PDA

View Full Version : Ten Tors Challenge The Revenge!!!

Martin
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, still glowing and aching somewhat from the first NBC Ten Tors Challenge, I reckon it's time to start planning the next trip.

There were four of us on this trip and I still reckon we could manage up to six in a group before it gets too large.

You have seen the original thread, you've seen the Dartmoor videos, you've read all we have to say on the place, so, if you fancy it, stick your name down for the next trip.

Could make it sometime in September when the weather is still pretty good but the days are a little shorter and the nights a little cooler. Who's up for it??

Martin

Metal mug
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Count me in Martin. There is a Exmoor meet in September but that's my only set plan for the month.

Metal mug
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Will it be the same route? :confused:

Martin
04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Will it be the same route? :confused:

Well, depends on who's going I suppose. Wasn't a bad place to start, which meant that we could tailor the route to the conditions and know we were never more that four or five hours from the end. What did you think of the route we did?

Martin

Kieran
04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Well, depends on who's going I suppose. Wasn't a bad place to start, which meant that we could tailor the route to the conditions and know we were never more that four or five hours from the end. What did you think of the route we did?

Martin

I loved it! No aches either! :D

Kieran
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm up for a walk round Dartmoor again! :D :D :D

Raven
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
i'll be up for a little wander mart, count me in!

Metal mug
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I liked the route. :)

MikeWilkinson
04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Just asking for the wifes permission, might need some more details to organise getting help with kids whilst I'm away!! But a most likley yes!

Martin
05-07-2011, 08:28 AM
i'll be up for a little wander mart, count me in!

You'll be most welcome Paul, just don't expect a 'little wander'. Expect something between 35 and 45 miles over the course of the two days. ;)

Martin

Metal mug
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
What sort of date in September is the walk taking place?

Martin
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
What sort of date in September is the walk taking place?

No idea at this stage Jack, however, there are only four weekends in September so if this goes ahead it will be one of those. To be serious for a minute, it will depend upon when everyone is available. Do you have any preference?

Sorry can't be more specific at this stage.

Martin

Metal mug
05-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Well the Exmoor meet is scheduled for the 16th,17th,18th of September, so those are the only dates I can't really make.

Tom Bombadil
05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I'd like to join in - achilles permitting, which it had better do or I'm going without it!

Kieran
05-07-2011, 08:29 PM
are you planning on having a base camp or anything this time?

Martin
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM
are you planning on having a base camp or anything this time?

Any particular reason Kieran? What did you have in mind?

Martin

jus_young
05-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I could be up for this one but I have to be honest and say that my current fitness level is not up to the mark. I have every intention to sort this one out as the college job after five years has had its toll. The dreaded smokes will have to go, but then that was on the cards anyway, but a bike accident a couple of years ago left me with prolapsed discs in my back and its been a long time repairing but now well on the mend. At this stage I would ask that you count me in but I will be honest with myself and straight with everyone else going and, nearer to the time, if I think I will hold you lot back at any stage I will pull out before the walk.

Martin
05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Well, I could be up for this one but I have to be honest and say that my current fitness level is not up to the mark. I have every intention to sort this one out as the college job after five years has had its toll. The dreaded smokes will have to go, but then that was on the cards anyway, but a bike accident a couple of years ago left me with prolapsed discs in my back and its been a long time repairing but now well on the mend. At this stage I would ask that you count me in but I will be honest with myself and straight with everyone else going and, nearer to the time, if I think I will hold you lot back at any stage I will pull out before the walk.

Would be great if you could join us Jus. I think to be realistic, you would need to feel comfortable walking for around 15 miles per day carrying everything with you to live for a couple of days. Rucksack weights of in the region of 15Kg are to be expected (more or less depends on you, but you must be safe) and we walk at around 4 Km/hour. Other than that, the whole point is to enjoy the time spent in some of the most beautiful and uncrowded countryside the south west has to offer, so we're not looking to prove that we can join the commandos, just to have a great time exploring the moors.

Martin

jus_young
05-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Cheers Martin. Minds made up that this is definately a challenge I would love to do so training starts now! I'm not worried about the distance so much but as you said its the weight of the pack that will make the difference. I think a slimming programme is in order for the rucksack so I would be interested to find out what kit everyone took and used on your last outing.

Martin
05-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Cheers Martin. Minds made up that this is definately a challenge I would love to do so training starts now! I'm not worried about the distance so much but as you said its the weight of the pack that will make the difference. I think a slimming programme is in order for the rucksack so I would be interested to find out what kit everyone took and used on your last outing.

Ooh, well we were all pretty chuffed that we used everything we took with the exception of the emergency kit, like first aid kits, emergency rations etc.

