PDA

View Full Version : Yomping

comanighttrain
30-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Ello chaps.

Yomping is the walking of large distances with a load. Usually used in the military for guys carrying their kit in fitness tests but could be equally applied to carrying a lot of gear over a large distance for example getting your lug into a remote forest or, in a survival situation, getting to safety but having to carry whatever you can use to aid you (such as in several episodes of survivor man when the chap carries the seats from a plane or whatever he can salvage around).

Does anyone practice this?

Anyone with experience?

I'm sure the ex-mil boys can share some advice and happy times with yomping :D:happy-clapping:

scorpian
30-06-2011, 06:08 PM
hah, used to practice this, lugging a rucksack of fishing tackle down 300ft of cliffs on our south coast, to do overnight conger fishing, brings back good and bad memories, the bad ones being when my mate slipped a disc and i had to carry two lots of gear up the cliff and two catches of conger eel, then do the same carrying it all back to the cars!
felt like a survival situation at the time.:D

Steve

Martin
30-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, in the early 80's we used to lug 40lb rucksacks around over Dartmoor, Exmoor and Brecons for days on end. This was when I was in the Police Cadets and they considered that it was necessary training for being a police officer to be able to walk 25 miles a day carrying a dead weight on your back for absolutely no reason whatsoever. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
30-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Many a time to many I think LOL

schooner
30-06-2011, 11:11 PM
;)
Yeah, in the early 80's we used to lug 40lb rucksacks around over Dartmoor, Exmoor and Brecons for days on end. This was when I was in the Police Cadets and they considered that it was necessary training for being a police officer to be able to walk 25 miles a day carrying a dead weight on your back for absolutely no reason whatsoever. :D

Martin

Essential training for dumping a body on someone else's manor to avoid the paperwork. Allegedly.;)

comanighttrain
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
haha, paperwork would be harder these days!

Away out for a wee yomp tommorrow, training for the west highland way in august

ANDYRAF
02-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Yomping is an Marine thing, tabbing was Army and Airborne. We in the Air Force preferred a bimble, less kit more of a country amble really.

Andy

Ben Casey
02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Yomping is an Marine thing, tabbing was Army and Airborne. We in the Air Force preferred a bimble, less kit more of a country amble really.

Andy

I must have spent some time with the RAF then as I call it a bimble when I just strolling but it becomes a tab when I have full kit :D

Silverback
02-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Andy

good old RAF.... we dig in and they check in

Tony1948
02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
AND i take what i like cos I'v got a 4x4

comanighttrain
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/5/9/2593d591e93aed14a1c727766d8661e0.jpg

ANDYRAF
03-07-2011, 07:02 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/5/9/2593d591e93aed14a1c727766d8661e0.jpg

Hey now come on entertainment is important, it was HELL living in those 4 star hotels.

Silverback
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey now come on entertainment is important, it was HELL living in those 4 star hotels.

:happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

spat coffee all over my monitor

FishyFolk
16-04-2012, 07:45 PM
<--- ex infanttry signalsman....I hate batteries, and most stuff that they work in....

GalaxyRider
16-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Oh, all those sodding wet, miserable, painful, feet killing, back straining and most siginifcantly knee knackering miles.

So, nowadays, although I can probably still do the distance, speed and the weight, I try to always plan to only do any two of the three! The older I get, the better I was!

Ben Casey
16-04-2012, 09:27 PM
<--- ex infanttry signalsman....I hate batteries, and most stuff that they work in....

I hated the antenna of the UK/PRC 351/352 when running over Salisbury Plains (School of Infantry) you always had to watch it didnt hit your head and burn your ears when transmitting (but it was always fun to transmit when someone else was holding the antenna) :evilgrin: LOL

Ben

comanighttrain
16-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I hated the antenna of the UK/PRC 351/352 when running over Salisbury Plains (School of Infantry) you always had to watch it didnt hit your head and burn your ears when transmitting (but it was always fun to transmit when someone else was holding the antenna) :evilgrin: LOL

Ben

Burn your hears? that...sounds unsafe?

Ben Casey
16-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Burn your hears? that...sounds unsafe?

We had one antenna that we couldnot stand next to as it was meant to make you sterile and I once seen an American one that cooked birds when they flew by LOL
It was before we heard of health and saftey :D

m0txr
16-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Sure makes the roosting pigeons and magpies "LIFT " when I push 200w of RF down my longwire.

comanighttrain
17-04-2012, 08:01 AM
haha that is some crazy stuff!

Silverback
17-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Thats why theres always Corps ...they get to drive :) vroom, vroom

FishyFolk
17-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Thats why theres always Corps ...they get to drive :) vroom, vroom

I know about that. I did my national service in a signals regiment...we had those lovely BV 206's with nice heaters,a nd generators to power our coffee makers and TV's....

Stig of the Dump
22-04-2012, 04:12 AM
YOMP=Young Officer's Marching Pace. Anyone who's spent any time at Lympstone knows the word.it's like TABing(Tactical Advance to Battle) but faster and with more kit. Imagine tieing a small house to your back, waiting unti it's pitch black, then walking so fast you start to look like Monty Python's Inistry of Silly walks.

Mercian-Steve
15-06-2013, 03:50 PM

An old RAF friend of mine once referred to me as a "Pongo"... I quizzed why, and was told "where ever the army goes, the pong-goes". As funny as I found it, I could never show it, and just stuck to my usual "offended face".

