PDA

View Full Version : HELP for an archaeologist

ckarchaeologist
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey guys,
I live in north essex and am desperate for large nodules of flint as I am writing a dissertation on flint napping and butchery with stone tools.
Does any one know where i can get it?
Please help am in desperate need!!
Clare

Jack Russell
03-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Hi Clare and welcome to NB. Jump onto the "introduce yourself" page on here and tell us all a bit about where you're research is at so far, we have a few players who like their stone tools, I'm sure someone will pop up in your locale with what you need! Jack

fish
03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
got loads in my garden.....in wiltshire but if you fancy a bimble ille get mrs fish to make a cake and put the kettle on .

dave budd
04-07-2011, 08:27 AM
you're best bet for good stone and some very good advice is to get in touch with Will Lord ;) He lives in Suffolk (i think) so not a huge distance from you and he would have a good source of flint in the area. The trouble with flint found in the top soil is that it gets frost fractures and that spoils the knapping big time.

Tony1948
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi Clare, welcome to the NB forum,if you want large nodules of flint I'm you'r man,I live in South Essex,around where the old cement works were right on the river,I'v used flint cutting tools for years when out huntting or just moching about,Knifes,Axes,arrow heads.I have 50 to 100 foot chalk cliffs all round me were I live with a flint layer about every 20 to 30 foot.When I worked for BLUE CIRCLE CEMENT I worked in the chalk pits we had archaeologist down there regally when we found a stone age pit in the chalk,they told us it took a milleon years to form an inch of chalk and the flint was sea weed.If you wont enny more info PM me and we can sort sumthing out.Atb............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS..............TONY