Kieran's, Adam's and my kit lists are here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3rrt_mXt8VdFNLc3ktcjZkYVM2ZGthQzZBd0FiL Xc&hl=en_GB

I set off with about 4 litres of water in my two Platypus pouches which naturally added 4Kg to my base kit weight and I brought home some of the food I took, notably my boil in the bag breakfast and a large bag of peanuts. Between these two items there was around 1.5Kg in weight plus other uneaten food must have weighed in at over 2Kg in total. Having managed to cut down my other kit to very manageable levels, I must now concentrate on only bringing enough food and water to sensibly last me through the trip. Of course, it's no fun to go hungry but it makes no sense to bring loads of stuff home with you.

Martin

Kieran
06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Ooh, well we were all pretty chuffed that we used everything we took with the exception of the emergency kit, like first aid kits, emergency rations etc.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3rrt_mXt8VdFNLc3ktcjZkYVM2ZGthQzZBd0FiL Xc&hl=en_GB

I set off with about 4 litres of water in my two Platypus pouches which naturally added 4Kg to my base kit weight and I brought home some of the food I took, notably my boil in the bag breakfast and a large bag of peanuts. Between these two items there was around 1.5Kg in weight plus other uneaten food must have weighed in at over 2Kg in total. Having managed to cut down my other kit to very manageable levels, I must now concentrate on only bringing enough food and water to sensibly last me through the trip. Of course, it's no fun to go hungry but it makes no sense to bring loads of stuff home with you.

Martin

I used my first aid kit! :D

Martin
06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I used my first aid kit! :D

Actually, so did I as I used the antihistamine tablets. :)

Martin

jus_young
06-07-2011, 10:39 PM

Martin

Tried to access the document but apparently I don't have access so I have sent a permission request.

Martin
06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Tried to access the document but apparently I don't have access so I have sent a permission request.

Try this link then. :(

Martin

jus_young
06-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Try this link then. :(

Martin

Sorry Martin but it still says I don't have permission to view and asks for me to send a request to your gmail account

Raven
07-07-2011, 06:47 AM
well i'm still pretty active, have quit the cig's a while ago, so i think i can just about manage 15miles a day, going to have to slim down my kit tho, and get some walking boots!! but i'm in.

Martin
07-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Sorry Martin but it still says I don't have permission to view and asks for me to send a request to your gmail account

Weird! It's not my document but Kieran's. Maybe he has to give you the link?? Not too sure mate.

Martin

Martin
07-07-2011, 07:02 AM
well i'm still pretty active, have quit the cig's a while ago, so i think i can just about manage 15miles a day, going to have to slim down my kit tho, and get some walking boots!! but i'm in.

Ideal!! Look forward to seeing you there then. Whenever and wherever there is. ;)

Martin

jus_young
07-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Weird! It's not my document but Kieran's. Maybe he has to give you the link?? Not too sure mate.

Martin

Kieran - :please: could I have permission to view? I think the request probably went to you. Its the request with justin....gmail in the address.

Cheers

Kieran
07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3rrt_mXt8VdFNLc3ktcjZkYVM2ZGthQzZBd0FiL Xc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMGk5dsM

jus_young
07-07-2011, 08:48 PM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3rrt_mXt8VdFNLc3ktcjZkYVM2ZGthQzZBd0FiL Xc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMGk5dsM

:happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping:

IT WORKS!! Cheers mate

jus_young
07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Damn, if you stare at those clapping hands too long weird things start to happen...

Kieran
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
:happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping: :happy-clapping:

IT WORKS!! Cheers mate

No problems! :D
The only things I didn't use weighed under a kiloo easy!

dogrob
10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't mind coming along on this one if that's ok? What dates were you thinking?

jus_young
10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Had a very pleasant 8km walk today just to get some idea of pace and weaknesses in the kit. Got to say that the ruksack is damned comfortable, the pace felt pretty good (8km in about one and a half hours) but the boots seem to be a problem. Had the Karrimoors for a year now and wear them all the time but for some reason this time ended up with a tender heel. Has anyone tried any kind of sole inserts before? Recomendations would be appreciated as usual.
Feel sorry for the poor dog though, he is knackered!

Martin
10-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Dogrob, the date will be sometime in September, not too sure when but will not clash with the North Devon meet.

Jus, what sort of terrain were you walking over? When you say 'tender' how do you mean? Was it a blister or was it bruised? If walking on hard surface, e.g. tarmac or other mettled path then it's not altogether surprising that your heels are aching.

Martin

jus_young
10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Dogrob, the date will be sometime in September, not too sure when but will not clash with the North Devon meet.

