PDA

View Full Version : My First Pole Lathe Turning Experience... Brilliant :-)

paul standley
11-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Today I spent a couple of hours turning a piece of ash on a pole lathe for the first time and I'm hooked...!

I did do a few hours turning 4 years ago on a hobby lathe (three and a half table legs... -long story !) so I wasn't a complete turning novice but after 4 years, I had to start again from scratch and the 'reciprocal' nature of the lathe rotation took a bit of getting used to.

Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAyW1HcwnHs

andy202wr
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Nice piece of turning. Any one in mind for it, or was it just a sper of the moment thing.

Tony1948
12-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Good work Paul,see you next week I hope..............TONY

paul standley
12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Nice piece of turning. Any one in mind for it, or was it just a sper of the moment thing.

It was what the demonstrator/instructor decided I was going to make...! - obviously one of his set-pieces he teaches.

paul standley
12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Good work Paul,see you next week I hope..............TONY

Hi Tony - I'm at the Wilderness Gathering just on the Friday next week. I was planning the whole long weekend camp there but family stuff taking priority at the moment so have to make do with the Friday. I'll probably find somewhere local to the venue to camp on the Thur night to allow me to get a full day in at the gathering instead of 2 hours early morning drive to get there.

Tony - If you are going to be there on the Friday and want to catch up then PM me and we can organise something.

Paul.

rawfish111
25-03-2013, 06:35 PM
bloody forum! A quick scan of new posts leads to an hour of pole lathe videos.....

Tigger004
25-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Looks like fun, done plenty of turning, including high finish tight tolerance stuff, but never had a go at pole lathes, same goes for dancing .... lol

Silverback
25-03-2013, 08:39 PM
T^