Silverback
15-06-2013, 03:53 PM
An old RAF friend of mine once referred to me as a "Pongo"... I quizzed why, and was told "where ever the army goes, the pong-goes". As funny as I found it, I could never show it, and just stuck to my usual "offended face".

Better than being in Crab Air

Mercian-Steve
15-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Better than being in Crab Air

I have friends and family in the Air Force, so I shouldn't laugh... But I will anyway T^

Ferrell freddy
15-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Haha Yomping is all we seem to do, final ex a t Lympstone was a right laugh, ave 120lb of kit and at least 35 km per day, receiving a contact from EVERY Tor on route!

Silverback
15-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I have friends and family in the Air Force, so I shouldn't laugh... But I will anyway T^

I wouldnt admit to it....;)

Silverback
15-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Haha Yomping is all we seem to do, final ex a t Lympstone was a right laugh, ave 120lb of kit and at least 35 km per day, receiving a contact from EVERY Tor on route!

just hide out in OP 15 ;)

SimonB
15-06-2013, 09:27 PM
YOMP=Young Officer's Marching Pace. Anyone who's spent any time at Lympstone knows the word.it's like TABing(Tactical Advance to Battle) but faster and with more kit. Imagine tieing a small house to your back, waiting unti it's pitch black, then walking so fast you start to look like Monty Python's Inistry of Silly walks.

Only those not good enough for 'shot went to LIMPstone... TAB all the way.. :)

Did more tabs than a dealer at a rave....... No wonder my friggin knees are shot !!

GwersyllaCnau
15-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Have a look at my blog for the TABs I've been doing lately

http://squattscampingtripsntips.weebly.com/blog.html

SimonB
15-06-2013, 09:45 PM
T^:happy-clapping:

Great effort fella. Just watch the knees...

Ferrell freddy
16-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Just a couple of ParaVeg on cse with me, funny old thing they were the only ones to fail and be re-tested... Keep up the standards Veg!!

Silverback
16-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Just a couple of ParaVeg on cse with me, funny old thing they were the only ones to fail and be re-tested... Keep up the standards
Veg!!

Sure its not the sapper in you that got you through ? Lets face it any unit created by a supreme being has to be a little bit good ;) oolum da cried Matabele

admo919
16-06-2013, 02:28 PM
'Yomp' the reason i cant walk upstairs without the sound of grinding peppercorns in a pessel and mortar coming from my knees.

more bad memories than good, and they are relived everytime i look at several flights of stairs in one go! ;(

SimonB
16-06-2013, 06:01 PM
'Yomp' the reason i cant walk upstairs without the sound of grinding peppercorns in a pessel and mortar coming from my knees.

more bad memories than good, and they are relived everytime i look at several flights of stairs in one go! ;(

Amen to that.... Some days I get old biddy's getting up off their seat for me !!!!!

And who got the wrench monkey to talk ?.. Paraveg.. LOL

David_JAFO
16-06-2013, 06:09 PM
hello,
'Tabbing' & 'Yomping' A loaded march is known as a "Tab" in the SAS/Airborne and a "Yomp" in Royal Marines. Practiced yes, originally & as a refresher in a true survival situation with the bare essentials, usually the complete parachute, harness, & pack used as a Bergen (rucksack) the parachute folded into a sleeping bag, along with the survival tin 'bare essentials' the rest scavenged on route distance varied. Parent Regt RAF I've dug in too but never checked in BTW :wink:
Regards
David

Silverback
16-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Parent Regt RAF I've dug in too but never checked in BTW :wink:

you probably had a 'man' to do it for you then ;)

Simon sappers dont use wrenches thats left to the REME Royal Engineers Minus Education

David_JAFO
16-06-2013, 06:15 PM
hello,
:please: LMAO I like it :D Fat Chance though that's more for the other Hats & Rupert's :wink:
Regards
David

Simon sappers dont use wrenches thats left to the REME Royal Engineers Minus Education

SimonB
16-06-2013, 06:22 PM

No wonder the HGB's collapsed then if you didn't tighten the nuts and bolts !!!!

At least in 9 para they learnt to tie their bootlaces.... :p

Silverback
16-06-2013, 06:41 PM
No wonder the HGB's collapsed then if you didn't tighten the nuts and bolts !!!!

:p

Nah thats the Tankies fault

SimonB
16-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Nah thats the Tankies fault

A bad workman always blames someone else...... LOL

Silverback
16-06-2013, 06:57 PM
A bad workman always blames someone else...... LOL

I didnt build bridges na na nana na

SimonB
16-06-2013, 07:31 PM
I didnt build bridges na na nana na

Like me then... Blew a few up in the name of fun... ;)

Silverback
16-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Like me then... Blew a few up in the name of fun... ;)

couldnt possibly comment...kicked a bit of tin though

SimonB
16-06-2013, 08:26 PM
couldnt possibly comment...kicked a bit of tin though

;)

Under My Basha
24-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Tabbing I think should only be done if really needed to the cons are bad back, bad knees, bad blisters, twisted ankles and more food and water to counter the calories burnt. Few pros makes you seriously think about what you really need to pack and where you pack it, and testing to strength of packs but minus that I'd take agile over kit anyday.

Hope this helped -mick