PDA

View Full Version : Map Cases

Jimmy69
03-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Is folding an OS map so the section you want is in the map case window some sort of dark art of origami?? :confused:

Just spent 15 minutes wrestling with a map of the Isle of Skye...tempted to fetch a pair of scissors! :ashamed:

Adam Savage
03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
It does take a bit of fiddling with a 1:25,000 scale map. I was shown today, by Martin, that a 1:50,000 has enough detail for 99% of any navigation. Having a larger scale map helps with the folding part, as there is twice as much chance of the bit you want being on a presentable section of the map. if you follow lol

Martin
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
As Adam said, we have just navigated for two days over Dartmoor with only a 1:50,000 map. The only detail that I miss on this scale is field boundaries which can be really useful.

I spent some time last weekend micro navigating for a basic ML qualification that I'm studying for and, once again, the 1:50,000 scale got me to precise points over distances of over 1km.

Anyway, to answer your original question; you will find it easier if you remove the cardboard cover. This will make it possible to fold it any way you like.

Martin

Jimmy69
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Ah, i get what you mean. Yeah i was using an Explorer OS map. In the end i just photocopied the section i needed and put the folded map in behind it lol.

Jimmy69
03-07-2011, 11:19 PM
you will find it easier if you remove the cardboard cover. This will make it possible to fold it any way you like.

Martin

He he, now thats a good idea. It's the main thing that's getting in the way! :)

Martin
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
He he, now thats a good idea. It's the main thing that's getting in the way! :)

Ha ha. It seems like a heresy to cut up your pristine new map but it's the only way. ;)

Martin

Humakt
04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Ah ha ha ha!
I have a very cunning way around this that is so simple it's genius.
No more having to cut up maps, no more having to think how to fold them!

It's simple. All you do is...

...stick it on the colour photocopier at work and copy the bit you need!

jus_young
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Ah ha ha ha!
I have a very cunning way around this that is so simple it's genius.
No more having to cut up maps, no more having to think how to fold them!

It's simple. All you do is...

...stick it on the colour photocopier at work and copy the bit you need!

:shocked: COPYRIGHT

:D

Martin
04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Of course, technically and actually, photocopying the map for your own use is a breach of crown copyright. Realistically, I can't see Ordnance Survey getting too upset if you copy a section of the map that you have purchased for your own use.

On the subject of the cardboard cover, the maps used to have dotted line to cut along to make the cover the same size as the map when folded. I still find it easier to take the whole lot off and, if you're careful, you can separate the glue without damaging the map underneath.

Martin

comanighttrain
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
if you frequent the area get the active map 50000:1, I use them for loch lomond area, they are water proof and the laminate makes them pretty rip proof as well. Outside of your stomping ground though I'd either photo copy or use Martins method!

Jimmy69
04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Of course, technically and actually, photocopying the map for your own use is a breach of crown copyright.
Martin

Possibly true, however i'm sure you could claim fair use under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act for research and private study. I know i study my map carefully ;)

Humakt
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
COPYRIGHT

Fair point.
Well, when I do it I'll have to be careful I don't see myself doing it or else I'll have to report myself...

Adam Savage
04-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Fair point.
Well, when I do it I'll have to be careful I don't see myself doing it or else I'll have to report myself...

That happened to a friend of mine. He caught himself camping on his own land, chased himself over a couple of fields and very nearly beat seven bells out of himself. I'm not sure if he ever went back...:)

MikeWilkinson
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
If your gonna be using that area alo, then download the software for anquet maps (it is free to download) then buy the relevent section (you just highlight the area you want on an online map and only pay for the bit you want - minimum £10 I think, which gets you 1600 sq km on a landranger map). Then you have the rights to print it out as much as you like and even use the software to add routes onto the map.

jonajuna
04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
you can copy an A4 section of any OS map for private, educational or research purposes subject to you (or the establishment you are undertaking the education or research for) actually owning the map you are copying. the old crown copyright restrictions were lifted in 1998

normal copyright acknowledgements should be applied, not that i can see anyone coming to check on that middle o' the moor ;)