PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!!!

bigstan
29-06-2011, 03:52 PM
It finally happened, after 20 something years my Opinel finally bit me. My fault for not paying attention. I was using the back of it to light maya feathers with the fire steel and touched the cutting edge with my thumb. Damned sore thats for sure. Still nice to know it is still sharp. Stan.

JEEP
29-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope you'll heal up nicely. Stay safe :)

Metal mug
29-06-2011, 05:00 PM
At least it wasn't a chainsaw. :)

paul standley
29-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Got a bite myself a couple of days ago off my Mora. Was thinking more about what I was going to do with the knife and not focusing on the knife itself as I drew it out of the sheath and a finger of my other hand which was holding the shealth was in the way...!

Only takes a split second... and to make matters worse, i'd only arrived on the woodland site 10 mins earlier and hadn't unpacked the rucksack except for the tarp & hammock and so I was trying to remember where the first aid kit was and unpack everything with one hand... there are a couple of lessons here I think :-)

Paul.

Proventurer
30-06-2011, 07:10 AM
That's a tuffy bigstan, still your granny would probably say you have nine good digits to work with, seriously though, I also use the back of an Opinel,(carbon steel) but I keep it closed, saw it on youtube or read it in a book somewhere, works very well, produces large hot gobs from a ferrocerium rod, with the added benefit of being safe.

bigstan
30-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Good tip there, never even crossed my mind to use it closed. Cheers for that. Stan.

andy202wr
19-07-2011, 04:05 PM
How's the Opinel, hope you havent took the edge of it!!

J_P
19-07-2011, 05:26 PM
the last 2 cuts i got over the last few years have been by using a knife with a fire steel and not through carving, and ive just worn another ferro rod in half, not bad really i suppose lol ;)

Ashley Cawley
19-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Hope it heals fast Stan.

My EDC (Svord Peasant Knife) has a protruding tang when closed which is convenient and safe to use as a Firesteel striker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfmOOT7_yy8

Even though I always have my Peasant knife on me I still prefer to use the striker that came with my mini firesteel.

JonnyP
19-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I chopped a nice slice out of my thumb, with my side axe a couple of days ago.
Its easy done if you are not paying 100% attention to what you are doing..

Mind the pinkies folk..

Ashley Cawley
19-07-2011, 06:28 PM
And... never take for granted that your sharp is sheathed when it's been in your rucksack, buckles come undone, always look first - that's the only time I've cut myself with an Axe but it was certainly bad enough! :(

markal17
27-07-2011, 03:04 AM
iv got a lofty survival knife dam thing has a cutting edge on the top front its cut me lods of times not good in the dark lol

bigstan
27-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I have healed nicely now but being diabetic usually it takes longer. The theme throughout this thread tells me what i have always known. Dont let yourself get complacent with any sharps. Thanks for all the replies, i even learned from the experience. Cheers. Stan.