PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft Military Dress Code

Ashley Cawley
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Stumbled upon this on YouTube, which made me laugh (10secs in)... now I don't mind a bit of DPM but... :zombie-fighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWaV77OB_VM

Silverback
04-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh deary, deary me.

Surplus gear is ok because its robust and cheap-ish, most of us will have something from a surplus supplier but he looks like hes in a war movie. However if he was going hunting .......and wearing 'real tree' as opposed to American Woodland would that make it different ?

I wear ex military gear and have camouflage stuff but only because it was the only colour that bargain basement item came in.

jus_young
04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Check out that knife at 8.20! This guy is great, eat your heart out Rambo!

Tony1948
04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
That mursh is DANGEROUS,wots with that knife,you cant beet a man in DPM's & a Green beret,ye right,I'm well glad most of um live over the pond.Can you get you'r head round coming across somthing like him in the woods LoL and if you did he'd kill you.I'm so glad I live in this calm and plentant Land........BUT........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS............TONY

bigzee
04-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Oooh...first I started to cringe 'cos I felt embarrased for him, then I started to laugh!

When it comes to self-defence tactics I'm sure you'll all agree too that a recurve bow and a quiver full of arrows is hard to improve on (on a night out perhaps - ideal!) Yoda-like in his infinite wisdom and thoughfulness, he plods around in his third-world army clothing and lashes his Blue Peter project target to a tree without quick release hitches (hope he's got good fingernails - or maybe he'll slash them loose with his scimitar survival knife with heavy blade?).

Thirty five going on nine!

J_P
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
loon......

carl
04-08-2011, 09:52 PM
do you recognise the music?......................thats right its the sound track to rambo first blood part 1 lol

CanadianMike
04-08-2011, 09:57 PM
This is great, about 2mins in, pulls out a kids 20lb recurve, and as hes about to close the trunk I see the orange muzzles of a couple airsoft guns! Lol, now, stop typing and go continue to watch!!! :D

JEEP
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Interesting; you do not meet guys like him in the Scandinavian wilderness (ok, you may actually be able to find a few in Finnland I guess). A guy walking around in the woods, wearing a semi military outfit like that, armed with a bow, would soon be picked up by the police here.
We are very much used to hunters, even the occational (rare) bow hunter - but a guy looking like that, shooting a bow in a public forest! That would cause a lot of concern among the other forest guests, most likely causing them to call the police.

I don't really like mocking people, but it is really hard not to: A grown man, dressed up as a soldier (it would have been a lot less extreme, if he had lost the baret though), shooting a cheap glassfiber toy bow (we sell these at the store where I work), toting a huge "rambo knife".... Well, it is hard not to crack a wee smile. Though, if I actually met him in the wilderness, I would probably be a bit weary of him

I have seen a few of his other videos; apparently he really likes playing soldier. He has got a lot of diffrent weapons (both real and air-soft) and uniforms (he even poses in a complete special forces uniform, complete with insignia, in a few of the videos).

Are there a lot of "gung ho" bushcrafters like him in the US?

Ashley Cawley
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Interesting; you do not meet guys like him in the Scandinavian wilderness...You don't meet any quite like this here in the UK either!... Like you said; I don't usually like to mock anyone either and almost never posted it - but I think it was the beret & beard that did it for me had me laughing and I figured this guy obviously wanted to be seen (publishing himself to YouTube etc)... I think he might have watched too many action movies.

JEEP
04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I just watched a few other videos, he even trains with his M14, wearing a gas mask!

I guess, if you post videos like these of yourself like this; wearing uniforms from military units you are not a part of, playing around with weapons, with movie soundtracks as background music - you are pretty much asking to be the laugh of the town.

Ashley Cawley
04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I think his ability becomes apparent when you watch his latest video, where he reviews an "awesome knife" which is $9.99 (£6) and is obviously just pure tat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLowaedMobw

When it gets to this stage I don't mind shooting this chap down (as I categorise him in the same league as Bear Grylls) - someone who doesn't actually know their stuff although they try and act like they do and in doing so can mislead others into buying or doing the wrong thing, which could for example result in an inexperienced person buying a tool based on this guy's opinion and have it fail on them or worse take other advice and injure themselves :(

CanadianMike
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Onward to part 2!! Can't wait for the "rifle training"!!! Lol, thanks for the laughs Ashley, I'm hooked. So much for knife work the next hour or so. :D

PS: LOVE his "survival knife"! I guess he isn't making a big fire because his parents told him to be back home for 10pm curfew.

Silverback
04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I actually thought this guy was having a laugh a la the 'Fast Show' and "LETS OFF ROAD !" but he's serious isnt he ?

Ashley Cawley
04-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Jesus... they just get worse lol... I can't carry on watching. Kill me now :zombie-fighting:

JEEP
04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
He doesn't actually review the knife. He just thinks it looks cool. I suspect this guy isn't playing with a full deck really.

I actually know these knives; they are wallhangers, not meant to be used. I have seen a guy break one, at a fleamarket, just by trying to unsheath it (not kidding).

I am not really a fan of Bear Grylls either, but putting him in the same category as "Action Man" here, is maybe a little harsh - though I do see what you are getting at. Bad advice is bad advice, no matter how you wrap it.

CanadianMike
04-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Am sure there are tonnes of numptys like this all over the US, and I KNOW there are some here in Canada, seen a few myself.

