know the Moras and the Hultafors tick most practical boxes for almost no beer-tokens, but I think the "elk-skinner" and the "gent's scalpel" (??!!!) by this company look....well......nice I suppose. But are they any good or is it eye-candy made out of monkey metal.

Anyone have any experience of 'em?.......anyone?.......anyone?.................. .

Adam Savage
30-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Did you see these on the Heinnie Haynes site by any chance?

this guy uses a Boker plus Trance in his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKP_YyTE5ME

Adam Savage
30-08-2011, 06:39 PM
sorry thought he mentioned it in more detail. I shall look for the video I was thinking of.

Adam Savage
30-08-2011, 06:43 PM
This video mentions the blade as being good, but finish on the rest of the item may be where they save the production cost. It may be that the fixed blade knives would have less finish issues, as they have no moving parts and generally fewer components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCH9czw07w

JEEP
30-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Böker is one of the classic Solingen brands, like Puma. But, just like Puma, Böker have quite a few different series - of varying quality. As a general (very general, as there are exeptions) rule, the more expensive German made knives are great - the cheaper Spanish and Asian made knives, not so much.
Sadly, many of the classic Solingen brands have, over the past 10-20 years, "degenerated" into selling cheap outsourced mass produced products. With only a few (or none) very expensive German manufactured knives available.

The same thing is happening to the French laguiole knives and many of the classic American brands. I guess one day, this will happen to the Scandinavian brands aswell.

Notredame11211
30-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I guess one day, this will happen to the Scandinavian brands as well.:sad:

bigzee
30-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Böker is one of the classic Solingen brands, like Puma. But, just like Puma, Böker have quite a few different series - of varying quality. As a general (very general, as there are exeptions) rule, the more expensive German made knives are great - the cheaper Spanish and Asian made knives, not so much.
Sadly, many of the classic Solingen brands have, over the past 10-20 years, "degenerated" into selling cheap outsourced mass produced products. With only a few (or none) very expensive German manufactured knives available.

The same thing is happening to the French laguiole knives and many of the classic American brands. I guess one day, this will happen to the Scandinavian brands aswell.
I see. So I guess it falls to the repressed Chinese workers to provide privileged westerners the cheaper products that skinflints like me are asking for! I'm glad you mentioned Spanish knives there, 'cos I saw some on the web that attracted me with price and appearance. Appreciate the expert info. Thanks mr P.

bigzee
30-08-2011, 08:50 PM
This video mentions the blade as being good, but finish on the rest of the item may be where they save the production cost. It may be that the fixed blade knives would have less finish issues, as they have no moving parts and generally fewer components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCH9czw07w
Yeah I saw this vid on the list on YT earlier, but didn't watch as, like you say, it's clearly a fiddly model with all manner of potential complications (like new cars!) I was attracted by the price and simple clean appearance of some of the more basic sheath knives they make. I know you usually get what you pay for in this life, but I can't justify spending a weekly food budget on a knife I'm going to use occassionally, and only offers asthetic and comfort improvements over my Victorinox.

Dan XF
31-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I have a little boker plus Dozier Skinner for a few years. It is full tang with an olive wood handle and an AUS8 blade. I've used it for chopping meat and veg in the field and at home. I've batonned maya wood from a stump with it and found it holds an edge. I believe it's Taiwanese in origin but that doesn't bother me. Mine is the 75mm version but Heinnie and moonraker do the 90mm version with the micarta scales. They are small enough to not get you in to trouble out in the woods but large enough to be of some use. Mine is now kept in a little grab bag for those last minute oops moments.

JEEP
31-08-2011, 08:22 PM
:sad:

It has actually already started, the last surviving classic Danish production knives; the Vangedal scout knives, are now produced in Spain. They used to be high quality and fairly priced - now, sadly, they are neither.
When I compare mine, which I got for christmas when I was 10 years old, to the new ones we sell at the store - I become rather sad.

jus_young
31-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Don't think that Trance is UK carry legal as it has a locking blade...

bigzee
31-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Is it illegal to carry a locking blade? If so I've been breaking the law for the last few years, 'cos I always have a 3.5" locking blade SA on me when I leave the house. I'm going to hand myself in at Sleaford nick then tomorrow, so you might not hear from me for a few months.

Adam Savage
04-09-2011, 07:11 PM

The boker trance is available as a frame lock and a slip joint lock. The latter being legal for some reason. Weird...

jus_young
04-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Never heard of a slip joint lock. will have to look into this one,

jus_young
04-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Is it illegal to carry a locking blade? If so I've been breaking the law for the last few years, 'cos I always have a 3.5" locking blade SA on me when I leave the house. I'm going to hand myself in at Sleaford nick then tomorrow, so you might not hear from me for a few months.

Any blade that locks in the open position is considered a fixed blade and therefore not a legal carry without good reason.

jus_young
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Had a look at this slip joint lock and I think everyone has seen it before, I just didn't know what it was called. Tension holds the blade in place but can be overcome with a little pressure, think swiss army knife.

Adam Savage
04-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Had a look at this slip joint lock and I think everyone has seen it before, I just didn't know what it was called. Tension holds the blade in place but can be overcome with a little pressure, think swiss army knife.

I was lead to believe it wouldn't close when your hand was gripping it, or at least on the boker trance. Will have to look into it again myself now lol.

Adam Savage
04-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry about that. The part that makes it slightly safer on the Boker is the finger guard. When your finger is behind it, it won't close (well, without crushing your finger anyway).

bigzee
05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Any blade that locks in the open position is considered a fixed blade and therefore not a legal carry without good reason.
"Without good reason" - now there's a big grey area with differing conseqences, depending on the location, situation, reason given and officer attending.