PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...

Humakt
08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
So, GB Wildlife hatchet, or GB Small forest axe?

Martin
08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Neither.

Martin

RobbC
08-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Ignore Martin, he's somwhat against axes;). Ive got the small forest axe, and it is amazing. Either way you will get a fantastic axe.

Robb

scorpian
08-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Neither.

Martin

I am with martin on this one, and prefer a large knife, like the Chris Caines survival tool, amsaving up for one, until then my kabar kukri will do the job.

Steve

JEEP
08-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Small Forest Axe, the Wildlife Hatches is too small and lightweight imho.

Metal mug
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Neither.

Martin Ah, you see Martin's waiting for the the new titanium small forest axe. ;)

Martin
09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
To add to my obtuse, but light hearted reply of earlier; I always ask the question, 'What do you want to do with the axe?' and 'Why do you want to spend all that money on a GB axe?'.

I'm not aware that bushcraft in the UK requires or even encourages the felling of trees and if it did I would suggest that a saw would be a better tool for the job. If it's for cutting wood to put on the fire, then why bother cutting it? The fire will do a fine job on its own. Other than that, I can't think of many (any) tasks that are done better with an axe than with a good knife.

Of course, if an axe is seen as a nice accessory to hang on the belt or on the outside of you pack then go for the small forest axe, as more people will see it. ;)

Martin

JEEP
09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I can't vouch for the UK, but here in Denmark you need an axe for splitting wood at our many open campsites. To avoid theft (a serious problem actually) most of the free firewood to be found at open campsites are whole trunks cut to lenghts between 0,5-1 m. Varying from 10-30 cm. in diameter. For this you will need a mid - large sized axe.

The consequence of this however, is that because most people do not carry axes, people set fire to whole logs at a time to cook a meal. This leads to two problems; overuse/abuse of recourses (often there is no more firewood to be found at the open campsites by mid season - and with the firewood gone, people start vandalizing nearby trees) and large burning/smoldering logs to be left by campers.

This could be solved by actively encourageing people to bring axes. But, this will hopefully not happen, as experience shows that of those who does bring axes, about 50% seem to be suffering from the idle hands syndrome aswell as a well below average intelligence, causing them to use their axes to vandalize nearby trees and permanent furniture.

Whether you need an axe is all about where you are going and what you will be doing there.
Personally I bring an axe (similar to the GB SFA) when I camp out at the open campsites (which are the only places I would dream of starting af campfire), when hiking in public lands (where campfires are prohibited) I do not bother carrying an axe - as I have no use for it. I do however always carry my leuku.

Most bushcrafters suffer from the "Ray Mears Syndrome", causing them to want to bring out the whole tool chest, every time they ventrue out in The Nature. I used to do this - but soon got tired of hauling around heavy kit which I really did not need. Bushcraft it not about tools, it is about knowledge - including the knowledge of which tools to bring when and where.

Woodwose
11-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Both, ;)
although I would buy the husky hatchet and the larger GB Forest axe.
Reason why is the little husky hatchet is a lot cheaper and nearly the same spec as the wildlife hatchet. Great for splitting and carving.
The SFA was the axe of choice on a timber framing course I did, a great utility axe. I have used both the SFA and the larger forest axe for felling and snedding softwoods. Comparing both for that task, then the larger forest axe is the one to purchase.
I always have an axe or two when in the woods, but that’s my way. Each to their own.:wink: