PDA

View Full Version : Rehandled Mora 740

Woodwose
25-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Rehandled Mora 740. Spalted beech handle, coated with Danish oil and Carnauba crème for a flattish finish.

Veg tan leather sheath sewn with synthetic sinew. Dyed with a mix of Buckskin and light brown dyes. Finally a finish of Carnauba crème.
All sitting on top of a piece of warped oak which will be made into a couple of stools sometime soon-ish (probably, maybe.)

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv260/poggle_photies/P1000442.jpg

paul standley
25-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Looks good, I was thinking of re-handling my Mora clipper (and making a leather sheath) but as it's only got a short narrow tang i'm not sure it will work - anyone got any advice ?...

Paul

Notredame11211
25-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Looks good, I was thinking of re-handling my Mora clipper (and making a leather sheath) but as it's only got a short narrow tang i'm not sure it will work - anyone got any advice ?...

Paul

You should talk to CanadianMike, he can probably help you out

Tony1948
26-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi Paul sorry I mist you at the Gathering,next time,I'v rehandle a clipper there's a photo on ear some where,first burn the old handle off then get a bit of milde steel as big as you want handle and about 1/2 in bigger then the blade,you wont it the same thickness as the Mora .Lay blade onto your steel from where the Mora handle was, leve about a 1/4 in both sides of blade and sgribe around the Mora and then file out were the blade was so the blade fits flush.I then got a mate to weld the two together then shape it to the sort of handle I wanted.I used copper spacers and wooden handles with brass pins.Rememmber were the Mora blade is so you dont drill throw the wood and hit the blade it's to hard for a drill to go throw.If you go onto my profile I think there is a photo of my one.Atb.......DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS...............TONY

Tony1948
26-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Woodwose you'r Mora looks the bizz.My one in my profile in Groups click on to southeast naturalbushcraft

JEEP
26-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Very nicely done :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Yet another great thread I have missed. Great looking Mora Woodwose. Have been toying with the idea of a rehandle for a while, but need another Mora to use (I use the one I have to make Kydex sheaths for people). Did you just bond the tang into the beech? Was thinking of heating the tang, drilling it, and putting a small pin through it. What do you think?

LandRoverMatt
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Want to buy another clipper to do up.

Realearner
10-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Great looking job, love the simple look of the handle.
Hope to be posting my efforts soon, not as nice as yours so back to the man cave and more sanding :D

Woodwose
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Yet another great thread I have missed. Great looking Mora Woodwose. Have been toying with the idea of a rehandle for a while, but need another Mora to use (I use the one I have to make Kydex sheaths for people). Did you just bond the tang into the beech? Was thinking of heating the tang, drilling it, and putting a small pin through it. What do you think?

Thanks for the kind words chaps. If I remember rightly the blade has a short tang. I drilled the center of the wood with a small drill bit. I then joined up the holes with a small file, then a bit more filing till the tang slotted in to the right position. What you can't really see from the photo is that I used a piece of resin called tiger eye that you cut from a roll . This was drilled out and filed and it sits at the front of the handle. It polishes up a treat. This hides the shoddy workmanship of the hole drilling. The tang was glued in using Gorilla Glue. This stuff expands filling in any gaps. Only a small amount is required, You pour some water into the handle then drain it out, the glue then reacts with the water and hardens.
The heating, drilling, pin method is something I've never tried so I can't advise you on that, (just what you wanted to hear eh!!! :))

Adam Savage
10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks mate. The heating the tang is only to soften the steel, making drilling easier, so not the most essential part of questions lol. Your answer more than covers it buddy. I never thought of using gorilla glue. Also I'm intrigued with this tiger eye resin. I was planning on using a resin called super steel, which bonds very, very well to metal and wood (it's what I normally use to bond handles to full tang blades).
Time to order another mora methinks :)

Thanks again W, for the info.

Adam

Adam Savage
10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I believe this is the clipper tang...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/rapidboy1/knives/430_3008_1.jpg

jus_young
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
You just couldn't resist pulling one appart could you :D

Ben Casey
10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I believe this is the clipper tang...

Thanks for pulling it apart mate I was sat here last night looking at knives but could decide what I wanted :( I'm really picky I suppose but you helped me make my mind up on one LOL

CanadianMike
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I used to use epoxy to glue my handles on, until I tried Gorilla glue, and it's all I use now, it secures everything.......... except the break in my Brit army golok.... :(

Adam Savage
10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
You just couldn't resist pulling one appart could you :D

Thanks for pulling it apart mate I was sat here last night looking at knives but could decide what I wanted :( I'm really picky I suppose but you helped me make my mind up on one LOL

Sadly I didn't pull this one apart. This is the work of some other maniac :p

I used to use epoxy to glue my handles on, until I tried Gorilla glue, and it's all I use now, it secures everything.......... except the break in my Brit army golok.... :(

Looks like another item on the shopping list then lol. Have you considered getting your golok welded, ground and then re-hardened and tempered?

CanadianMike
10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I did consider that, you wouldn't believe the rivets they used though, is almost like a 4mm thick steel bar hammered down on two brass washers...... :S

Adam Savage
10-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I did consider that, you wouldn't believe the rivets they used though, is almost like a 4mm thick steel bar hammered down on two brass washers...... :S

Sounds about right for Brit army circa 1990-95 :)

CanadianMike
10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Yup, 1993 for mine.

Adam Savage
10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
They were built in a hurry, on mass, but 95% of them were never needed

Ben Casey
10-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I left in 93 and only ever seen them as a civvy :)

Woodwose
11-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks mate. The heating the tang is only to soften the steel, making drilling easier, so not the most essential part of questions lol. Your answer more than covers it buddy. I never thought of using gorilla glue. Also I'm intrigued with this tiger eye resin. I was planning on using a resin called super steel, which bonds very, very well to metal and wood (it's what I normally use to bond handles to full tang blades).
Time to order another mora methinks :)

Thanks again W, for the info.

Adam

The tiger eye resin is meant to resemble tiger eye a semi precious stone. You can use it as a bolster or anywhere else in the handle. It is a small solid round roll.
I can post you some if you want. PM me your address and I'll send it down.

CanadianMike
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Hasn't been much of a need for a large jungle knife with the Brits (or anyone really) in the past 20 years, unless it had a sand or rock bashing attactment.......

jus_young
11-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I tried searching tiger eye resin and all I could find was jewellry!

Woodwose
14-11-2011, 11:31 AM
I tried searching tiger eye resin and all I could find was jewellry!

Stick makers use it sometimes in the joint between handle and stick.

I bought my piece from John Boddy's timber merchants in Boroughbridge, Yorkshire.
They have a small shop, selling allsorts of woodcraft products. Also a warehouse of different species of timber for use in woodcrafts. If you are ever passing it's worth a visit.