Aaron Rushton
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
these guys videos are hilarious! it's a bit sad though, i sort of feel sorry for him...if he was doing it on purpous for laughs they'd probably be even funnier, i'm finding it hard to believe this guys serious..

CanadianMike
04-08-2011, 11:07 PM
My comments regarding the first video, he kept the fourth arrow in his quiver in case he got attacked and run over, that way he could kill himself with it to avoid a capture. And the reason for his building the small fire only is because his parents have a 10pm curfew......

Notredame11211
05-08-2011, 02:59 AM
Are there a lot of "gung ho" bushcrafters like him in the US?

There are quite a few people like this in the U.S., but most bushcrafters in the United States think people like this are insane and become frightened at the sight of these radicals. I know that there are definitely people like this in Canada too, especially in the Territories

JEEP
05-08-2011, 06:29 AM
There are quite a few people like this in the U.S., but most bushcrafters in the United States think people like this are insane and become frightened at the sight of these radicals. I know that there are definitely people like this in Canada too, especially in the Territories

So, he is likely one of those types who think that society us going to collapse soon - and that he is among the few who are ready for it? I have heard about the S**t Hits The Fan crowd, seen some of "their" videos - from what I have seen, I suspect many of these people will be the first to get hurt/killed, should an incident like that actually happen.
Should the s**t really hit the fan one day, people dressed up in fake military uniforms, acting like this guy, would end up getting hurt - or, more likely, hurting them selves - really fast. I think the best advice I have ever seen in a SHTF video is; Do not try to look like or impersonate a law enforcement or military professionel, in the event of at total breakdown, these guys will attract a lot of attention from: A. People seeking your protection, slowing you down and possibly wearing out your recourses. B. People who know that you are in posession of valueable recourses, like weapons, ammunition, medical supplies and field rations (or any other kind of food), wishing to steal these from you, most likely hurting you in the process. C. Frustrated/maddened individuals and groups who might see you as an representative of the system that let them down - causing you to be a prime target for their (violent) anger. I can't find that particular video, but the guy behind it advices the viewer to lose the tactical nylon, OD jumpsuit and military looking AR pattern rifles. In an actual SHTF event, looking like everyone else, actually increases your chances of getting out alive and in one piece, with your survival gear and other recourses hidden in a plain looking backpack. Sound advice IMHO.

klause
05-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Nice post ! i'm gona watch em all when i get home from work !
This guys a chip short of a butty !

MikeWilkinson
05-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... (Rolling on the floor laughing, for quite some time, till my ribs ache).... Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

Phew.... I do sometimes worry about the people in this world.

Edwin
05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Recognised the bow, we have one like that we use for our Have-a-go archery at fetes and reenactments. I get 8 year-olds to be as accurate with it at our animal face targets in about 5 minutes. But then why shouldn't he be able to play in the woods? I do in our wood.

BUt, should add that I am not a survivalist, just waiting to know what I want to be when I grow up.

Silverback
05-08-2011, 10:16 AM
What gets me about this guy is that he has left on or even worse sewn on Military identifying insignia - that just begs for trouble.

I'm with JEEP.

Aaron Rushton
05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
jeep- realy good point about that SHTF situation thing with wearing military clothing, an excellent point in fact! i usually wear dpm or other camo when i know i'm gunna get mucky, as they are my hunting clothes and i can get those as dirty or smelly as i like.

ANDYRAF
05-08-2011, 02:01 PM
He started with five arrows and ended with four, Hummmm! he must have lost one. I admit I do wear a lot of military kit when out and about, but then I got it free, so I'm just being frugal with my pennies. I just can't believe he's wearing a Beret, it has to be the most impractical head gear in the woods.

Andy(RAF)

luresalive
05-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Wholey poo !!!

Tony1948
05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Wots wrong with a beret?ooooooooooooooooooooooBetty................. ...OVER the pond guys wont understand,he's about the same stamp as frank

happybonzo
05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
You don't meet any quite like this here in the UK either!....

There was some fat walty dribbler on the front of the Daily Hate about two years ago and he came from Great Yarmouth - still that might explain a lot :)

JEEP
05-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I just watched some of his "martial arts" videos... action man is a backyard ninja aswell? No suprise I guess.

I haven't fought for many years (busted my shoulder teaching WMA and working as an archaeologist), but I am quite sure I could pacify him instantly, without even having to hurt him. His reflexes are almost nonexistent.

klause
05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr7mGa91wBY

Jason Stork genuine American giant eight year old retard ! Quality viewing though my fav is the 'Snow Hole Sniper'.

The amazing thing is he has 3 1/2 k subscribers! wonder how many are taking the piss ?

JEEP
06-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Ohhh.... Action Man has got a miniature dragunov to match his toy bow. How sweet!

And, what's with the halloween gloves he is wearing in a lot of the videos? Skeletal hand gloves, recommended by 50% of the recent occupants of Castle Greyskull!

klause
06-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Ohhh.... Action Man has got a miniature dragunov to match his toy bow. How sweet!

I realy thought it was a wind up at first, but the more of his vids i watch the more i realise how serious he is !

Mountainous Survival - STAY TUNED lol !

Thumbcrusher
06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Worth watching for the incredibly realistic muzzle flash alone!

What a cretin!!

