PDA

View Full Version : A year alone scenario

Howling Dingo
22-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Okay here is the scenario.....You have by some twist of fate are to be left by yourself in a remote woodland wilderness for one year.Away for all human contact no T.V radio or phone no i-pods.Okay you have small hut for shelter a good axe and knife and firesteel.There is some tins of food a small well for water and a hunting rifle.You have all the essential kit you want.You more than good chance of surviving one year alone.But before you go away for the year alone you are told you can take just one luxury item.What nonessential thing would you take with you and why??????

Hathor
23-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Putting aside comments like a mobile phone to order pizza, I don't reckon I could durvive for long with that kit. I would want a box of seeds to grow food from.

As for a genuine luxury item, I would take a small, wind up radio. It might go some way to alleviating the psychological issues of isolation and loneliness associated with a year alone.

Jon

MikeWilkinson
23-11-2010, 09:08 AM
A photograph of my family, to keep my mind focussed on getting through the year and getting back to them.

Martin
23-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Cracking question!!! :)

My luxury item would have to be a decent sleeping bag on the basis that if you have a good night's sleep, then everything seems more positive the next day. There's nothing worse than being constantly cold and tired.

Martin

fatsnacka
27-11-2010, 08:00 PM
the wife i need someone for the cooking :)

fatsnacka
27-11-2010, 08:04 PM
to be honest i would have to take salt and pepper ,curry powder and spices you would get fed up of bland food i think

Bambii
27-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I would take my dog, because i get on well with her and never get annoyed or angry. She means the world to me and she would be the thing i'd miss most. Also shes not human so i can take her.

paul standley
27-11-2010, 08:33 PM
OMG... would have to be my canderel tabs ;)

JonnyP
27-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I think I would choose to take a radio too.. I love my radio..

Howard
29-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm in for seeds too. But not necessary for growing food! :P

resnikov
29-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Solar powered / Wind-up mp3 player. With a mixture of music and spoken word on.
Music can really help your mood I find.

Matt
29-11-2010, 06:41 PM
It would have to be the company of our lord Ray for a twelve month, four season, one to one tutorial.

Matt.

sleeping bags
30-11-2010, 07:01 AM
1 luxury item, mmm, home brew kit, as for why, self explanatory really i think :)

Ashley Cawley
30-11-2010, 04:52 PM
...As for a genuine luxury item, I would take a small, wind up radio. It might go some way to alleviating the psychological issues of isolation and loneliness associated with a year alone.

Jon
Yeah, I think that amount of isolation, not seeing a sole might play worst on the human-psyche than most might realise. Some people/personalities might deal with it better than others, but I'm sure it's one of those things that you won't truly know until you've actually been on your own for a long time. We're very social beasts.

...My luxury item would have to be a decent sleeping bag on the basis that if you have a good night's sleep, then everything seems more positive the next day. There's nothing worse than being constantly cold and tired..

I'm with you there Martin, not sure if it is my item yet but it would certainly be on my shortlist!

I would take my dog, because i get on well with her and never get annoyed or angry. She means the world to me and she would be the thing i'd miss most...
She'll help if you get hungry too :p I'm only joking! :rolleye:

to be honest i would have to take salt and pepper ,curry powder and spices you would get fed up of bland food i think
That's at least 4 items you listed! - Your as bad as that lot I went camping with on Dartmoor :p lol

Martin
30-11-2010, 07:14 PM
It would have to be the company of our lord Ray for a twelve month, four season, one to one tutorial.

Matt.

Not sure you'd have a snooker table though Matt. And, I'd probably go for Steve Davis rather than Ray Reardon :(

Martin

Bernie
30-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Where does it say you can't take a human? I would take my wife for the company. As Maslow's hierarchy of needs [1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs) explains, once physiological needs and safety are satisfied, we will aspire to friendship and intimacy.

If it couldn't be a human, it would have to be a loyal and affectionate animal, like a good dog. I guess the friendship with an animal would have to do - no animal intimacy please. :shocked:

I for one would welcome the chance to live without phones and TV and computers. Ironic since I program computers for a living and I actually really enjoy it.

Comptona
18-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I think i would take ammunition for the hunting rifle its not much use without.

GaryBeaner
27-12-2010, 11:04 PM
If i'm not allowed a radio etc... I'd have to say Books. For 12 months I'd only need a few good books so i can read em again (memory problems). And a guitar so i could play loudly at last without the missus telling me off!

phil41181
30-12-2010, 05:34 PM
would need to be ma mp3.

fish
30-12-2010, 06:27 PM
tis a difficult one,just one item is a hard thing,maybe a spoon carving knife,my bible,tub of curry powder as stated would help the diet,a fishing kit sure would be handy too,boy this is a tough one! i guess entertainment, hope and a sense of not being alone would be an important thing so i guess my bible would be the 1 item i would take. i would love to be put in this position!

Aaron Rushton
31-12-2010, 12:44 PM
i think either ammunition for the hunting rifle, or a dog like a lurcher. the only use the rifle would have without ammo is to club the rabbits to death :P. maybe a fishing rod and kit. or maybe a shotgun for fowl and small mammals as these are far mor versatile than a .243 or something similar. i dont know really.

fish
31-12-2010, 02:29 PM
the rifle would bag big game which means less time needed hunting and more time to get on with stuff like fire wood for the winter.

Aaron Rushton
31-12-2010, 04:21 PM
good point, but how would you store all the meat from one big buck? if you wanted to make use of all the meat you get off a buck and store it for a while you'd need to spend time making an awful lot of jerky. far easier to go out and get meat pin handy meal sized packages (i.e one pigeon, one rabbit)

fish
31-12-2010, 04:29 PM
i understand your reasoning but i have fed my family of 6 by hunting during real financial hardship for a year,the small game meals are ok but hunting even by someone as experienced as myself is still a bit hit or miss (excuse the pun!) i found it far better to preserve a whole deer and know you had 20 days worth of food before you went hungry,i would spend the next week or so snaring rabbits and shooting feathered game with my catty,this would make the deer go furthur with meals of other game,by day 10 i would be trying to bag another deer.meanwhile i was foraging and growing crops for us to eat and sell surplus to turn into cash to buy sugar for preserving fruit and salt for beans and meats.
Admittedly i had no gun but a gun is only as good as the user and if theres no game theres no game!