PDA

View Full Version : Maps

lee1962
23-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Hello I've just registered with the forum and am surprised to see that no-one has been discussing maps. I use Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 Explorer Maps when I go hiking - they're okay, sometimes they don't mark stepping stones across rivers which can be annoying...but the worst problem I have with them is folding them in the correct configuration for my map case. Anyone else got any thoughts on the subject of OS maps?

While I'm here I might as well post a link to my Peak District hiking blog; there are now over thirty walks featured - all done by using public transport from Sheffield.

http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Silverback
23-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Lee and a very warm welcome to NB from just up north from you.

The easiest way I have found is to ditch the map case and buy laminated ones - bit more expensive but last longer. My current copy of OL 1 is incredibly well thumbed and only just delaminating. Its been out in all weathers (usually the worst kind) and has even been used as a sitmat....It is time for a replacement though after 10 years. Not bad for about 12 quid i think.

Failing that I use heavy duty plastic bags very much like the type butchers, chefs and the like use for vac packing food to put paper maps in. I have to admit too that i also rely a lot on local knowledge particularly in my home patch up here in the Dark Peak

swkieran
23-08-2011, 08:50 PM
ask martin lee,he is up on this kinda thing,hes the guy that sprang to mind and i would ask if i wanted info on maps :)

Terry
23-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting, and i enjoyed your peakwalking blog. Brought back some very pleasant memories of my walking that area .

Martin
23-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I've used 1:25000 maps for years, really since they became easily available for the national parks. I thought they were a massive improvement on the 1:50000.

However, I have recently been converted back to the 1:50000 maps. Why is this? Well, firstly you are spot on when you mention the problem of folding the map. It's relatively easy to fold the map to fit the map case but the scale is so large that you have to keep taking the map in and out of the case to see where you are going. Secondly, I no longer bother with the full map when I'm walking; by using 1:50000 scale maps, I can take colour copies of the section of map I'm walking on and then laminate them so that they are waterproof. These A4 map sections are perfect for using on the trail and mean I don't need to carry a bulky map case. Finally, the 1:50000 scale map has more than enough detail to use on the trail with some very fine detail included if you study the map carefully. I must admit that I find the omission of field boundaries a nuisance at times but good navigation will overcome that most of the time.

The 1:25000 maps are great for route planning and you can find your river crossings on them, and transfer the grid reference onto your route card them aim off when using the 1:50000 map in the field.

Oh, and the other benefit to using 1:50000 maps is that they work out a lot cheaper than buying the larger scale versions.

After all that, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. There are a few walkers on here and you'll fit in just fine. :)

Martin

Martin
23-08-2011, 08:55 PM
ask martin lee,he is up on this kinda thing,hes the guy that sprang to mind and i would ask if i wanted info on maps :)

In fairness Kieran, Sapper has far more hill walking experience than I do. Walking the Peak District is a lot more challenging than a stroll over Dartmoor in my opinon but I do like to try my hand. ;)

Martin

Silverback
23-08-2011, 09:07 PM
In fairness Kieran, Sapper has far more hill walking experience than I do. Walking the Peak District is a lot more challenging than a stroll over Dartmoor in my opinon but I do like to try my hand. ;)

Martin

Thanks for the credit Martin....Dartmoor can be a real grind too, and like Dartmoor they underestimate Bleaklow and Kinder and find themselves needing the services of the rescue teams.

I have lots of fell running friends and colleagues who like the Harveys superwalker maps. I have one for our area that was 'issued' to me and i find it useful, but always default to 1:25000. I also end up using 1:10000 on certain occasions.

I also have an 'issued' Satmap unit .............but technology is another issue:D

Martin
23-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I have lots of fell running friends and colleagues who like the Harveys superwalker maps...

Harvey's maps are 1:40000 scale aren't they?

Martin

Silverback
23-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Harvey's maps are 1:40000 scale aren't they?

Martin

Yup, they are. I generally end up putting mine away and getting out old OS 1:25000. I'm just more comfortable using that scale its sort of a default setting if you like.

stig
24-08-2011, 07:14 AM
When in UK I used memory maps, printed off A4 size then kept in plastic folders (also had mm on a pda with me). Beauty with printing off pc is you can decide on your own size/detail requirements.

Humakt
24-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Yup, I use the OS 1/25000 maps as well.
Rather than lugging the whole map around with me I photocopy the section I need and put that in my map case. It's less bulky and means you don't have to keep folding/refolding the map when you use it and wear it out.

Oh, and before some do-gooder decides to mention it, always ensure you stay within OS guidelines on how much you can photocopy and for what purposes blah blah blah (not that I've ever met anyone from the OS whilst out and about to check...)

comeonbabylightmyfire
25-08-2011, 05:10 PM
This is a really informative thread. I was thinking of subscribing to the OS online service, the details of which I'm about hazy about, but I recall that it allowed you to print out certain sections of OS maps for a fee thereby overcoming the need to buy a cumbersome map for areas I'm only visiting briefly. Has anyone here had any experience?

Martin
25-08-2011, 05:37 PM
This is a really informative thread. I was thinking of subscribing to the OS online service, the details of which I'm about hazy about, but I recall that it allowed you to print out certain sections of OS maps for a fee thereby overcoming the need to buy a cumbersome map for areas I'm only visiting briefly. Has anyone here had any experience?

I haven't any experience of the OS online service but I did subscribe to the Mapyx Quo site. I downloaded a few tiles on there but found it quite expensive and not quite the same as acutally having the map. I must admit, I also have Memory Map, which allows me to plan routes and print out all sorts of map sections. Memory Map is very expensive but it is really really good.

Martin

bigzee
25-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Ooh I do like a nice map! Sat-navs?...PAH! I'm the saddo that carefully updates all the new roads with coloured pens. As for walking with outdoor leisure/explorer maps - how about wearing combat trousers and slipping the folded map in the leg pocket, to snatch out easily when required. Saves the sandwich-board scenario of a map case.

Martin
25-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, I have a gps too. There, I've said it. ;)

I love to use it to track my route and download when I get home then analyse where I've been against my route plan. I also find it great to give me a check against my position on the map.

I love map and compass, and never go out without them, but also compliment their use with my GPS.

Martin

Silverback
26-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Well, I have a gps too. There, I've said it. ;)

I love to use it to track my route and download when I get home then analyse where I've been against my route plan. I also find it great to give me a check against my position on the map.

I love map and compass, and never go out without them, but also compliment their use with my GPS.

Martin

I have a fancy sat map unit and i get mapyx quo free !! yup FOC - I get it because It helps me and others do what our other jobs need and require also theres nothing happier than a PoLSA with 100% POD.

Otherwise i will always use map and compass, pacings, and vertical interval, aspect of slope, aiming off and attack points. Sat nav , GPS et al are AIDS to nav and not a substitute for paper maps and a compass.

Martin
26-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I have a fancy sat map unit and i get mapyx quo free !! yup FOC - I get it because It helps me and others do what our other jobs need and require also theres nothing happier than a PoLSA with 100% POD.

Otherwise i will always use map and compass, pacings, and vertical interval, aspect of slope, aiming off and attack points. Sat nav , GPS et al are AIDS to nav and not a substitute for paper maps and a compass.

I have the most basic Garmin Etrex that only gives a grid ref, and agree with exactly what you say. I can, and do, navigate using only map and compass, using all the techniques that you mention. I can also run using the same techniques and can use both walking and running paces to determine my position on a bearing. Like you said Sapper, GPS is not a substitute for paper maps and compass, I would never go out without them, but it can add another dimension which for me adds to my enjoyment.

Martin

Silverback
26-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I wasnt commenting on your use of GPS Martin, i was using your quote to highlight the use of GPS and the important last line of yours that you never go out without map and compass.

You would be amazed (or maybe not) at the amount of people that venture into mountainous and wild country that think a GPS will show them the way and is infallible - the latest one is getting lost using mobile phone app mapping there have been several rescues recently that involve the use of mobile phone mapping and even sat navs in mountainous areas.

Martin
26-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I wasnt commenting on your use of GPS Martin, i was using your quote to highlight the use of GPS and the important last line of yours that you never go out without map and compass.

You would be amazed (or maybe not) at the amount of people that venture into mountainous and wild country that think a GPS will show them the way and is infallible - the latest one is getting lost using mobile phone app mapping there have been several rescues recently that involve the use of mobile phone mapping and even sat navs in mountainous areas.

Don't worry mate, I wasn't concerned that you were questioning my use of GPS ;). I agree with you entirely. On our recent four peaks challenge, we encountered all sorts of people who were singularly unprepared for the terrain. In fact, before we even started, we came across a couple of blokes on Tryfan who said that they never had a map and that they were following us!!! The scary part is that we had taken a wrong turn and were on our way back down the mountain before we could recommence our ascent.

Martin

Realearner
26-08-2011, 09:56 PM
What a great thread, not been out to much myself just yet, but I like the idea of the photocopy and laminate the bit you need.
That is the thing with this site it just gets better, and info is so practical. Thanks to all

andy202wr
27-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the forum great blog site.