Metal mug
06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh both these guys are great, they should get lots of shiny medals. :)

comanighttrain
06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Lol

bigzee
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
What's that crouching by the river, and looking left and right all about? Is he looking for trees in the wood?

CanadianMike
06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
He started with five arrows and ended with four, Hummmm! he must have lost one.

Impossible!!! He has video PROOF that he never missed the target once!! Am sure that even if one fell out of his quiver or his hand while shooting, his awesomeness would have defied gravity and forced that arrow into the target beside the other ones. :)

LOL at the snow cave sniper, his little half inch scope even has flip up covers!! Am surprised he was able to flip the up they look so small.

JEEP
06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLU0BIVkFYw&feature=player_profilepage

You have got to see this! If you watch all the way through, you will now know how Star Wars Kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU) ended up.

Their homemade katas are utter bs - they are far more inspired by Hong Kong action movies, than actual martial arts. The tameshigiri (cutting of pool noodels and tatami (bamboo) mats) is just painfull to watch! Funny to se how the little guy is actually doing a better job than Action Man, even though it is his first time ever cutting tatami mats. These guys wuld be expelled from any dojo here in Denmark.

Tip: If you wish to experience the strange motion of being somewhat terrified yet peeing your pants laughing, watch the playlist named DANBO. But, don't say I didn't warn you!

comanighttrain
06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
it hurts to watch.

CanadianMike
06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
it hurts to watch.

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. In the case of these videos, only time gets killed, and you end up wishing for those lost minutes of your life back. Lol

jus_young
06-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Went into Hawkins Bazaar today to do a little gift shopping and was amazed to see his archery set! It will set you back a whole £8.50 if you want one.

klause
07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Heeearrr harrr hoorrr heeeaaaarrrrghhhh ! Proper funny - Mitt drill in the mountains !

Metal mug
07-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Went into Hawkins Bazaar today to do a little gift shopping and was amazed to see his archery set! It will set you back a whole £8.50 if you want one.What was the bow's draw weight? :)

jus_young
07-08-2011, 06:32 PM
What was the bow's draw weight? :)

Probably no more than about 35

ounces

Edwin
07-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Bow weight very unlikely to be more than 20 lbs if that.

Metal mug
08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
What was the bow's draw weight? :)

Probably no more than about 35

ounces Cor! That would probably bring down a rhino*.

*Note: I could have said polar bear. :(

Adam Savage
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
He has good production skills, making the video look interesting with all the angles 'n' all, but as far as his choice of clothing and kit go...he's just your average American really...you know...the sort you see in B movies...yeah that's him http://images.wikia.com/tremors/images/8/83/Burtgummer2.jpg.

Like Ash said, Beverly Grills...

Metal mug
11-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Beverly Grills...Ha ha! Now there has to be a tv series in that. :D

Humakt
11-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Well done whoever found those videos.
I haven't laughed so much in ages.
Whenever The Knife came on I laughed so hard I let out a little bit of wee.

You know what though, I quite admire him. There's no guile about him. No pretence. He's just out in the woods playing soldiers by himself. He knows what he likes doing and he's not afraid to do it.
Quite envy him as well - wish we could go out to the woods and fire off a gun and bow for an innocent bit of taregt practice.

I think he's just become my hero. What a dude!

Adam Savage
11-08-2011, 03:14 PM
You like that, you're gunna love this muppet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utAavw7R2bM

JEEP
12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Playing zombie apocalypse?!

Pure win!

Metal mug
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Playing zombie apocalypse?!

Pure win!Who plays the zombies though? :)

Adam Savage
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Who plays the zombies though? :)

Other Americans, they are over half way there anyhow :p

Humakt
13-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Who plays the zombies though? :)

Me!
I have been a zombie extra in a zombie film!

Adam Savage
13-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Me!

Cool, I think I'd make a good zombie, long as they got me at my best (for the role) at 4am when the cat wakes me up. ;)

Metal mug
13-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Me!

Cool, I think I'd make a good zombie, long as they got me at my best (for the role) at 4am when the cat wakes me up. ;)I hope you're both good at dodging knives.

Adam Savage
13-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I hope you're both good at dodging knives.

The folder is small enough to avoid and that rambo effort is probably too heavy to use, besides, you'd see it coming in plenty of time :)

feebullet
17-09-2011, 08:11 AM
ok, I um.... well..... that was a rather revealing insight into a deeply troubled mind. I want his 'fully automatic', always wanted a rifle that cleaned, loaded, aimed and hid itself before pending police raids.

Raven
17-09-2011, 09:38 AM
well bring on the apocalypse!!!! hooraa!!!!!!!! the sad thing is, people probably think we are all zombie phobic, machete swinging, beret wearing k*#b jockies! and lets face it bears not much better! great vids chaps :happy-clapping:

Aaron Rushton
17-09-2011, 09:44 AM

You have got to see this! If you watch all the way through, you will now know how Star Wars Kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU) ended up.

Their homemade katas are utter bs - they are far more inspired by Hong Kong action movies, than actual martial arts. The tameshigiri (cutting of pool noodels and tatami (bamboo) mats) is just painfull to watch! Funny to se how the little guy is actually doing a better job than Action Man, even though it is his first time ever cutting tatami mats. These guys wuld be expelled from any dojo here in Denmark.

Tip: If you wish to experience the strange motion of being somewhat terrified yet peeing your pants laughing, watch the playlist named DANBO. But, don't say I didn't warn you!
i love the grunts! he must be taken the mick, this can't possibly be serious.

