PDA

View Full Version : My home made meths stove

dogrob
22-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Made using 2 coke cans some loft insulation and a drawing pin. Time taken 20 mins

jbrown14
25-07-2011, 02:23 AM
She's a beaut!
Congrats.

Josh

dogrob
26-07-2011, 09:43 AM
She's a beaut!
Congrats.

Josh

Thanks Josh, have since updated with more holes :-)

Realearner
27-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Well looked really cool so surfed the net and yes easy. So two cans a blunt craft knife and rusty pliers and a nail and yep built one too. Trying it later tonight as only just got meths.
Good stuff like these things where money is saved.

Adam Savage
27-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I find the penny stoves work better than some of the others that can be made. Nice job Rob.

paul standley
28-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Good job Rob... Penny stoves are an all-round favorite and generally push out a good amount of heat for their size.

Meths is a great fuel and there are loads of pressure & no-pressure stove designs on the forum so why not have a go with a few more ideas and let us know how you get on.

Paul

Savagewolfrm
28-07-2011, 08:43 PM
thats so cool, will be having ago myself at the weekend

Adam Savage
28-07-2011, 08:46 PM
thats so cool, will be having ago myself at the weekend

See you got the picture working lol. I thought you had made some stoves before?

Savagewolfrm
28-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Not yet I was very intrigued by your one you made with the water bottle flask thing, now that was class

LandRoverMatt
17-08-2011, 03:16 PM
well done

bigzee
22-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh dear someone else is hooked on "the blue flame"! I'ts like heroin you know - there's no way back now. Before you know it there'll be a garage or outhouse full of converted aluminium and prototype projects, in pursuit of the holy grail of methylated efficiency.
My name's Andy and I'm an alu-holic.

Adam Savage
22-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh dear someone else is hooked on "the blue flame"! I'ts like heroin you know - there's no way back now. Before you know it there'll be a garage or outhouse full of converted aluminium and prototype projects, in pursuit of the holy grail of methylated efficiency.

Listen to this man, he's telling the truth. I have no end of pop can, alu bottle, pellet tin, sweet tin, gas cartridge burners, kicking about. I can hardly move :).

paul standley
22-08-2011, 09:13 PM
My counciling seems to be working but i'm taking it a day at a time. I haven't made a stove/burner for 3 days now.

dogrob
23-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Lol, so true and v funny

Blu
09-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Made using 2 coke cans some loft insulation and a drawing pin. Time taken 20 mins

Excellent job, i've been meaning to make one of these for a while. Maybe you could show/describe how you did yours.

I've also heard that there is a "pressure" type and another one that is made from the smaller "red bull type" cans, anyone have any thoughts/info on this.

dogrob
10-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Excellent job, i've been meaning to make one of these for a while. Maybe you could show/describe how you did yours.

I've also heard that there is a "pressure" type and another one that is made from the smaller "red bull type" cans, anyone have any thoughts/info on this.

Hi blu,

If you type in "home made meths stove" on YouTube you will find loads of videos showing you how they are made and the red bull can type is one you can do although they only burn for half the time of one made with coke cans. The pressure type one is made with a coil and the flame heats the fuel and creates pressure which is forced through a small hole in the copper coil. Use caution when making one of these as hot meths under pressure may explode!

Let me know how you get on

cuppa joe
10-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Meths ...500ml £1.70 at Band M's.

Kieran
23-09-2011, 08:07 AM
I made a penny stove.. it's just a pain in the *** having to prime it! Any ideas on how I can do it easier than putting a lid under it from a old pickle jar and lighting fuel on that?

Adam Savage
23-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I made a penny stove.. it's just a pain in the *** having to prime it! Any ideas on how I can do it easier than putting a lid under it from a old pickle jar and lighting fuel on that?

Think that's about the only way, and certainly the most effective/efficient way.

dogrob
23-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Is it the same as the one i did? If so I just hold it in my fingers and heat it up underneath with a lighter! Either that or just put a little to much meths in the top and let it rip... With caution of course :-)

Don't use it a tent though!!