PDA

View Full Version : need wood turning?

fish
09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
i have now got a pro lathe and am willing to make simple stuff for folk if they need it ,this isnt for money just to help out where i can .so feel free to ask and ille tell you if i can make it.

Bernie
11-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Where are you Fish? Cornwall, Devon, elsewhere? I've made a few things for people as well, but getting it to them is sometimes the biggest issue for me.

fish
12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
wilts,somerset,dorset border mate. anyone want a honey diper! lol

Bernie
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd really like to see your lathe and or what you've made with it. I'm always keen to swap knowledge (learn and teach). Mostly I'm learning, but you never know, I might know a thing or two others don't (okay, probably only the one thing, but still).

Martin
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Don't let Bernie's modesty fool you!! He made a lovely cup for me which is always the centre of attention wherever I take it. He also made one for Ashley, which also gets a lot of comments, but mainly 'cos it's so small. :D

Martin

PS, incidentally Bernie, can you remember what wood you used for our cups? People always ask and I can never remember.

Bernie
13-07-2011, 05:57 AM
PS, incidentally Bernie, can you remember what wood you used for our cups? People always ask and I can never remember.

They're both made from one piece of Ash. Ash has the cup and you have the "beaker". Glad you like them. :)

Martin
13-07-2011, 12:25 PM
They're both made from one piece of Ash. Ash has the cup and you have the "beaker". Glad you like them. :)

Thanks Mate, I'll be sure to remeber, and I absolutely love my beaker, it's one of my favourite posessions. :)

Martin

Bernie
14-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Let's get this thread back on topic. Have you got anything to show Fish? If not, it might help if you could suggest the sort of things you could do for people because it's harder to imagine "anything" made on a lathe. For example, things I've made are: Beakers, cups, hobo handlines, plates, and of course, bowls.

Skate
16-07-2011, 10:18 AM
As a fellow woodturner I would be interested in seeing some of your stuff as well Fish. Seen Bernies work and agree it is to a very high standard. I wonder if us "electric" turners are frowned upon by the "pole" boys.

JonnyP
16-07-2011, 10:52 AM
As a fellow woodturner I would be interested in seeing some of your stuff as well Fish. Seen Bernies work and agree it is to a very high standard. I wonder if us "electric" turners are frowned upon by the "pole" boys.

Not at all.. I use both.
You just cannot (very easily) take the electric lathe to the woods. Working in the woods is much more fun.

luresalive
17-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Fish, what about turning simple cigar shaped wooden handles with a hole down the centre for Mora and lauri blades etc, that way people could make a simple knife with a nice wooden handle rather than the painted red ones you get on the mora classic.

fish
17-07-2011, 07:51 PM
i havent turned a lot of stuff i have been making dozens of my hunter handlines and been messing about making dibbers,dippers,rolling pins,pull cord bottoms,fishing reel,and a few other bits,just thaught i might be able to help,i am in no way an expert but most things 'turn' ok ok!

luresalive
17-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I was thinking of a simple shape like in the link below, maybe in nice native woods like oak, walnut, elm, birch..I'd buy a couple if the price was right, if you turned handlines.. then the cigar shape shouldn't pose any problems ,,anyway it was just a thought.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?130295-30-minute-knife

)hope it's OK to link to this , mods, if not please remove)

fish
18-07-2011, 12:00 PM
looks simple enough will give it a go.