Wrighty28
17-09-2011, 10:08 AM
lol, ok. the trousers and jacket i could understand if the weather conditions were a bit crappy. i myself have a waterproof/ windproof set of British Army Issue DPM. The boots are uncomfortable at the best of times so wouldn't be my first choice but, each to there own i suppose.... what takes it to far for me.............. is that beret.

mazmann
16-10-2011, 05:15 PM
This what happens when cousins marry......

clapton33uk
17-10-2011, 11:46 AM
he is my hero lol

Colliewobble
18-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Dunno what uncle Ray would make of him!

JEEP
18-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Dunno what uncle Ray would make of him!

Having the choioce, he would stear far away from him!

If Ray should end up in a situation where he somehow got the responsibility for an individual like actionman here (at an advanced course or in case of an emergency), I belive that the first thing Ray would do would be to strip him of his toys, stripping him of his illusions and dangerous misunderstandings of survival. Then give him som kind of very basic responsibility, of which he could not fail, thus building up his self esteem, occupying him and making him feel useful. In a tense situation, nothing is more dangerous than an idle fool, equipped with weapons, grave misunderstandings and delusions of grandeur.

GwersyllaCnau
25-10-2011, 11:49 AM
nothing is more dangerous than an idle fool, equipped with weapons, grave misunderstandings and delusions of grandeur.

Sound like an old OC of mine

JEEP
25-10-2011, 11:54 AM
OC?

GwersyllaCnau
25-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Officer Commanding

Metal mug
25-10-2011, 12:22 PM
It'd be kinda funny if it turned out that he was really a general in the American army. :)

Martin
25-10-2011, 01:19 PM
It'd be kinda funny if it turned out that he was really a general in the American army. :)

Funny but preposterous! :D

Martin

CanadianMike
25-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow, 8 pages.............

JEEP
25-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Officer Commanding

:D

Bernie
25-10-2011, 08:42 PM

I can't watch it all! It's too much!!!

Notice the remarkable difference in speed when handling the boken and the real sword. LOL!

Metal mug
26-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Gotta like the tash and sideburns though.

JEEP
26-10-2011, 06:54 AM
I used to have a beard like that actually - and I used to wear a beret once :ashamed:

.... not at the same time luckily.

Metal mug
26-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I used to have a beard like that actually - and I used to wear a beret once :ashamed:

.... not at the same time luckily.If you did have them both at the same time it would make a great avatar picture. :D

JEEP
27-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Indeed :)

Solidedge
27-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I think I respect him.

Ok I dont agree with him(and I certainly wont trust him with children), but he is actually living his dream. Some how he is making money, living in stunning mountains. Doing what he wants to do. Plus he has over 3.5K subscribers. Add another 50% that dont subscribe. He has more viewers than me.

How does he live?. He must be the secret millionaire.

Adam Savage
27-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I think I respect him.

Ok I dont agree with him(and I certainly wont trust him with children), but he is actually living his dream. Some how he is making money, living in stunning mountains. Doing what he wants to do. Plus he has over 3.5K subscribers. Add another 50% that dont subscribe. He has more viewers than me.

How does he live?. He must be the secret millionaire.

All good points there. He must be doing something right. Also, I think we may be a little jealous of his location :p

Ashley Cawley
27-10-2011, 07:40 PM
...How does he live?...With balls & a Beret!

:war:

Adam Savage
27-10-2011, 07:45 PM
:happy-clapping: :happy-clapping:

Solidedge
27-10-2011, 07:55 PM
:happy-clapping:

alvino78
27-10-2011, 09:07 PM
overly zealous, but love the location!!!

treefrog
31-10-2011, 11:41 PM
A Faulknerian idiot manchild with no hope of any interaction with the opposite sex...leaves him with lots of spare time I expect...hope he doesn't hurt anyone!
He seems to operate on a whole other plane of reality...where people take toy knife reviews seriously.

Adam Savage
01-11-2011, 07:38 AM
A Faulknerian idiot manchild with no hope of any interaction with the opposite sex...leaves him with lots of spare time I expect...hope he doesn't hurt anyone!
He seems to operate on a whole other plane of reality...where people take toy knife reviews seriously.

I'm not sure if he really takes himself seriously, or if it's just for entertainment. Who knows? Not sure I would go as far to call him an idiot, but manchild, yeah I'll agree there :). It's not so bad to act 5 every now n then lol.

Edwin
01-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Is he really so much worse than those that endlessly collect knives when any they already have would do whatever was wanted. or stove collecting etc? We all have our obsessions and interests and the stories we live in inside our heads. So, he puts them down on film, so what?

I believe that some do not have a life they live inside their own skulls but then they are generally very dull people.

Humakt
02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Blimey.

How very Freudian.

What are we to make of two chaps, alone, cutting up what looks like a massive, pink rubber, dildo..?

Bless 'em.

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
What's even worse, is the fact it's faked. Why not just sharpen the blades and do it for real?

Proof images...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/FakeKatana.png

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/FakeExamined.jpg

Yeah I have too much time on my hands :)

treefrog
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
If you look at the comments he gets, virtually everyone takes this shmuck seriously and they think the sun shines out his arse. How sorry a comment is that on the
intellect of society? Maybe the joke is on us and we're just not getting it. I still can't get past that dollar store Rambo knife, though. Retail is ten bucks; somebody
is buying container-loads at about three dollars apiece...made in China from white metal? I'm surprised it survived the batonning without exploding into a million bits!
But it's (thumbs up) 'Mountainous approved!'.

