PDA

View Full Version : Kydex sheets

Savagewolfrm
19-07-2011, 09:14 PM
after looking on evilbay and having no luck i was hoping there might be someone on site who can help.
I am looking for some kydex sheets to make a couple of knife sheaths with so if anyone can help i would appreciate it

atb

Rick

Tony1948
19-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Rick, Y not use lether then when you've made it put hot wax on it. the lether go's hard, atb............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS............TONY

CanadianMike
20-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Was thinking similar, wet form the leather around the knife, it dries stiff as Kydex and keeps it's memory, but isn't water resistant unless you wax soak, but still.

On theother hand, Kydex is a brand name, there are other brand names for the same material, might even be easier to find. I asked our composites expert at work the same question, where to buy Kydex locally, he told me an alternate name and three different places he buys it from for his work on our aircraft, unfortunately I didn't write any of it down. Can ask again though, but am sure wikipedia can shed light on the other names for the same product.

Savagewolfrm
20-07-2011, 12:30 PM
thanks guys. I have used leather before and hot waxed etc, this little project I have is to wrap some around a sheath for a izula neck knife so that I can attach a firesteel and sharpener to this, ideally i would hope the sheath would withstand some heating, but its all trial and error lol, will probably end up making a new sheath for this little knife anyway, but again thanks for all the advice.

all the best

Rick

cajunwildbill
20-06-2012, 04:31 PM
knifekits.com different colors and thickness

AdrianRose
20-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Give Duncan Chandler a bell at Dorset Woodland Blades. He has mountains of the stuff.

Ade.

Tony1948
20-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Or WoodandKnifeSupply thats ware I get most of my gear now,Kydex,rivets and punches,great guy and verry helpfull.