PDA

View Full Version : I Could Do With A Little Teaspoon... I Know, I'll Make One !

mstaines
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Needed a little teaspoon for my brew kit and hadn't yet carved my first spoon. So whilst at my sisters BBQ, having been asked to chop the wood for the firepit (She didn't have to ask me twice), I decided to start whittling...

And here it is, my first ever carved spoon (11cm long... or short)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0264.jpg http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0266.jpg

Just need to soak it in Linseed Oil, then make a brew :happy-clapping:

Tony1948
04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Dont put it in linseed oil it tastes ored,I put my in cold coffee over night,no milk or sugar mutch better,try it alb..........dont get eaten by the bears..........TONY

luresalive
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
very nice job, well done

mstaines
04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Dont put it in linseed oil it tastes ored,I put my in cold coffee over night,no milk or sugar mutch better,try it alb..........dont get eaten by the bears..........TONY

Oh... Might be too late... However, I couldnt find Linseed Oil, so used Walnut Oil... Will that still taste ored !!!

CanadianMike
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Congrats, looks great. Try bees wax or something similar (food grade salad bowl finish) instead of oil. Even after oiling. Lol

Tony1948
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I dont use enny oil baste prodocked on some thing I'm going to stire my first cupper in the morring with.Walnut oil would be allright I think,try it and let us now.Atb

Ashley Cawley
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Looks great - nice work
T^
I wouldn't worry yourself too much about the oil - just boil the kettle and swish it about in boiling water for a while, it'll soon work out it's excess. Either that or when it's dry give it a light sanding and then use something else. Tea or coffee staining can give quite a nice effect.

MikeWilkinson
04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice one Mick, I just use Olive Oil, does the job for me.

mstaines
05-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all your comments guys... I think the thing to do here, is just try it and see, then report back !

mstaines
05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I kind of used the advice given by a couple of you (Please dont be offended if you weren't one of the chosen few... It was down to what I could lay my hands on at the time...) and here are the results...

BEFORE............................................ ........ AFTER
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0266.jpg http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0273.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0264.jpg http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0272.jpg

I ended up soaking overnight in Walnut Oil (The spoon, not me...), then sanding lightly, before soaking in cold coffee...

Thanks for all your suggestions, Im really chuffed with my little spoon and cant wait to use it on a good old Lancashire brew !!!

feebullet
06-07-2011, 06:50 PM
looks great! so your brewing up enough for everyone here right????

JonnyP
06-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Never use linseed oil for spoons, (unless its food grade linseed oil) its got nasties in with it. Also olive oil is not good either. It certainly is food grade, but it can easily go rancid.
Walnut oil is very good to use though.
Tung oil can be used too.

dave budd
07-07-2011, 07:00 AM
i think most of us that make/use wooden treen a lot use walnut oil or food grade linseed (aka flax seed) oil. Like jonny says, olive oil will go rancid and sticky and boiled linseed oil will likely poison you. I've tried tung oilonce but it was like licking a picnic table after treating it!

Sothese days I use flaxseed oil. Go to a farmers/equestrian shop and get it in sensible amounts for a sesible price rather than a hippy food shop ;) or use walnut oil,it smells nicer.

mstaines
07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
i think most of us that make/use wooden treen a lot use walnut oil or food grade linseed (aka flax seed) oil. Like jonny says, olive oil will go rancid and sticky and boiled linseed oil will likely poison you. I've tried tung oilonce but it was like licking a picnic table after treating it!

Sothese days I use flaxseed oil. Go to a farmers/equestrian shop and get it in sensible amounts for a sesible price rather than a hippy food shop ;) or use walnut oil,it smells nicer. Thanks for the info... luckily I went for Walnut oil and I know have sufficient for my next 20 spoons or so.... Happy days !

andy202wr
18-07-2011, 01:19 PM
What if like me you dont do coffee and just drink tea. What do you use instead.

jus_young
18-07-2011, 10:42 PM
What if like me you dont do coffee and just drink tea. What do you use instead.

A tea bag :)

mazmann
31-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Did you use a hook knife?

I want to do a bit of whittling and make a spoon/ mug, but don't have a hook knife.

I have looked in B&Q etc, don't like the idea of buying online.

Not because I am a luddite just that I've spent a bit already and my wife isn't as bushcrafty as I would like.

Mike

LandRoverMatt
31-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Nice looking spoon mate, love making spoons but normally add a dab of olive oil to my spoons :)

MikeWilkinson
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I've been doing a little spoon carving myself these last few months, here are my most recent efforts.

Ben Casey
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Very nice :)

bikebum1975
10-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Did you use a hook knife?

I want to do a bit of whittling and make a spoon/ mug, but don't have a hook knife.

I have looked in B&Q etc, don't like the idea of buying online.

Not because I am a luddite just that I've spent a bit already and my wife isn't as bushcrafty as I would like.

Mike

If you have a dremel type tool you can use that for doing up the bowl portion. I don't have a hook knife yet myself tried this method worked out well.

Really love the way the spoon turned out Mate

Ashley Cawley
15-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I've been doing a little spoon carving myself these last few months, here are my most recent efforts.

2793Some beautiful spoons Mike, thanks for sharing.

rich290185
09-01-2012, 05:03 PM
So coffee for spoon finishing?????????