PDA

View Full Version : hi all

kesom
18-07-2011, 12:32 PM
was looking to buy myself a new hammock and seen Ashley Cawley's DD's 2010 travel hammock review,great review,very thorough,he should be on a commission,i got one from DD's eBay shop with the sleeve included for £51 delivered,so very happy as with that and the review led me here
i grew up in Ireland and done a lot of hunting when i was younger,rabbit mostly but have been on pheasant shoots as a teenager and done a lot of fishing and camping too and after spending 15 years in london i just moved to south birmingham near the m5 last year and was finally able to get camping again so i started to get some kit together,
so far i've got a cheapo 3.5 x 2.7 dmp tarp(does a better job than some reviews of these ive seen but that said i aint had it out in too windy of conditions but it was less than a tenner :) ),around 100ft of para cord,60 ltr backpack,6mm insulation mat,2 season sleeping bag,a silk hammock(to be replaced by the DD travel hammock and the old faithful swiss army huntsman,i'm looking at some moora knives for the future but what i have now has done me on 2 double night trips i've had this year and i'm expecting the DD hammock to seriously improve things and hopefully i'll get out over the next week or so
had a good read of the hunting section and other parts of the forum and site last night and its very good,very informative and good to see everyone sharing knowledge :)
i'm thinking now about getting myself an air rifle but know nada about them but i'm going to read the forum section on them now to get some sort of idea
what i'm aiming for eventually would to be able to go for a few days trip with shooting rights near my camp or just shooting rights somewhere close to home :innocent:

i'm sure i'll find out all i need to know here and its good to meet you all :)

peace K :)

Martin
18-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Hey Kesom, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
18-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Kesom, welcome to the NB community. You seem to be getting off to a good start with your kit, just remember, no matter how much kit you gather, there is always more trying to seduce you round the corner (see Martin's kit for reference :p). In all seriousness, it doesn't metter if you have all the kit, as long as you are safe, comfortable and enjoy your time out.

As you seem to of noticed already, feel free to ask advice if you need any. Everyone on here has something to share and they are all a top bunch of lads and lasses.

Adam

Tony1948
18-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi Kesom,welcome to the forum, atb............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS..............TONY

Matt
18-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey K,

a very warm :welcome:,

Matt.

Martin
18-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Kesom, welcome to the NB community. You seem to be getting off to a good start with your kit, just remember, no matter how much kit you gather, there is always more trying to seduce you round the corner (see Martin's kit for reference :p). In all seriousness, it doesn't metter if you have all the kit, as long as you are safe, comfortable and enjoy your time out.

As you seem to of noticed already, feel free to ask advice if you need any. Everyone on here has something to share and they are all a top bunch of lads and lasses.

Adam

Don't listen to a word he says, he's a fraud you know. ;)

Actually, I really believe that I have the perfect combination of kit and haven't bought anything new for months. I have been into numerous shops and looked at all sorts on-line but I find that I appear to have hit the wall in terms of kit. Some of it is top dollar ultra light weight and some of it is really cheap old surplus stuff and it works great. And, some might not believe this, but I have actually made a few items myself and I'm chuffed with those bits too.

Only you will know when you have just the right kit for any given circumstances. Pehaps you never get it quite right but you can get pretty close. :)

Martin

jus_young
18-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi and welcome to NB from me! A little bit of advice when it comes to the gear - watch out for SKS, there is no cure.

kesom
19-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Adam
thanks for the warm welcome adam and the heads up about martin lol :evilgrin:
couldnt agree with you more on the kit,i try and only decide when i'm out about improvements or upgrades,i'm pretty happy with what ive got till the weather gets a bit colder but i'll have to limit my time in the review section here to avoid any impulse buy's lol :)

Hi Kesom,welcome to the forum, atb............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS..............TONY
thank you tony,will keep an eye out for the teddie's :)

Hey K,

a very warm :welcome:,

Matt.
thank you matt for the welcome :)

Don't listen to a word he says, he's a fraud you know. ;)

Actually, I really believe that I have the perfect combination of kit and haven't bought anything new for months. I have been into numerous shops and looked at all sorts on-line but I find that I appear to have hit the wall in terms of kit. Some of it is top dollar ultra light weight and some of it is really cheap old surplus stuff and it works great. And, some might not believe this, but I have actually made a few items myself and I'm chuffed with those bits too.

Only you will know when you have just the right kit for any given circumstances. Pehaps you never get it quite right but you can get pretty close. :)

Martin
hi martin,thank you for the warm welcome :)
ive seen a lot of your posts now and you seem to have it well under control ;)
as you say,kits down to circumstances,i have a 4 man regatta tent and a gas cooker which only get used when I'm driving to camp and bringing kids to a campsite :)
i think the only new addition's to my kit until September unless my tarp fails which i doubt will be a mora knife for anything too heavy for my huntsman and more control and a small trowel maybe,my DD hammock came in the post this morning so i'm all set for my next trip,hopefully over the weekend :)

Hi and welcome to NB from me! A little bit of advice when it comes to the gear - watch out for SKS, there is no cure.
hi jus,thank you for the welcome and the heads up :)