PDA

View Full Version : Wet Weather Fire Lighting

Adam Savage
28-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Today I went out to one of my locals, that is being worked (clearing trees), for a spot of wet weather fire lighting. The only thing I used to light the fire, that I didn't find in the wood itself, was a Web-Tex steel of fire. The tinder, kindling and fuel, all came from the surroundings. The firesteel let me don't a little, by coming free of it's holder, but I persevered and managed success. I will be making a bow drill video in the future and probably a wet weather bow drill video too.

It's a pretty long video, as it's from start to finish. Collecting the materials, lighting the fire, then clearing the fire site to leave no trace.

Hope you find it useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOkz7hIT9xo

swkieran
28-08-2011, 10:28 PM
top video adam,very clear and precise :),i enjoyed watching and learning,wat is youre regional dialect m8 im guessin east anglia, norfolk or suffolk

Adam Savage
28-08-2011, 10:34 PM
East midlands buddy. Born and raise in south northants. One of the last born in the Brackley cottage hospital. :)

Thanks for taking the time to watch it mate. Glad you found it enjoyable.

Adam

swkieran
28-08-2011, 10:41 PM
youre welcome adam,and it isint dis similar to a east anglian accent,more that way than say a midlands accent. i know of like leicster or coventry,dialects in britain facinate me lol

Adam Savage
28-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Were I live is right on the edge of oxfordshire and northamptonshire, so between east midlands and west midlands, which falls under mercian dialect (well, around the 10th century anyway lol), but it is more similar to the eastern regions, then the western or northern. Some folk round here talk with more of a berkshire accent (mainly toward oxford), so I guess we're just a mixed up bunch, from all over the shop. haha

bigzee
29-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Were I live is right on the edge of oxfordshire and northamptonshire, so between east midlands and west midlands, which falls under mercian dialect (well, around the 10th century anyway lol), but it is more similar to the eastern regions, then the western or northern. Some folk round here talk with more of a berkshire accent (mainly toward oxford), so I guess we're just a mixed up bunch, from all over the shop. haha
We're all Pictish/Romano/Danish/French underneath anyway in England. And that includes the right-wing bigots who "want to preserve the purity of our bloodline". Hah! - grow up and try reading a book, I say to them.

It is fascinating though how you can drive a few miles in this country and everyone's speaking quite differently. Just one of the many wonders of this beautiful country!

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 11:09 AM
We're all Pictish/Romano/Danish/French underneath anyway in England. And that includes the right-wing bigots who "want to preserve the purity of our bloodline". Hah! - grow up and try reading a book, I say to them.

It is fascinating though how you can drive a few miles in this country and everyone's speaking quite differently. Just one of the many wonders of this beautiful country!

I totally agree. The nearest folk to "native" Britains, are the Cornish, far west Wales and eastern Ireland. As the invaders moved across the country, pushing them further west, and further south in places.

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Nearest image I could find to illustrate it, sorry...

http://www.bonzer.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/anglo-saxon_map.jpg

swkieran
29-08-2011, 11:16 AM
It is fascinating though how you can drive a few miles in this country and everyone's speaking quite differently. Just one of the many wonders of this beautiful country![/QUOTE]

yep it's always facinated me bigzee,ever since i was a kid,i wonder if its from a time (celtic),when we were all seperated in different celtic kingdoms and tribes,i could be wrong but it's nice to think so :)

swkieran
29-08-2011, 11:30 AM
also in britain new immagrants soon become british but keep the remnants of their past culture aswell,it all lives side by side,take the recent wave of immagrants like the polish etc in a generation there children wont be any different to any one else who's been here since the year dot.apart from the surnames which give peoples cultural background away,

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 11:50 AM
True. I don't mind people moving into this country, no matter where they are from, what their background, etc, but It's starting to over populate our tiny little country now. The economy is suffering, health care is suffering (even more than usual), education is suffering. It's all bad news. I think I'll move to the woods permanently lol :)

swkieran
29-08-2011, 12:04 PM
you wont be alone adam lol.

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 12:06 PM
you wont be alone adam lol.

Maybe we could get a load of brits to emigrate, to free up some space too lol

bigzee
29-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe we could get a load of brits to emigrate, to free up some space too lol
I expect there's a few families moving to "OZ", pensioners moving to Provence, and err.."businessmen" moving to Marbella every year. Not to mention all the healthcare professionals etc. working abroad (to earn real money). It would be interesting to see how the last two censuses compare in terms of population total and folk in and out during the last few years.

Martin
29-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Net migration in 2010 was 239,000 and in 2009 it was 198,000. Lots more people arriving than leaving I'm afraid. Considering how much people moan about this country, there must be something going for it for so many people to want to settle here.

Martin

Silverback
29-08-2011, 06:30 PM

yep it's always facinated me bigzee,ever since i was a kid,i wonder if its from a time (celtic),when we were all seperated in different celtic kingdoms and tribes,i could be wrong but it's nice to think so :)

In British Sign Language there are regional nuances and 'accents'. I learned to sign before i could talk according to my parents who are both profoundly deaf. Mind you the PC brigade even interfered there and invented 'Sign Supported English' which is basically sterilising the natural flow of BSL and making it a grammatically correct version.

Latest figures suggest 1 in 6 of the UK population is Deaf or Hard of Hearing, a staggering amount compared to the other languages spoken in UK - but still intepreter services for the deaf have been cut!!

Allegedly 92% of all communication is non verbal and we know many first nations used signs long before the spoken word (and many still do).

Silverback
29-08-2011, 06:35 PM
cracking vid by the way Adam

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 07:10 PM
cracking vid by the way Adam

Thanks mate. Did you notice the poncho roll hanging from my little pack? lol.

And we were taught about that "92% communication, being non verbal" during the Door supervisors course. Only 5% being verbal, makes you wonder what the other 3% is lol.

Silverback
29-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Aah......Maybo Conflict resolution and no mate i didnt

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 09:23 PM
That's the one, Conflict management and physical intervention skills. lol

Silverback
29-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a SIA AT Number..static and patrol guarding and retail...no licence anymore though

Adam Savage
29-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I have SIA door supervision and CCTV operator, which covers static and patrol guarding as part of the course. Haven't renewed the license though, not in security any more lol.

Silverback
29-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I have SIA door supervision and CCTV operator, which covers static and patrol guarding as part of the course. Haven't renewed the license though, not in security any more lol.

Neither am I quit in 2004. I was a trainer hence the AT number, previous to that I was an Ops Manager

anyway back on topic

Nice vid ;-)

Adam Savage
30-08-2011, 10:58 AM
lol that's again :)

markal17
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
great vid that should show every newbie how to leave a fire thanks for takeing the time to make it

Adam Savage
11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks mate.