PDA

View Full Version : Hello

nat110732
17-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi,
I have stumbled across this great site after planning a 'father/son' bonding trek with my 12 yr old son this summer and how it has opened my eyes already!!
I hope our questions don't seem too stupid:ashamed: but we are really excited about our trip and I have already found some invaluable info lurking around this forum:happy-clapping:

cheers nat n son:mad2:

Martin
17-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey Nat, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. Where abouts are you all based?

Martin

Tony1948
17-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Hi nat welcome to the forum,good luck with you'r bonding trek with you'r son atb..............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS...................TONY

nat110732
17-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks Martin & Tony1948, thats just reminded me to sort out avitar n sig!!
From Notts/derbys border so pretty cental to most things really, looking at a fews days around Derwent/Ladybower res's/Bleaklow area to break us in gently! Thinking about DD frontlines, tarps and popcan stoves to get us going but gonna trawl the site 1st and plan methodically accordingly.
cheers nat

J_P
17-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the site buddy, every journey starts with but a single foot step, this is your first foot step and i think you can already see more of a big giant leap that n step lol, be safe and enjoy it buddy good luck on your trip!!

Silverback
17-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Derwent/Ladybower res's/Bleaklow area to break us in gently! .

Welcome Nat...and by the way theres nothing gentle about Bleaklow - especiallty after heavy rain...watch out for the bog monsters

nat110732
17-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks J_P & Sapper4083, been caught out slightly on Kinder scout before when the mist dropped!!! bog monsters and B17's!! J_P youre about the giant leap!

Silverback
17-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks J_P & Sapper4083, been caught out slightly on Kinder scout before when the mist dropped!!! bog monsters and B17's!! J_P youre about the giant leap!

Anyone who says they have never been caught out on Kinder is a liar ;). Both Kinder and Bleaklow are notoriously navigationally challenging and can catch out even the most experienced navigators (Bleaklow is right on my doorstep). I spend an awful lot of time on Bleaklow and Kinder.... usually in abysmal weather, and usually to help the lost and injured.

Matt
18-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Hey Nat and son,

a warm welcome to NaturalBushcraft, be sure to check out the main website too :)

Regards,

Matt.

nat110732
18-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes Sapper we certainly got caught out! i had gone with acouple of friends to take pics for my C&G photography and what started out as the perfect day, clear as a bell, changed menacingly when a mist dropped fron nowhere, when you are in those peaty troughs with no visible landmark...it was tense to say the least! We accidentally stumbled across Kinder downfall and made our way down the nearest clough! I am under no illusions that Bleaklow will be easy but i have read about a nice 5 1/2 hr yomp from glossop to the B17 wreckage and memorial and back, are you familiar with this area ? cheers nat

nat110732
18-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi matt, thanks for the welcome. i have had a couple of browses on the main site, what a wealth of info,got a lot of homework to do me thinks!!
Hey Nat and son,

a warm welcome to NaturalBushcraft, be sure to check out the main website too :)

Regards,

Matt.

jus_young
18-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi and welcome to NB from me

Silverback
18-07-2011, 11:53 PM
i have read about a nice 5 1/2 hr yomp from glossop to the B17 wreckage and memorial and back, are you familiar with this area ? cheers nat

Err Just a bit....maybe a little too familiar. I find myself up ther in the dark and bad weather far too often - in fact I was on the northern edges of Bleaklow this evening

The wreck is actually a B-29 Superfortress called 'Over Exposed' (i think) that went down in bad weather. Its in the general area of Higher Shelf Stones - a fairly easy stroll from the A57 Snake summit

nat110732
19-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi jus-young
Hi and welcome to NB from me

nat110732
19-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Sapper,
Thanks for the pm mate....yes maybe too familiar! Is there much of the wreck left do you know?

Silverback
19-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi Sapper,
Thanks for the pm mate....yes maybe too familiar! Is there much of the wreck left do you know?

Oh yes to quote that famous dog. Some large bits, undercarriage legs, engines. A lot of it was looted though, which is quite sad when you think that these wrecks are actually classed as graves - so taking anything is illegal

nat110732
19-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Practically grave-robbing! I just thought it would make quite a poignant photo

Silverback
19-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Practically grave-robbing! I just thought it would make quite a poignant photo

I have a snap i took somewhere of the little wooden crosses that are there - makes you think. Google the name theres loads of info on the web about it. There are some more interesting sites in the Peak with large bits of wreckage not far from Bleaklow too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maycontaintracesofnuts/2857081758/

not my photos and worth a look

nat110732
19-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Ironically thats why we got to be on Kinder that fateful day, one of the party was sure there was some wreckage up there somewhere but as you know we never found owt(even if there was!!). Just watched some footage on liveleaks of the 'Overexposed'' , must say it does look a bit eerie tho...ta for the link, having a poke about now
I have a snap i took somewhere of the little wooden crosses that are there - makes you think. Google the name theres loads of info on the web about it. There are some more interesting sites in the Peak with large bits of wreckage not far from Bleaklow too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maycontaintracesofnuts/2857081758/

not my photos and worth a look