Jus, what sort of terrain were you walking over? When you say 'tender' how do you mean? Was it a blister or was it bruised? If walking on hard surface, e.g. tarmac or other mettled path then it's not altogether surprising that your heels are aching.

Martin

Hi Martin

Mixed surface on this walk. Its a route I have done many times before but not with these boots. The last few times I did this route I was wearing steel toe cap boots, maybe I should consider these for Dartmoor? :confused:

I have had a look at the inards and found them to be very compressed in the sole area. The Karimoors seem to have a replaceable insert that is now as thin as a piece of paper where the heel is as opposed to relatively thick still around the sides. I am going to look into finding replacements this evening and see if that helps. I don't think the pace of the walk was a great help either as I was pushing along as a test of myself as well as the gear. I only had the issue on one foot as well. Other than that the boots are very good and have worn well over the time I have had them so I will see if I can find the solution for this one.

dogrob
10-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Cheers Martin,

Well I'm self employed so I'm fairly flexible, there's only one weekend that may cause a small issue for me but nothing that means I couldn't come along. How many are going so far?

Martin
10-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Cheers Martin,

Well I'm self employed so I'm fairly flexible, there's only one weekend that may cause a small issue for me but nothing that means I couldn't come along. How many are going so far?

No idea at this stage mate. You never really know until the day before. Four is a nice number to walk with, as well as to camp with. Six is about the most you would really want to undertake something like this with but, if there are more, then we could split into two groups. I suspect we won't have that problem. :)

Martin

dogrob
10-07-2011, 10:48 PM
No idea at this stage mate. You never really know until the day before. Four is a nice number to walk with, as well as to camp with. Six is about the most you would really want to undertake something like this with but, if there are more, then we could split into two groups. I suspect we won't have that problem. :)

Martin

Right then count me in on this one, I have shown an interest in the meet at Exmoor although not sure on definite dates and a location for that one. Will probably just turn up for it when there's a date set in stone as its on a camp site with no booking needed.

I went through the rather lengthy thread for the first ten tors walk and it looks like you were going to camp in a wood and use it for a base camp but that got cancelled? Is the wood somewhere you use on a regular basis for these meets?

Rob

Adam Savage
11-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure if I want to subject my body to the abuse of the moor again ;), but I wouldn't mind setting up camp along the route. Like an emergency refill station where you stopped for the night. A few litres of clean water, first aid top-ups (pain killers, antihistamines, plasters, etc.), maybe organise a fried breakfast for the morning. Just an idea. Let me know if you would be interested Martin.

Adam.

Ichneumon
11-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Good idea Adam. Though providing breakfast for them might not be in the spirit of Ten Tors. If Martin decides he likes your idea, I'm with you -other committments permitting. We could check them in at a few tors, carry off the wounded and provide any other support they need.

Paul

Martin
11-07-2011, 08:25 AM
What about if we lower our sights a tad and go for one of the 35 mile routes? Would that be more to your liking? It would be great if we acheived that instead. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
11-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Good idea Adam. Though providing breakfast for them might not be in the spirit of Ten Tors. If Martin decides he likes your idea, I'm with you -other committments permitting. We could check them in at a few tors, carry off the wounded and provide any other support they need.

Paul

I like the idea of cutting across the moor from Tor to Tor, to say hello and offer support as they fly past. Good thinking.

What about if we lower our sights a tad and go for one of the 35 mile routes? Would that be more to your liking? It would be great if we acheived that instead. :)

Martin

I would concider a 35 miler, but dependant on the numbers. I.E., if there is enough for one team (but not two) I would sit out, and if someone can't make it/backs out I would fill in. However, I am keen on Paul's idea too haha.

dogrob
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
35 miles sounds ok to me, I have an idea of my fitness levels and im pretty sure I could do 45 without any major probs but 35 sounds more achievable. I must say my knees suffered last time I walked down Snowdon but we did descend to fast with loads of weight on our backs!

jus_young
11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I was looking towards the challenge of the 45 miler but would be happy to do 35 as a training session ;)

Seriously, I think a 35 mile stint would do me fine. It would take some of the pressure off day one and allow a little more time to enjoy the experience. Next time round could be the 45 mile one then :D

Geordie_9
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi, I would be up for this depending on the dates in September it looked like you all had a good time on the last one.

Metal mug
21-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Has there been any thought on the date yet? :confused2:

dogrob
21-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Has there been any thought on the date yet? :confused2:

Is it still happening??

Martin
21-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Is it still happening??

