PDA

View Full Version : Hammock webbing

Lee
21-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Hya guys..

So I'm new to this forum..thanks for letting me on!. I'm English and currently living in Japan...and we have a lot of pine trees here, perfect for hammocking :campfire::camping:. Due to reviews here I got my hands on some lovely DD travel hammocks which work a treat :happy-clapping:...often though the length of webbing supplied (3m?) doesn't seem long enough for the width of some trees :confused2:....after you caribiner mod yours which length of webbing do you guys think is best?? I was thinking about 5m?

Cheers

Lee
p.s. apologies for putting this in the wrong forum..just realised but can't delete it seems

Martin
21-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Lee, welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum.

I have the DD Travel Hammock and did the karibiner mod, then just contiued to use the remainder for my other webbing. I guess the solution is, to make sure you only use thinner trees. Alternatively, you could go the whole hog and ditch the webbing altogether and opt for the whoopie sling method. To be honest, that's all japanese to me but have search around and you should be able to translate it. Matt and, I believe, Mike Wilkinson are both devoted hammock modders. :)

Martin

LandRoverMatt
22-08-2011, 09:41 PM
yh i find that the travel has shortage of webbing as the dd camping has like 5m and loads spare

andy202wr
22-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I use parra cord, make it fit to any size of tree. In my kit I have two 15M lengths and two 5 M lengths and six 4M lengths for stretching out the tarp into an apex.

My son John getting to work.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/andy202wr/outdoor%20sport/bushcraft/DSCF2891.jpg

Lee
23-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Hey guys..thanks for the kind replies :)

Martin..never heard of the whoopie sling but I'll check it out..cheers!

andy202wr...very interesting...I would have thought paracord was maybe too thin for the hammock and damaged the trees/slipped?...can you give any more info on the size/type you use and whether it starts fraying etc. Possibly for me that would be a great answer..

Many thanks

Lee

Matt
23-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Martin..never heard of the whoopie sling but I'll check it out..cheers!

Hey Lee,

check out this link, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/? and you'll never be the same again :evilgrin: :).

Please fire away with any questions you might have.

Regards,

Matt.

MikeWilkinson
23-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi Lee,

Check out some of the info in these links as well.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?100-How-do-you-hang
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1673-safe-working-load-of-hammocks&p=20922#post20922

And also check out hammock forums as Matt suggests.

Personally stay away from paracord, as it a) is designed to have a little stretch and b) unless your a light weight and you hang your hammock loose it is likley to snap at some point.

Make a set of tree huggers from 1 inch or greater polypro webbing or old car seatbelts, and then rig up some static climbing cord or dyneema as your suspension system.
There is loads in the links above to give you some ideas.

Mike

Ashley Cawley
30-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Good recommendations from Matt & Mike.

I always find I have plenty of webbing on my DD Travel Hammock, not sure what length I've got on there exactly. When you cut your webbing for the krab-mod you did cut it from 1 end of the webbing didn't you?

:welcome: to the forum Lee!

sgt mad
19-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Ive not done the krab mod yet but am glad you said to cut from one end of the webbing (makes sence now) as im about to. Ive also got a Hennesey hammock with tree huggers I made acouple out of old seat belts for my DD these would give you the extra length you need

Good recommendations from Matt & Mike.

I always find I have plenty of webbing on my DD Travel Hammock, not sure what length I've got on there exactly. When you cut your webbing for the krab-mod you did cut it from 1 end of the webbing didn't you?

:welcome: to the forum Lee!

garethw
19-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi there
DD are now doing whoopie slings for £12.50 and selling Amsteel by the metre so you could make them yourself... far better option than their webbing...
You can make a couple of tree straps easily out of climbing webbing, that is flatter and less stretchy than theirs...
cheers
Gareth

sgt mad
20-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks I`ll look into them