PDA

View Full Version : A shelter building excercise

bigzee
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM

My partner in outdoor crime(daughter) and I went for a play near some local woods last week. We went to do some rope swinging over the river and afterwards went for a stroll near the trees. Little-un bent a sapling over towards a tree and I noticed it would tie-on to a climber on the trunk. Next thing you know the swiss army knife was out and we came up with this. We were not intending to start a project, but after a bit of head scratching looking for cordage - realized we were surrounded with it - ground ivy! A case of not seeing the wood for the trees!

It's compact and bijou and not very practical but it was a good excercise in techniques, and "she who must be amused" can't wait for a return trip to finish it off.

Ben Casey
01-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks good :)

Martin
01-08-2011, 09:11 PM
It's great to do stuff with the kids isn't it? Mine's 13 now and seems to have found more interesting things to do than go out with her old man. Make the most of it. ;)

Martin

jus_young
01-08-2011, 09:15 PM
It's great to do stuff with the kids isn't it? Mine's 13 now and seems to have found more interesting things to do than go out with her old man. Make the most of it. ;)

Martin

Mine seem to be the total reverse at the moment. Can't go anywhere without them wanting to join in! Tis nice though.

MikeWilkinson
08-08-2011, 03:46 PM
My two are still v.little ( 2 and 4) yet both love coming out for a stomp in the woods, building shelters and foraging for food (they both adore Sorrel and bilberries). Eldest loves to do a little wood carving, and we had to make a wooden knife the youngest so that she can copy. I hope they never get bored with coming out with me. Keep up the good work bigzee!!

Metal mug
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
If anyone needs an overgrown surrogate bushcraft child. I'm your man. :) Just keep me well fed and if I get too noisy you can bottle feed me beer till I fall asleep. :D:D:D

Adam Savage
08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Good foundations for a great shelter you have there. Sometimes these projects never get finished, once you start, you can't stop...even more time to spend together in the woods though :)