PDA

View Full Version : Trekmates Volcano Stove

Adam Savage
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
The Blurb...

The Trekmates Volcano stove provides a compact lightweight cooking solution for all outdoor adventures.

Lightweight

Robust construction

Easy grip control

Folding arms and heat control for maximum compactness

No priming, pressurising or maintenance required

Adjustable gas flow

Weight: 105g

Fuel type. runs on valved gas canisters

http://www.trekmates.co.uk/repository/documents/images/products/zoom/377.jpg

Boiling time for 1 litre of water = 2.35 minutes

100g canister burn time on full flame = 27 minutes

Can be purchased here (http://www.outdoorgear4u.co.uk/category/tents-camping/portable-stoves-cookers/trek-mates-volcano-stove.php)

My penny's worth...

I tested this stove at the weekend, while out and about on Dartmoor. Initial results were impressive. Boil time was completely accurate (when used with a wind shield) and the roar from the flame, seems to suggest high power output too. Easy to attach to a cartridge and relatively stable, if used on flat ground or dug into a small hole.

A WORD OF WARNING...

If you try to use this stove, with a close fitting wind shield, it will over heat the rubber gasket between burner and canister, causing it to soften and deform. This will result in a fuel leak and eventually ignition. It happened to me while out, but luckily I noticed it happen just in time.

Conclusion...

A great lightweight stove, but DO NOT use a windshield if you can help it. If you have to protect it from wind, choose a large shield and ensure it is at least 10 inches (250mm approx) from the canister/burner union.

chris grace
04-07-2011, 05:07 PM
It's not designed to be used with a windsheild.
It's a copy of the MSR pocket rocket and as such has a built in windshield,it's the little three armed thing sitting on the burner.
I have used these in the past and found them to be quite useless in wind without an extra windshield.

Adam Savage
04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
It's not designed to be used with a windsheild.
It's a copy of the MSR pocket rocket and as such has a built in windshield,it's the little three armed thing sitting on the burner.
I have used these in the past and found them to be quite useless in wind without an extra windshield.

Correct to an extent, the manufacturers claim the "windclip" on top of the burner to aid against light wind effects. And yes it is pretty much identical burner wise, as the MSR pocket rocket and the Highlander compact gas stove.

JEEP
04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
This stove is manufactured, for Trekmates, by the Italian company Providus+

Personally I have mixed experiences with Providus+ products, from both owning a few and selling them at the store - mostly negative experiences I am afraid.