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, with the "intellect of society" part. It's the world we live in, more than one person. His viewers like it, it's just we don't. Heck, I don't agree with the "tools" (word used very loosely) that he uses, or gives his "Mountainous Approval", but it keeps him off the streets, keeps him happy, keeps a lot of his viewers happy. Everyone deserves to be happy really. Yeah we have had a good rant and a laugh about him, but at the end of the day, we don't have to watch the stuff if we don't like it.

Seeing as this little thread is getting quite heated, maybe it's time to close it? I know I have poked fun at the guy, but like mentioned, if it makes him and others happy, who are we to make fun of him? Maybe it's the viewers that take it seriously that need the fun making? Either way, we'll always have our opinions about him and the things he does, and I think we have made enough of a point about it.

What do you reckon???

:)

Roadkillphil
02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Everyone deserves to be happy really.

:)

Absolutely Adam.

JEEP
02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Imho. there is no reason to close down this thread. If you broadcast yourself acting like this on YouTube, you ought to know that it comes with a certain amount of redicule.

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Imho. there is no reason to close down this thread. If you broadcast yourself acting like this on YouTube, you ought to know that it comes with a certain amount of redicule.

I guess you're right, but that's what YouTube is for, for people to share videos of whatever they want (within the law of course). I'm just not so sure that we should judge the guy quite as harshly, or at least, not on a friendly, public forum. Especially a bushcraft forum, where the ethics revolve around being in tune with nature, in a live and let live manner.
I hope I'm making sense lol.

Humakt
02-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Credit where credit's due, though - he can ride that BMX alright.

JEEP
02-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I guess you're right, but that's what YouTube is for, for people to share videos of whatever they want (within the law of course). I'm just not so sure that we should judge the guy quite as harshly, or at least, not on a friendly, public forum. Especially a bushcraft forum, where the ethics revolve around being in tune with nature, in a live and let live manner.
I hope I'm making sense lol.

You are making sense - and your point is valid indeed. But, please allow me to turn this around and play a little game of Devil's advocate here:

Being both a practitioner of martial arts and an avid outdoors person, I am sick and tired of people like "actionman" here, feeding the mainstream media and public opinion with plenty of excuses to write everyone, with an interest in martial arts and survival/bushcraft, off as borderline nutters - or full blown whack jobs.

Seeing a guy like this, makes me understand 100% how Ray Mears feels about Bear Grylls (no, I am not directly comparing Bear to "actionman" here, that would be truly unfair to Bear).

I could find many excuses to be angry at "actionman" and people like him, for giving two of my favourite past times a bad rep, but, being a fairly mild mannered guy, I will resort to venting by just poking fun of him.

Yes, he is just having fun - but it is wrong to say that he is doing no harm. He is, indirectly, harming the public opinion on people like us. For 90% of the public this guy could just aswell be you or me.

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Very good point Jakob. Glad to see you put so much passion into what you like/do. Also glad to see you take those things seriously.

I love these little debates :)

Edwin
02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
You don't think Jeep that you are being a tiny bit obsessive yourself? You don't own waving swords or fire steels around. Are any of us to submit to some authenticity checker before making a video? The open nature of the Internet is its greatest strength and consensus will eventually be reached on any matters arising partly because everyone else is free to raise their objections and corrections.

One might ask just what Bushcraft is being displayed at staggering to a campsite with a load of kit and spending the night there? Of course the Bushcraft is in adsorbing the atmosphere on the trail and once there in observing nature while enjoying the outdoors. However, Jim Bridger wouldn't recognise the event as anything like his regular months long stealth camps.

Surely live and let live unless you want to eat it is the Bushcraft way?

JEEP
03-11-2011, 07:48 AM
You don't think Jeep that you are being a tiny bit obsessive yourself?

Well, that is part of playing the whole devil's advocate thing ;)

Realearner
03-11-2011, 07:50 AM
To be honest, I have not been into bushcraft that long, however I still get odd looks and comments from people. These people have not seen this idiots videos, they just assume I can't be all there when you can light a fire with a lighter or buy food from a shop etc.
So this guy does not make some people think we are fringe as that happens anyway :zombie-fighting:

Humakt
03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I can't believe so many of you are being so po-faced about Mountainous.
Oh yes, he's a dufus of the highest order. But at least he's just getting on and doing what he wants.
Have some of you never heard of irony? (not that I think he's being ironic, but you can watch it with irony)

As someone earlier said, if you think he's bringing outdoor/bushcraft/survival into disrepute then you're just kidding yourself - the man-on-the-street already thinks you're a wannabe-Rambo.

Check out this one: http://www.youtube.com/user/MOUNTAINOUS#p/u/114/Gy9dJ2eDuHU
Be warned - you'll see him in his boxers. Check out lunch – four sausages and four eggs! And if you can watch the way he swings the climbing rope and his body at the same time without dying with laughter then you’re better than me. And the sight of the dufus, in full military gear, perched precariously on a camping chair in front of his tent, eyes furtively scanning the woods, as he eats his super noodles.
This is a genius at work here. A Nietzschean uber man who has risen above petty bourgeouis concerns and has the power to be what he wants.
Or a great big whalloping dork.
Good for him, either way. The simple bell end.

Metal mug
03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
In that video he reminds me a bit of Colonel Kurtz.

CanadianMike
03-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Took long enough to get started, but made some observations........ he has a good camera and shows a lot of really nice scenery and plants; am surprised he didn't creep out of his tent armed to the teeth scanning for the enemy; I'm disappointed he didn't set up any airsoft Claymore mines around his truck and tent. Guess he didn't want to trip one and end up with a bunch of red welts on his bare legs when he went to his truck for his midnight Mars bar.......... Lol, back to watching.

Metal mug
14-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Hey I wonder if beret guy had a brother who moved to Britain? :D

Adam Savage
14-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Spooky

Notredame11211
15-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Spooky

Very spooky indeed

Ashley Cawley
15-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Magical thread, love it :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
15-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Look, another one... :p

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/bash.png

rossbird
15-11-2011, 04:30 PM

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/bash.png

So Ash appeared in 'ello 'ello :D

Ashley Cawley
16-11-2011, 02:10 PM
You Blaggard! lol.

Adam Savage
16-11-2011, 02:24 PM
:D

Silverback
16-11-2011, 02:31 PM
This is a genius at work here. A Nietzschean uber man who has risen above petty bourgeouis concerns and has the power to be what he wants.
Or a great big whalloping dork.
Good for him, either way. The simple bell end.

A quote worthy of Jeremy Clarkson..... laugh ? I nearly wet myself !!!

Metal mug
16-11-2011, 03:11 PM

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/bash.pngThere's my new avatar. :D

Adam Savage
16-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I think this is more suitable for your avatar :)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/beretmug.png

Metal mug
16-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I think this is more suitable for your avatar :)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/beretmug.pngCool - I'll wear it for special occasions.

nicklasodh
16-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Watching guys that doesn't have all the horses in the stable, doesn't have all the indians in the canoe, doesn't have all the knives in the drawer etc. that dress up like super heroes and waving around guns reminds me about a guy currently facing trial in Oslo right now. You all know who I am talking about.

Yes, I too wear M-numbered clothes, however I mostly use old all green M/59 issue pants and mix it with civilian boots and jackets. The military has lots of useful stuff but you dont have to go all the way and dress all camo.

CanadianMike
17-11-2011, 02:04 AM
The M-series gas mask without a filter while shooting toilet paper tubes in the woods with toy guns does push it a bit far, doesn't it? ;)

Got bored of my usual youtube touring, decided to check out some of his other videos for retarded intertainment (one of those days at work), and came across this gem (since I just recently got back into archery and have been watching lots of tuning videos.....)

The boy definitely has some cash in his pockets for that armour and such, but not that much since he still hasn't moved over to a 'man-sized' bow, or even lessons for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ApC0sGUbMQ

Lol, at 2:40 he shoots, then does a backroll and gives the target (likely dodgey ninja trained cardboard tubes) the middle finger, I've felt like that at times in the past. ;)

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Lol, at 2:40 he shoots, then does a backroll and gives the target (likely dodgey ninja trained cardboard tubes) the middle finger, I've felt like that at times in the past. ;)Why does he roll? Seems a bit of an odd thing to do with a bow - or any weapon for that matter.

Humakt
17-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Notice how he's cleared the area of stones and sticks before he does his acrobatics.
Mummy's little soldier doesn't want to hurt himself...

CanadianMike
17-11-2011, 11:45 AM
He rolls because it's the ninja thing to do, helps them avoid swords, throwning stars, limbo dancing lines, etc.

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 12:14 PM
He rolls because it's the ninja thing to do, helps them avoid swords, throwning stars, limbo dancing lines, etc.I knew there was a sensible answer. :)

CanadianMike
17-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Usually is............except when it comes to Mountianous, he is rather comical and simplistic. Shook my head at the end of that last video, him riding around on the horse while dressed in full samurai armour......... :)

jbrown14
17-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I've got to stop checking this thread. I end up watching a couple of more of his videos every time, and becoming more and more confused every time. He has a lot of videos of himself eating various meals. To me, he looks almost 40 years old as well as about 250 lbs, yet he has many videos of himself riding skatepark BMX; very simple tricks, mind you, but he's out there riding like a little kid. He seems to either own or have access to the many military-type outfits as well as the martial arts costumes. Either he's got money, lives in his mom's basement, or is something entirely different...I don't know.

It's a little addicting...:confused2:

Josh

Adam Savage
17-11-2011, 02:08 PM
No comment :D

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I only wear my samurai armour when I'm on the forum. :D

rossbird
17-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Tooooo much information:D

CanadianMike
17-11-2011, 06:28 PM

So that makes you a chaircrafter?

