PDA

View Full Version : Poppin storm kettle

dogrob
03-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Anyone used or using one of these?

http://www.thestormkettleshop.com/userimages/Poppin-Storm-Kettle%282205162%29.htm

andy202wr
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I dont have one but a friend of mine has and there the bussines.

dogrob
03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I dont have one but a friend of mine has and there the bussines.

Thats the answer I was looking for, only just found out about these! Did some research but most the vids were from retailers and wanted a user point of view.

Adam Savage
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Thats the answer I was looking for, only just found out about these! Did some research but most the vids were from retailers and wanted a user point of view.

They are great bits of kit, but try and get the right one for your purpose. The half litre (1 pint) is great for your brew and most dehydrated meals, while keeping the bulk and weight down. If you plan on using if for a couple people, then maybe the larger models would be better. Also think about the material you decide on, whether it be aluminium or stainless. I have seen a couple of the alu ones melt, just above the feed holes in the fire box.

Proventurer
04-08-2011, 08:05 AM
You might want to check out, MKettle, www.mkettle.com they are 500ml (Pint) in size, come with a neoprene sleeve for ease of handling (when hot) and are fast boiling, I teamed mine up with my White Box Stove, for ease of use and the flame through the middle roars like a jet engine and you're drinking tea before you know it!

dogrob
04-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys, some good advice. I'm not sure how good it would work up on the north moors though, I don't think people would appreciate me pulling bits off ancient oak. Still even if I carried some fuel it wouldn't weigh me down to much.

Martin
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I met a chap at Woodland Valley a couple of weeks ago called Simon, who had a Kelly Kettle. It was the first time I'd seen one 'in the flesh' and I was just so impressed at how easy it was to light and how quickly it boiled water.

I have two observations to make. Firstly, it is too big to be considered a 'backpacking' stove and secondly, it is somewhat of a 'one trick pony'. I mean, it boils water and that's it. I know you can get attachments that allow you to cook on top of it but that will add weight and the ferocity of the flame means that you will most likely burn your food long before it cooks in the middle.

As a means of carrying and boiling water, I would say this is a great piece of kit. As a lightweight, backpacking cook system I would say that this falls way short of the mark.

Martin

Adam Savage
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I met a chap at Woodland Valley a couple of weeks ago called Simon, who had a Kelly Kettle. It was the first time I'd seen one 'in the flesh' and I was just so impressed at how easy it was to light and how quickly it boiled water.

I have two observations to make. Firstly, it is too big to be considered a 'backpacking' stove and secondly, it is somewhat of a 'one trick pony'. I mean, it boils water and that's it. I know you can get attachments that allow you to cook on top of it but that will add weight and the ferocity of the flame means that you will most likely burn your food long before it cooks in the middle.

As a means of carrying and boiling water, I would say this is a great piece of kit. As a lightweight, backpacking cook system I would say that this falls way short of the mark.

Martin

The larger models have a grill that sits directly on the firebox, rather than on top of the kettle. This cancels the "stack effect", which is the secret behind the storm kettles fast boil. Also the Kelly kettle cannot be used to carry water, only boil it. The M-Kettle however, can be used to carry water.

http://www.eydonkettle.com/zGraphics/StormCookKit160x300.jpg

You are completely correct with the lightweight (or lack of being) issue. They are big, they aren't the lightest cooking solution, but they are more reliable & more efficient, than most other systems.