PDA

View Full Version : Buzzard on Dartmoor

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2010, 08:23 PM
On a recent trip to Dartmoor had this buzzard soaring above us, I took a few snaps:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TMWjau0NtGI/AAAAAAABEzM/scQ66Sxnkhc/s800/IMG_4562.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TMWjRktEVhI/AAAAAAABExo/lixCxTonovg/s800/IMG_4550.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TMWjVREXVZI/AAAAAAABEyo/TosC44XBD_c/s800/IMG_4556.JPG

Shortly after taking this photo it swooped down and took away my mate Scott.

I was chuffed with the shots as there some of the best I've taken of a Buzzard. Anyone else got any good shots of a Buzzard? Perhaps looking mean perched on something? :)

JonnyP
21-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Nice shots.. Shame about Scott though..

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Nice shots.. Shame about Scott though..
It was well worth live-baiting for the right shot though.

Martin
21-11-2010, 09:58 PM
To be honest, Scott was expendable. If things had got bad, we were planning on hollowing him out and using him as an emergency shelter. ;)

Martin

CanadianMike
21-11-2010, 11:26 PM
^^^Lol!^^^

Why does that look like a hawk to me? Buzzards over here are butt ugly, and that is a beauty of a bird right there. Maybe ours are uglier due to the European/North American exchange rate?

Shewie
21-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow those are crackers Ash, my attempts at snapping moving birds usually result in lots of blurred shots.

Martin
21-11-2010, 11:41 PM
^^^Lol!^^^

Why does that look like a hawk to me? Buzzards over here are butt ugly, and that is a beauty of a bird right there. Maybe ours are uglier due to the European/North American exchange rate?

Our European Buzzard (Butteo Butteo) is a really beautiful bird and is now the most widespread bird of prey in the UK. It's a shame about its common name because it does sound pretty ugly, but it is a beautiful sight to see them soaring and, up close, they are wonderful. It is also quite a large bird and can have a wingspan up to 60".

Martin

CanadianMike
21-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Over here buzzard and vulture are basically the same thing, at least the image that comes to mind................ hehe, just Googled buzzard, and go figure, all the images that came up are both the buzzard Ashley 'shot' and vultures. Somehow I'm not surprised.

leon-1
22-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the pictures Ash, it's one of my favourite birds.

luresalive
22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
They are crackin pics, well done!

dave budd
22-11-2010, 05:16 PM
great pictures Ash. I see buzzards almost daily, but never have a camera with me when I see them close up or perched.I've seen three sat on top of consecutive telegraph pole down the road into my village before. I did have one that would perch on the chimney coming out of my workshop and I would usually notice it as it took off across the field next door.

Ashley Cawley
22-11-2010, 06:02 PM
great pictures Ash. I see buzzards almost daily, but never have a camera with me when I see them close up or perched.I've seen three sat on top of consecutive telegraph pole down the road into my village before. I did have one that would perch on the chimney coming out of my workshop and I would usually notice it as it took off across the field next door.

Superb! :) ... but three?.. there's always that one guy that's gota top your story ain't there! ;) They must have been related I presume? or was there some courting going on?

I'm jealous of my dad RE Buzzard views; he was recently driving toward Bodmin one misty morning, to come across a roundabout with a stone Celtic cross in the middle, amongst the mist perched upon it was the meanest looking Buzzard you ever did see! - It's beautiful seeing some perched, they don't half look mean sometimes :cool:

dave budd
23-11-2010, 04:20 PM
mostly they looked pissed off when I see them on the poles :D You win though, you managed to get the pictures!

Mouldsy
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Cracking Pics mate, the buzzard is one of my favourite birds.

paul standley
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Ash... Is this your way of saying "don't mess with me in a photo competition" ? ...I've put my brownie back in it's box, was dusting it off tonight but just had second thoughts :-)

Ashley Cawley
27-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Ash... Is this your way of saying "don't mess with me in a photo competition" ? ...I've put my brownie back in it's box, was dusting it off tonight but just had second thoughts :-)

Noo... :p I posted this thread before the Photo competition one appeared!

Jeime_outdoors
15-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow what a beautiful bird, what type of camera & lens do you use ? :)

Fletching
16-01-2011, 12:16 AM
...European Buzzard (Butteo Butteo) ...Martin

If you say that in Manchester, they'll bring you a chip sandwich. ;)

rossbird
29-09-2011, 12:22 AM
If you say that in Manchester, they'll bring you a chip sandwich. ;)

I resemble that remark:D

garethw
29-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi Ash,
Nice shots... Buzzards are really common here in northern France too. I remember a few years ago going fishing with my young son. We were driving down the autoroute between Reims and Chalons and played a count the buzzard game. I was amazed that in the 100 odd kms we drove we counted over 100 buzzards sat on the fence posts... I guess the autoroutes offer prime hunting grounds for them...
cheers
Gareth