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 06:29 PM
So that makes you a chaircrafter?Yeah, although when i'm out in public I always wear my beret. :)

Ben Casey
17-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah, although when i'm out in public I always wear my beret. :)

Funnily I have just ordered a beret LOL

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Funnily I have just ordered a beret LOLYou didn't order a suit of samurai armour as well? :D

Ben Casey
17-11-2011, 08:07 PM
You didn't order a suit of samurai armour as well? :D

Na not yet but it could be an idea LOL

Adam Savage
17-11-2011, 08:17 PM
I lost my beret. :( Still have a cap badge though. :) but it's from the royal lancers, not the anglians :( but it's got the skull and cross bones on, so it's cool :)
Still haven't got a plastic bow, or suit of armour though :(

Ben Casey
17-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I lost my beret. :( Still have a cap badge though. :) but it's from the royal lancers, not the anglians :( but it's got the skull and cross bones on, so it's cool :)
Still haven't got a plastic bow, or suit of armour though :(

If you go to the Cornwall R.V. we could make some bows then chase everyone round the local woods seeing who gets away LOL

Bambii
17-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I still have my kit from cadets, I got my beret still too... I'm such a loser, i ended up stitching it haha

The cap badge was a Royal Logistics.

Adam Savage
17-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Berets at dawn then? Logistics corp do some funky stuff with landrovers and radio masts :)

CanadianMike
17-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, although when i'm out in public I always wear my beret. :)

Do you also wear your steel cup.........?

Realbark
18-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Skull and Bones - 17th/21st Lancers - my brother was a tankie. Ive still got my Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters cap badge. But would not be seen out in a beret, took much like Frank Spencer for civvies :)

Metal mug
18-11-2011, 09:48 AM
If you go to the Cornwall R.V. we could make some bows then chase everyone round the local woods seeing who gets away LOLSounds fun. :)

Do you also wear your steel cup.........?Yeah. And when it rains I get a drink of water. :D

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Berets at dawn then? Logistics corp do some funky stuff with landrovers and radio masts :)

COUGH you what the logistics corp dont do comms mate that was me Signals Swift and Sure :) and I done time running around with you Inf types I done a year in the School of Inf before they kicked me out of there for going AWOL :) I got sent back to Germany one of my best mates was in the Sherwood Foresters back in the early 80's Les Bennet will never forget hin LOL Oh and I got invited to join the Anglians but decided not to LOL
When I was an CA with the cadets that was with the Anglian Cadets :)

Dont believe it that people think the logistics do Comms what the world coming to :( :)

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 01:21 PM
COUGH you what the logistics corp dont do comms mate that was me Signals Swift and Sure :) and I done time running around with you Inf types I done a year in the School of Inf before they kicked me out of there for going AWOL :) I got sent back to Germany one of my best mates was in the Sherwood Foresters back in the early 80's Les Bennet will never forget hin LOL Oh and I got invited to join the Anglians but decided not to LOL
When I was an CA with the cadets that was with the Anglian Cadets :)

Dont believe it that people think the logistics do Comms what the world coming to :( :)

I had a mate in the logs, and he used to have to set up a 20 foot mast from the roof of his landy. Maybe it's just to stay in touch with HQ or something, but he used to get scared in lightning storms lol. I guess when you think about it, when they are out "delivering" stuff to troops, they could be a long way from home, so would need a meaty transmitter ???

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I had a mate in the logs, and he used to have to set up a 20 foot mast from the roof of his landy. Maybe it's just to stay in touch with HQ or something, but he used to get scared in lightning storms lol. I guess when you think about it, when they are out "delivering" stuff to troops, they could be a long way from home, so would need a meaty transmitter ???

Sounds like it mate most of the Regiments had there Sigs Platoons with all the masts we had I used to love getting out and about with them it was cool :) We always hhad to drop our masts in lightning incase we got struck. on one of the masts we had it had a big case on that we converted in winter to sled down the hills it was cool till we got caught :))

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Skull and Bones - 17th/21st Lancers - my brother was a tankie. Ive still got my Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters cap badge. But would not be seen out in a beret, took much like Frank Spencer for civvies :)

Death or glory mate T^

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Sounds like it mate most of the Regiments had there Sigs Platoons with all the masts we had I used to love getting out and about with them it was cool :) We always hhad to drop our masts in lightning incase we got struck. on one of the masts we had it had a big case on that we converted in winter to sled down the hills it was cool till we got caught :))

I bet those masts increased the range to over 3 feet ;)

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I bet those masts increased the range to over 3 feet ;)

VHF was naff (I spent many a night going over Salisbury Plains with the Inf guys to attack the old village there:( ) I leart loads of things with the Infantry tho like how to take rounds apart and get the old gun pwder to explode or messing about with detonators some of them where a bit mad I think LOL HF was cool you could get anywhere in the world with that and the old morse code :) When I first started I was radio relay the best fun with them that we had was blocking the TV signal out in Hannover when we sort of put it to high power without permission :)
I think now it is nearly all Sat Comms the lucky sods :)

Silverback
18-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Ben is your back all scaley ?

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 04:46 PM
LOL, there's a bit of confusion with the "scaley" part. Some say it's due to leaky batteries, some say it's because the sigs used scale E (apparently anyway).

The inf did used to have fun, but they get a little annoyed if you "take it too far AGAIN" lol. Blocking TV signals could be fun, not sure if it'll work the same with digital...should do.

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 05:11 PM
To be honest I dont know why we where called scaleys everytime I was out with the infantry guys they called me it so I called them footsloggers or grunts (Hmmm No I think the Grunts where the Pioneers LOL). Alla apart of the banter :)

Realbark
18-11-2011, 09:22 PM
we had an excercise with the 5th/8th Kings up near southport in the eighties - all scousers - couldnt undersatnd a feckin word over the comms - it was all "say again" all night = lol. Didnt bother me tho , just being a footslogger :)

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I think inf has got to be the most varied role. We did loads of fun stuff lol.

Silverback
18-11-2011, 10:56 PM
I think inf has got to be the most varied role. We did loads of fun stuff lol.

Ahem. Build any bridges, find any mines ? Water Supply ? POL ? Air Support, drive big tonka toys, brickies, sparkies, plumbing.....oh and inf role.

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 11:06 PM
We played with grenades, fired AKs, pistols, LAWs, MAWs, (as well as the usual SAs, LSWs), rode around in APCs, scimitars, gazelles, train in FIBUA, which include house clearance, subterrainean assualt, entry, letter boxing, CQB, basic comms, etc. So to me that's all the fun stuff lol. brickies, sparkies, etc. are civvi jobs to me :). Air support is for the fly boys, and our water supply was a puddle lol. :p

Silverback
18-11-2011, 11:21 PM
We played with grenades, fired AKs, pistols, LAWs, MAWs, (as well as the usual SAs, LSWs), rode around in APCs, scimitars, gazelles, train in FIBUA, which include house clearance, subterrainean assualt, entry, letter boxing, CQB, basic comms, etc. So to me that's all the fun stuff lol. brickies, sparkies, etc. are civvi jobs to me :). Air support is for the fly boys, and our water supply was a puddle lol. :p

Aye did all that........and dug your field defences for you too. Scimitars....HAH ! Chieftain and Centurion AVRE, AVLB's, M2 and M3 Amphib bridging rigs, mine warfare, and best of all things that make you go BOOOOOM !!

Adam Savage
18-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Scimitars were fast and fun :), chiefs and centurions where heavy and slow (ish ;)) M2s and M3s tend to be ordnance magnets, so with the mine laying/clearing is ok, but I prefer the more personal approach :D
Things that make you go boom are fun though, I give you that.

Ben Casey
19-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Me and my old 432 used to get up to 30 miles an hour :) But if I drained the govenor fuel out I could get 40 to 45 but it got a bit scary then :) I'm only a scaley at heart all that fighting stuff and bangs was all just to loud for me now a nice brew in the back of my 43 with my feet up and some rodney doing maps was my idea of fun LOL

Adam Savage
19-11-2011, 12:55 PM
lol. I think sapper wins the most varied role, you win the most chilled role, and I still want the most fun role lol

Ben Casey
19-11-2011, 01:58 PM
lol. I think sapper wins the most varied role, you win the most chilled role, and I still want the most fun role lol

You have to had the best role mate :) So I award it to you :)

Adam Savage
19-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I don't know about that. When you think about it, there is no best role when it comes to guns, tanks, bombs (including mines and grenades), fighting and war. I think you had the best role, as it was sat on your jacksy, drinking tea and playing with hi gain lol

Silverback
19-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Regimental rivalries will always come to the surface. There are no winners in war, we all lose something. Lives, limbs and probably worst of all innocence.

Lets get back on topic....anyone know where i can buy a plastic bow ?

Adam Savage
19-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Most good toy shops sell what is known as a "Rambo set", which comes complete with sucker tip arrows, plastic recurve bow, plastic bowie knife, and best of all, a head band :D

Ben Casey
19-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Most good toy shops sell what is known as a "Rambo set", which comes complete with sucker tip arrows, plastic recurve bow, plastic bowie knife, and best of all, a head band :D

I know there is always rivalry and no one really has a good time in the Forces and a lot of guys come out worse for it :( But the banter was always cool and I thought it was going on a bit here to :)

Anyway I just got my nephew a Rambo set as he wants to go to Cornwall with me next year :)

Metal mug
19-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Most good toy shops sell what is known as a "Rambo set", which comes complete with sucker tip arrows, plastic recurve bow, plastic bowie knife, and best of all, a head band :DJust trying on my Rambo set.......

Ben Casey
19-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Love it :D

El
29-04-2012, 01:15 PM
AWWWWW....well he is enjoying himself and thats all that matters really , but I could not get my head around an axe with a hidden knife in it..I think an axe with a hidden gun would sell better :)

KaiTheIronHound
12-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Holy crap, i reckon this bloke has turned up in disguise to a few of my courses... To be fair though, its always fun strapping on a full face safety mask and a pair of welding gauntlets to demonstrate why their knives arent really tools. Bit of a bugger when they get lost though, all that camo makes them a bastard to find.

Doc Goodson
30-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Hi Jeep,

I haven't seen anything like this before and I've lived in the U.S. all my life. His actions are bad shameful at best and he make a mockery of the military, in which I have served as a medic and now as a nurse for 5 years. It is sad that nut cases like this post videos on you tube and discredit the reputation of the other 99 percent of the population in the country. people like this are normally shunned or if we are lucky locked up

Adam Savage
30-09-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi Jeep,

I haven't seen anything like this before and I've lived in the U.S. all my life. His actions are bad shameful at best and he make a mockery of the military, in which I have served as a medic and now as a nurse for 5 years. It is sad that nut cases like this post videos on you tube and discredit the reputation of the other 99 percent of the population in the country. people like this are normally shunned or if we are lucky locked up

Very good point bud. We have our share of nut cases over here, but having such a small population, they don't show up very often. With the amount of people in the US, it only takes 1% (like you say) and there are hundreds of thousands of them. They're bound to show themselves more regularly.

Adam