Of course it's still happening. Sometime in September, not the same weekend as the N Devon meet but another one. How much more detail do you need? ;)

Martin

dogrob
21-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Of course it's still happening. Sometime in September, not the same weekend as the N Devon meet but another one. How much more detail do you need? ;)

Martin

Not to much Martin, do you think it will be the start or end of the month or are you doing one of these doodle pole thingys? Im fairly flexible on dates.

Looking forward to it as well :-)

Martin
21-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Not to much Martin, do you think it will be the start or end of the month or are you doing one of these doodle pole thingys? Im fairly flexible on dates.

Looking forward to it as well :-)

I think the Doodle thing is a good idea, I'll try to sort something out sooner rather than later. Any particular dates you'd like to avoid Rob??

Martin

dogrob
21-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I think the Doodle thing is a good idea, I'll try to sort something out sooner rather than later. Any particular dates you'd like to avoid Rob??

Martin

Well the only weekend I would like to avoid is on the 24th but may be able to do if thats what everyone else wants.

Martin
26-07-2011, 02:06 PM
So, I've finally got round to setting up a Doodle poll for the Ten Tors Challenge in September. Click on this link, select your preferred date and, depending on numbers, we'll pick the date that most people can make.

http://www.doodle.com/9umvkhu5cinqmnv4

Martin

dogrob
26-07-2011, 07:48 PM
So, I've finally got round to setting up a Doodle poll for the Ten Tors Challenge in September. Click on this link, select your preferred date and, depending on numbers, we'll pick the date that most people can make.

http://www.doodle.com/9umvkhu5cinqmnv4

Martin

Ok Martin I have voted :-)

Martin
26-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok Martin I have voted :-)

Well done mate, not narrowing things down too much at the moment. :D I reckon, if everyone is free for both dates, that it would be best to choose the earliest date as that will give us quite a bit more day light and the best chance of good weather.

Martin

Adam Savage
26-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Voted. I was going to put Saturday 10th and Sunday 25th, thought it might give me a bit of a rest in between :p

Martin
26-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Voted. I was going to put Saturday 10th and Sunday 25th, thought it might give me a bit of a rest in between :p

:D

Martin

dogrob
26-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Great thats 3 already :D

jus_young
28-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Great thats 3 already :D

Make that 4 :D

Martin
28-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I know Kieran was quite keen on a return visit and someone called Ross has stuck his name down on the Doodle but for the second weekend. I have a strong feeling that we will be going for the first weekend, mainly because the days will be a bit longer and the weather is likely to be better, but also because Adam can't make the second weekend and he is one of the original team members.

Hopefully, Ross can rearrange things to make it on the first weekend.

What does everyone feel about booking the Fox Tor Café bunk house again for the Friday night??

Martin

Adam Savage
28-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Fox Tor sounds good Martin.

Metal mug
28-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Done.

Martin
28-07-2011, 08:46 PM
But you got the wrong dates Jack. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
28-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Martin

Dates work differently in Jacks world. He's on a reverse calendar, loosely based on the Mayan decimal system...

Martin
28-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Dates work differently in Jacks world. He's on a reverse calendar, loosely based on the Mayan decimal system...

True, but looks like you may need to reconsider your use of the Gregorian calender Adam. You're looking a bit isolated on the first weekend mate. It would appear that warmer and longer days are not to everyone's liking. ;)

Martin

Metal mug
28-07-2011, 08:57 PM

MartinI know sorry. ;) Adam if your commitment is work related, could we "accidentally" kidnap you? :D

Adam Savage
28-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I know sorry. ;) Adam if your commitment is work related, could we "accidentally" kidnap you? :D

I will look into the dates and see what I can juggle up. That and a visit to Stonehenge to re-calibrate my calendar. Those pagans knew more than me about these things...;)

Geordie_9
29-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi,

I could only do the second week as I am not too sure SWMBO would appreciate me missing our wedding anniverary...... I could say I am taking her away for a surprise weekend :D

Ross

Martin
29-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I could only do the second week as I am not too sure SWMBO would appreciate me missing our wedding anniverary...... I could say I am taking her away for a surprise weekend :D

Ross

Aha!! Ross. Well looks like you're not in the minority. Just realised, it's my wedding anniversary today. :D

Martin

jus_young
29-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Aha!! Ross. Well looks like you're not in the minority. Just realised, it's my wedding anniversary today. :D

Martin

I did this one. She reminded me by saying 'happy anniversary dear, you forgot didn't you'. Couldn't escape that one and paid for it ever since!

Metal mug
29-07-2011, 01:55 PM
I did this one. She reminded me by saying 'happy anniversary dear, you forgot didn't you'. Couldn't escape that one and paid for it ever since!You could say that your new years resolution was to forget important dates. ;)