PDA

View Full Version : What does "The true spirit of Bushcraft" mean?

AlexRowan
29-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm new here but have lurked on another site for a while. This looks like a great forum but I wondered if someone could explain what the quote at top right of the main page means?

"The true spirit of Bushcraft"

The reason I ask is that on first look, it actually put me off the site but then I thought perhaps I had misunderstood?

Is it in reference to this:

"NaturalBushcraft is a project to provide a free bushcraft resource available to everyone, as many people cannot afford the prices of bushcraft instruction.
In our current climate, we think it is important that this information is available to all regardless of age or status. Best wishesAshley Cawley"

Martin
29-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Think you've hit the nail on the head Alex. And, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. :)

Martin

comanighttrain
29-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Spirit of bushcraft.....Meths?

Welcome to the forum.

andy202wr
29-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Personaly I belive "The true spirit of Bushcraft" is learning or inventing something new and sharing with other fellow bushcrafters your findings and ideas. And welcome on board the good ship Naturalbushcraft.

jus_young
29-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Welcome to NB Alex.

I think the statement 'True spirit of bushcraft' will mean different things to different individuals. For me personally, and having been a member of the forum for a while now, the meaning has developed over time with the input from like minded individuals on this forum. Their own experiences, travels and development of knowledge is freely shared on this site and you realise just what the environment around us has to offer and what responsibilities we have to our surroundings to ensure that we can continue to do so. There are many interesting characters here, probably on other sites that you have been on as well, but the atmosphere is relaxed and the folks are friendly (and a sense of humour helps :D ) so come and join us.

Silverback
29-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Welcome to NB Alex.

I think the statement 'True spirit of bushcraft' will mean different things to different individuals. For me personally, and having been a member of the forum for a while now, the meaning has developed over time with the input from like minded individuals on this forum. Their own experiences, travels and development of knowledge is freely shared on this site and you realise just what the environment around us has to offer and what responsibilities we have to our surroundings to ensure that we can continue to do so. There are many interesting characters here, probably on other sites that you have been on as well, but the atmosphere is relaxed and the folks are friendly (and a sense of humour helps :D ) so come and join us.

What he said.......in full and complete agreement. Welcome to the site Alex

CanadianMike
29-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Think you've hit the nail on the head Alex. And, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. :)

Martin

This coming from the head of the Natural Poshcraft clan.

Martin
29-07-2011, 02:29 PM
This coming from the head of the Natural Poshcraft clan.

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Martin

LandRoverMatt
29-07-2011, 03:53 PM
true spirit like doing it the proper way

Ben Casey
29-07-2011, 04:44 PM
I think I agree with everyone on what they say today for me it is sitting around the campfire having a natter and sharing info :)

CanadianMike
29-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Ya, opening up and sharing info, tips, etc. the general friendliness of that, the warmth and community of the interest of the outdoors, to me that is the natural feel of this site. No trolling, no pissing matches, everyone here is very friendly and adds to the community in their own unique way. That is "true spirit" of any community of similar interest.

AlexRowan
29-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and great answers. I must admit I was a little concerned that it meant "The True Spirit of Bushcraft - because everyone else has got it wrong and we know that our way is best".

Other sites that I've come across are plagued by people that think they own the definition to "Bushcraft" and there are a lot of pretentious gits out there. The fact that you've got a Poshcraft forum tells me that you've probably experienced the same thing!

Cheers everyone!

Edit to add: That's not to say that other sites aren't also very friendly, useful and contribute a lot to the hobby.

Tony1948
29-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Me anall Ben, get the pickup to the edge of the wood unload it get the camp set up fire on the go meal on and a good few tinis with friends.You wont have to walk to the wood at Marks place any moor we can take my truck right to the edge of the new one I can deliver you in comfort if you are ever back this way.Will you be at the Wilderness Gathering? if so Ill see you there,be good to meet up again.Marks spirit of BC is a good Brandy every on to there own,mines cider.Atb BEN dont do to mutch diging and keep off that FB them wimen dont under stand us and BC.Atb...........REMEMBER DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS...........TONY

Tony1948
29-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum,I think you mite have got the Poshcraft forum round you,re neck a bit,its a p;:s take between a couple of the guys, no malice involved.Atb..............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS..........TONY

Martin
29-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Hey Alex, I think the philosophy here is, 'Live and Let Live' or 'Treat Others As You'd Like To Be Treated'. Lots of us lead busy lives but find the balance that being in the outdoors makes life that bit more bearable.

Some on here, and other forums, want to live as minimalist as possible, which is great. Others want the perfect log cabin in the woods, which is equally great. Some of us, who like to travel light and walk long distances, are constantly exploring the lightest, most technically advanced kit. Is it 'Bushcraft'? I guess it is if you want it to be but I don't really care. I love getting out, into the 'wilderness' with great company. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
29-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Me anall Ben, get the pickup to the edge of the wood unload it get the camp set up fire on the go meal on and a good few tinis with friends.You wont have to walk to the wood at Marks place any moor we can take my truck right to the edge of the new one I can deliver you in comfort if you are ever back this way.Will you be at the Wilderness Gathering? if so Ill see you there,be good to meet up again.Marks spirit of BC is a good Brandy every on to there own,mines cider.Atb BEN dont do to mutch diging and keep off that FB them wimen dont under stand us and BC.Atb...........REMEMBER DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS...........TONY

Hi Tony Im planning to get back down thats for sure :) But first I forgot to say Hi when I posted so here is my HI :)
You will have to let me know when the next meet is and I will plan on getting down :) I have the wilderness Gathering in my planner so if all goes well I will get there and we can have aget together :) I have done nearly no BC since I got here so them there woods are calling me bad style.

Ashley Cawley
01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
What does "The true spirit of Bushcraft" mean?

I can understand how it could be perceived as being a little pretentious implying that we've got some sort of 'true bushcraft' where'as other communities don't - but it's not that at all.

Much like the term 'Bushcraft' our slogan The true spirit of Bushcraft is left quite open to each individual's interpretation. And it makes me proud to read the conclusions that some of our members have developed from it.

The true spirit of Bushcraft - Means to me: People freely sharing knowledge & skills about the Outdoors so we can all learn how to spend more time outdoors comfortably.

And that's why I created this site a few years ago as a hobby; to create a free/open platform that makes it easy for people to access information and learn.

Openness - Honesty - Friendship - Sharing - Learning - Adventure - Memories

Welcome to our community Alex
T^

Tony1948
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Well said Leader LoL and I agree with wot Martin said as well corr thats a first, atb to you all .............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS............TONY

markal17
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
bushcraft is what you think it is.bushcraft is what you make it
and how you feel
love life